or Connect
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Sennheiser HD650 Impressions Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Sennheiser HD650 Impressions Thread - Page 982

post #14716 of 36903
Quote:
Originally Posted by Solarium View Post
 

 It's less harsh on my ears as well, and more of a flowing feeling, almost as if I were carried by soothing ocean waves.

That is a good description of the 650! :beerchug:

post #14717 of 36903

Packing up the HD598 to be returned. Feeling nostalgic, but looking forward to the future with HD650 :D

post #14718 of 36903

Hello,

 

Got myself a a-couple-of-months-old second hand HD650 reserved for tomorrow.

 

Having read Mad Lust Envy's gaming-oriented review on the cans, I'd like to know if soundstage and positioning is indeed in need of improvement. I love listening to music and from what I've read, not one time I came across with a review criticising HD650, so I'm definitely into this pair, so I was wondering if cable/amp etc. upgrade could improve soundstage and positioning of the headphones.

 

I'll be pairing this with a  Asus Xonar U7 for starters but what else can I do, if I ever can ? Or should I give up on HD650 and look somewhere else?

 

Thank you.

post #14719 of 36903

Strange, I've been listening to the 650, and sometimes on the vocals there seems to be some kind of reverb (as though the same singer is whispering the same song at the same time). I never noticed this with the 598, not sure what's it called.

post #14720 of 36903

 

I currently have Audinst HUD mini dac/amp. it drives low impedence headphones like hd518 well. As its a USB powered device without a wall plug, I believe its not a very powerful amp. Maybe something like FiioE10.

 

I plan to upgrade to HD650 or perhaps AKG Q701. I understand HD650 needs lots of power, and HUD mini will not bring it to its full potential.

 

But will I hear an upgrade with 650 over HD518 or will it sound even worse with mini? I plan to pick a dedicated amp like schiit vali but that has to wait a few months.

 

Also if someone has heard all HD518, HD650, AKG Q701, can you tell which is more transparent with least grain?

 

I enjoy sound sig of 518 a lot but I also want to try different signatures. is Q701 mellow and dark or bright and thin sounding?

 

Thanks in advance.

post #14721 of 36903

As i´ve read some of the Vali thread, the headphone users there say the HD650 doesn´t pair good with the vali.I´ve read about a good pairing with the bottlehead crack and i own a little dot that has me satisfied with the HD650.

post #14722 of 36903
Quote:
Originally Posted by superdux View Post
 

As i´ve read some of the Vali thread, the headphone users there say the HD650 doesn´t pair good with the vali.I´ve read about a good pairing with the bottlehead crack and i own a little dot that has me satisfied with the HD650.

 

Is there another Vali thread I'm not aware of? The one I've followed closely contains very positive impressions of the Vali driven HD650. Or are you dismissing the unanimous feedback from a number of members, in favour of one vocal individual? Your loss if so.


Edited by olor1n - 12/9/13 at 5:33am
post #14723 of 36903

So according to this: http://www.head-fi.org/t/571005/the-panasonic-rp-htf600-s-headphones-more-fun-than-the-hd650 The HTF600s are better than the HD650s. Should I save myself the ~$400 and just get the HTF600s?

post #14724 of 36903
Quote:
Originally Posted by PopLocker View Post
 

So according to this: http://www.head-fi.org/t/571005/the-panasonic-rp-htf600-s-headphones-more-fun-than-the-hd650 The HTF600s are better than the HD650s. Should I save myself the ~$400 and just get the HTF600s?

 

To be honest they are so cheap why not just go ahead and try them you might really like them.

 

A important thing to keep in mind when reading such comparison's to be aware that the end results are very chain dependant you need to know what makes up the reviewers chain, it does not matter if you plug in $1000 pair of cans in they will only be as good as the weakest part of your audio chain allow them to be.


Edited by JamieMcC - 12/9/13 at 12:52am
post #14725 of 36903
Quote:
Originally Posted by olor1n View Post
 

 

Is there another Vali thread I'm not aware of? The one I've followed closely contains very positive impressions of the Vali driven HD650. Or are you dismissing the unanimous feedback from a number of members, in favour of one vocal individual? Your loss if so.


Well i hadn't read all the thread so my perception might of been influenced by the discussion going on there at that point of time.The best would be to read the whole thread to get a good opinion.

post #14726 of 36903
I finally broke down and ordered a pair of these. I have been fighting the urge for weeks. I just have to see for myself. For now I am going to have to try them with a Dragonfly I also ordered this weekend. I realize it's not a lot of power but I have read it is adequate. My only other option is my Nuforce icon ido. In checking specs though it has the same power as the dragonfly. Maybe some time next year I can get into the money pit of tubes.
post #14727 of 36903
Quote:
Originally Posted by Solarium View Post
 

Packing up the HD598 to be returned. Feeling nostalgic, but looking forward to the future with HD650 :D


Every good things must end ;)

I'm in the same boat, since I got the 650, I spend all my time on them.
post #14728 of 36903
I have just picked up a new HD650 a few days ago.Innitially the bass sounded sloppy,after letting it burn for 3 days it has tightened up.Overall I find the bass a little bit on the dominant side,but it seems to be getting better over time.I found that after loosening up the clamping force on my big head that increases the distance from the driver to my ears and that also seemed to add more control to the bass.Overall I suspect it will be good to my ears after a week of burn in.
post #14729 of 36903
Quote:
Originally Posted by dfarina View Post

I have just picked up a new HD650 a few days ago.Innitially the bass sounded sloppy,after letting it burn for 3 days it has tightened up.Overall I find the bass a little bit on the dominant side,but it seems to be getting better over time.I found that after loosening up the clamping force on my big head that increases the distance from the driver to my ears and that also seemed to add more control to the bass.Overall I suspect it will be good to my ears after a week of burn in.


Another fine candidate for the HD600! Have you tried it? I feel the same way as you every time I listen to the HD650. I always end up going back to the HD600! 

post #14730 of 36903

Hey gang.. for those who are familiar with the HD600 & HD650.. do you find the HD650 more resolving than the HD600?  Also, how does soundstage depth compare between the HD600 & HD650?  If I do take a shot at the HD650, it'll be driven by a SB'ed BH Crack.

 

I've owned the HD600 (twice), HE-500 (twice).. and the HD800 (I've loved all these phones).  Oddly enough, I haven't spent any meaningful time with the HD650 (I heard them briefly many years ago.. and have completely forgotten how they sound), so I'm thinking about giving them a shot just for s&g.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Sennheiser HD650 Impressions Thread