Just for my own reference, what would be considered a "Good" source for headphones such as the HD650's by the owners here?
Recent Images In This Thread
- productSennheiser HD 650 Headphonestagged by System, 5/6/10
Related Forum Threads
- Sennheiser x Massdrop HD6XX Review / Preview - Head-Fi TV Last post on Today at 8:52 pm in Headphones (full-size)
- HD 650s keep breaking, is it my own ignorace? Last post on 7/11/16 at 4:33pm in Introductions, Help and Recommendations
- Desktop or Portable Amp/DAC for Sennheiser HD650 Last post on 8/14/15 at 3:54am in Introductions, Help and Recommendations
- Headphone Results With The Pono (or other DAPs) Last post on 12/23/15 at 9:48am in Headphones (full-size)
- Flattest, Most Neutral IEMs For Recording, Mixing, and Mastering Last post on 2/19/15 at 11:24am in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
Last edited: 11/28/16
I love the openness and light weight of earbuds, unfortunately those earbuds I tried such as OMX95, MX375, were lack of bass and musicality. Then I found Fiio EM3 is under $10 and got good review,...
I had K3003i with a custom cable. I bough it used and the cable had been replaced and the seller assured not sound different to original I loved it. I used it with Fiio X3 2nd Gen. I liked the...
Compared to nothing (in the way of noise cancelling) these are better than that. Damning with faint praise? Yeah, I guess so, but really what can you expect for the price. Sony makes a product...
There seems to be a lot of issues with the sound quality for these 2nd gen Bose phones. These came out before wireless headphones were in any significant use, and when few other companies were...
*This is a slightly revised and updated version of my original review from September of 2014. The Bass Colour was a good earphone two years ago and at it's current price of 29.99 USD on Penon Audio...
Sennheiser HD650 Impressions Thread - Page 101
Gear mentioned in this thread:
It may be mischievous but I'll be darned if there isn't a grain of truth to it.
A good source is one that will make you feel happy with the HD650s since us HD650 enthusiasts feel that if you don't like them, then it must be something to do with the gear, like the source you're using? So if you're in audio nirvana with the HD650's, be sure to let us know what source you're using since it must be good!!
My less mischievous response would be that I don't think that the HD650's are particularly demanding with a source. I had my first great experience with them using a Fubar III. They've always sounded great with all the sources I use them with.
Edited by aimlink - 8/4/10 at 12:01pm
True, but they do scale very well with better gear. Quite insidious that way.
I've been pretty happy with my HD650's for the month that I've had them. Spacious music, especially for classical, with tight punchy bass. I haven't noticed any darkness in the mids, but that may be because I am powering them with a fairly warm tube amp (Elekit TU-882).
Hopefully my upgradeitis will stay controlled for a while since I'm afraid of the next purchase!
I just got my 650s in and am listening to Okkervil River. I must say I am really happy with my purchase.
I am still saving for an amp but am using a Zero DAC with an Audio-GD "Moon" Opamp in the DAC section and OPA2134s in the headamp section; the setup sounds much better than I expected given the reputation these phones have as being hard to drive.
Don't worry, I'm in your camp, "team strange" I don't like HD800 :)
Just got my second pair of HD650. I sold the first a few months ago, and though I was using some expensive HE-5LE I was missing them :-)
Sold the HE-5 and now I'm driving the senn with a Earmax: this match is just brilliant. Period.
Hence why I was unable to let my HD650s go. Congratulations!
- Sennheiser HD650 Impressions Thread
- › Campfire Audio Vega (and Dorado and Lyra II) - Head-Fi TV 15 seconds ago
- › New Grace Design m920 DAC/amp with DSD decoding 59 seconds ago
- › Hifiman he-400i Impressions and Discussion 1 minute ago
- › AAW Capri Balanced Lightning Audio Cable, with Type-C variant 1 minute ago
- › Knowledge Zenith (KZ) impressions thread 2 minutes ago
- › Music Game IX 2 minutes ago
- › Rate The Last Movie You Watched 3 minutes ago
- › ONKYO DP-X1 | Dual Sabre Dacs | Balanced | Sabre BTL Amp | MQA |... 4 minutes ago
- › Xiaomi In-Ear Headphones Pro HD (2 +1 Hybrid) 5 minutes ago
- › The Tip-Rolling/IEM Modification Thread 5 minutes ago
- › 1MORE Triple Driver In-Ear Headphones with In-line Microphone and... by HiFiChris
- › FiiO EM3 Open Earbud Earphones with In-Line Microphone (Black) by Joeng Zeon
- › AKG K3003 by sanjeewasam
- › Sony MDRNC8/BLK Noise Canceling Headphone, Black by dalesky
- › Bose QuietComfort 25 Headphones by dalesky
- › Don Scorpio Bass Colour by B9Scrambler
- › Xiaomi Mi Hybrid Earphone In-Ear Headphones Multi-unit Circle Iron... by junhawng
- › Bang & Olufsen BeoPlay H3 by 8hours
- › MEE audio Pinnacle P1 High Fidelity Audiophile In-Ear Headphones... by SeeSax
- › Massdrop x Noble X Universal IEM by WCDchee
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Travel Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (CanJams)
- › FiiO X3II DAP firmwares with custom themes
- › Flawless Album Suggestions
- › The Audiophile Scene in a Third World Country...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide:...
- › Chord Mojo FAQ
- › Head-Fi Logo Gear