or Connect
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Sennheiser HD650 Impressions Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Sennheiser HD650 Impressions Thread - Page 989

post #14821 of 36831

I just got the hd650 HP.  which would sound better? fiio e09k w/ e17 or the magni and modi?  I care most is the sound.  Thanks

post #14822 of 36831

Modi and Magni, IMO

post #14823 of 36831
Quote:
Originally Posted by skeptic View Post
 

The higher mu is also going to translate into higher gain which may or may not be an issue for you depending on your source, attenuator an

whether or not you're comfortable padding your pot.  (see http://www.goldpt.com/mods.html)

 

 

Hi again.

 

Thought I would follow on that I have a 23 Step Ladder Attenuator on its way and  some 270K, 0.25W resistors arrived yesterday to temper down the gain a little if needed.

 

I would be very interested to hear how your modded up Crack compares with your Mainline?


Edited by JamieMcC - 12/14/13 at 1:13am
post #14824 of 36831
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdrm360 View Post
 

Modi and Magni, IMO

 

+1

post #14825 of 36831
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uchiya View Post
 

+1

post #14826 of 36831

Yeah, not a real fan of the HD650 + E09K. 

post #14827 of 36831

''Honey, I'm hooome!''

 

After a little time away with the HE-400 I can safely say, and I mean safely, that to me the 650 is the lovelier hp. I can actually listen to music without touching volume/eq or putting them down all annoyed. It makes that stretch of a difference.

Allright I'm bashing the HE-400 but I'm in a safe place here ;)

post #14828 of 36831
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamieMcC View Post
 

 

Hi again.

 

Thought I would follow on that I have a 23 Step Ladder Attenuator on its way and  some 270K, 0.25W resistors arrived yesterday to temper down the gain a little if needed.

 

I would be very interested to hear how your modded up Crack compares with your Mainline?

 

Nice!  I'll be interested to hear your impressions on how the new attenuator sounds!  270k seems like it might be a little high to run in series with the input though.  If you take a look at the tables on the goldpoint site (http://www.goldpt.com/mods.html), and depending on the value of your new attenuator, you can pick R1 and R2 values that will preserve the amp's input impedance while reducing the volume by a certain number of db's.  For instance, if you want -20db, with a 100k pot, each channel should have a 82.5k ohm resistor inserted between the input and pot, and also a 10k ohm resistor shunting from the pot input to pot ground.   

 

With respect to a crack vs. mainline comparison, my general comments are here (see post 46): http://www.head-fi.org/t/662240/mainline-new-bottlehead-premium-headphone-amp/45 .  All my mainline listening to date has been with hd800's though, so my comments may or may not translate perfectly to hd650's.  I'll have to make a point of spending some time with that pairing sometime soon.  I also have some AD's on order that should be shipping out in the next couple weeks that I'm eager to hear with the mainline.

post #14829 of 36831
Quote:
Originally Posted by skeptic View Post
 

 

Nice!  I'll be interested to hear your impressions on how the new attenuator sounds!  270k seems like it might be a little high to run in series with the input though.  If you take a look at the tables on the goldpoint site (http://www.goldpt.com/mods.html), and depending on the value of your new attenuator, you can pick R1 and R2 values that will preserve the amp's input impedance while reducing the volume by a certain number of db's.  For instance, if you want -20db, with a 100k pot, each channel should have a 82.5k ohm resistor inserted between the input and pot, and also a 10k ohm resistor shunting from the pot input to pot ground.  

 

With respect to a crack vs. mainline comparison, my general comments are here (see post 46): http://www.head-fi.org/t/662240/mainline-new-bottlehead-premium-headphone-amp/45 .  All my mainline listening to date has been with hd800's though, so my comments may or may not translate perfectly to hd650's.  I'll have to make a point of spending some time with that pairing sometime soon.  I also have some AD's on order that should be shipping out in the next couple weeks that I'm eager to hear with the mainline.

 

We crossed wires the 270K, 0.25W resistors were not for the attenuator but for fitting inline with the RCA inputs the attenuator is Vlabs all ready made up.

Thanks for spotting the potential issue though and the good advice.

post #14830 of 36831
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chinafbi View Post
 

I just got the hd650 HP.  which would sound better? fiio e09k w/ e17 or the magni and modi?  I care most is the sound.  Thanks

 

Magni + Modi is good, but O2 + Modi is even better :biggrin:

 

One amp I really liked for the HD-650 that's not too expensive is the iFi iCAN. It's better for those that have minor nit-picks (like me) with the O2.

It drives the HD-650 just fine and still manages to sound great with my K400 and Q701.

post #14831 of 36831

For those who have a BH Crack, I'd like to make a tube recco:

 

Mazda CIFTE 12AU7

 

It's great for a lot of music.. but if you listen to a lot of hip hop or electronica.. or anything rhythmic, really.. this is must have tube, IMO.  I don't want to go too much into the sound.. just trust me.  It takes a good twenty hours to break in, too.  It's not super cheap (~$50).. but it's one of the few 12AU7 I absolutely cherish... and would buy again in a heartbeat if it was to leave my possession.  Heck, I'll probably buy one as a back up soon.  I have it paired with the TS 5998.  It sounded wonderful with the HD600.. but with the HD650:

post #14832 of 36831
I tried that tube with 5998 and GEC 6AS7 to drive HD700/800 but preferred Mullard E80CC instead, also Sylvania 8514 pairs great with 5998, have a pair for sale if anyone interested
post #14833 of 36831

Mazda CIFTE 12AU7, damn can't use on the Lyr huh?

post #14834 of 36831
Originally Posted by olegausany View Post

I tried that tube with 5998 and GEC 6AS7 to drive HD700/800 but preferred Mullard E80CC instead, also Sylvania 8514 pairs great with 5998, have a pair for sale if anyone interested

 

Yep.. I've used the 5998/CIFTE combo with the HD800 too.. it wasn't as good a combo as some other tubes.  I cane see why you liked the Mullard with the 800.. it'll get some meat on the HD800's "wispy" mids.

Now, the 5998/CIFTE with the HD650.. that's a whole lotta awesome, my friend.

 
Originally Posted by Alexnova View Post
 

Mazda CIFTE 12AU7, damn can't use on the Lyr huh?

 

Does the Lyr only roll 6V tubes?  If so, the CIFTE wouldn't be an option, unfortunately.  I don't think a 6v variant was made (a tragedy!).

post #14835 of 36831

I'd be remiss not to mention the mix I was rocking with the 5998 / CIFTE / HD650.

** I am not responsible for any neck injuries sustained as a result of rocking out to this music **

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Sennheiser HD650 Impressions Thread