I haven't heard the Vali, but the Modi does pair quite nicely with the Bottlehead Crack, or with my Pioneer SA-8500 or Marantz 2230.
Recent Images In This Thread
- productSennheiser HD 650 Headphonestagged by System, 5/6/10
Related Forum Threads
- Local stores in New york and UK? Also a poll Last post on 1/21/15 at 3:04am in Headphones (full-size)
- High-End Over-Ear Discussion Last post on 1/20/15 at 1:53pm in Headphones (full-size)
- What's a sensible upgrade from my HD650's ? Last post on 1/23/15 at 8:16pm in Introductions, Help and Recommendations
- I've been away for a while ... closed-back HD600/HD650 soundalikes? Last post on 1/16/15 at 11:19am in Introductions, Help and Recommendations
- Best-value combination for PC gaming? Last post on 1/10/15 at 11:54am in Headphones (full-size)
I tried the v-moda m100 a few months ago when I purchased it and deciding between them and the hd 650. In the end I kept the 650, these headphones are without a doubt pretty overpriced for the...
Me: I am a 21 year old Engineering student living in a small town in India. I would like to call myself a music enthusiast, rather than an audiophile. I was inspired by music since childhood, and...
It seems petty to complain about a $100 hi-res/high capacity player, but I'll give it whirl. It might help to understand that I've been using iPods and iTunes since Apple came out with the...
I have to talk about my expectation on this Headphone first. I am not a senior audiophile. 3 years ago, my first pair of AKG K601 lead me into this wonderful world of audiophile. This pair...
IEMs I own and have used extensively before: Vsonic GR07 (single dynamic), Vsonic VC1000 (dual BA), Etymotic HF5 (single BA) (all around or slightly above $100). Fit and Comfort The...
Sennheiser HD650 Impressions Thread - Page 978
Gear mentioned in this thread:
I get the feeling that this happens often. believe what you believe, dont project your beliefs on others. Sound quality is subjective. Give your opinion then drop it.
If I am misinterpreting what is going on, forgive me, I am a few drinks in.
I actually haven't heard anything the Modi doesn't pair well with. It's really that good and I do believe it's very neutral with no emphasis anywhere.
I compared it for hours with the ODAC and found them so close in sound that I ended up selling my ODAC. Both are good.
Neither are super revealing detail monsters and almost a little forgiving. I actually did not hear this until I tried the T90 and got a new (slightly more expensive) DAC.
I think the Modi is one of Schiit's best products and i'm kind of a fanboy of it. I probably sound like I hate Schiit products but I've been through so many of their amps and disliked most of them. Magni was pretty OK. I should probably stop buying their stuff already. The Vali just left me frustrated and annoyed.
BTW IMO the Modi is easily one of the best budget DACs (under $200) there is for the HD-650. Can't go wrong with the ODAC as well. Some say the ODAC is better but I couldn't hear it. I actually had the HRT MSII before buying the ODAC.
Thinking about your question another way the Cracks ability in transparency is beyond that which my HD650 in standard form can resolve if that's any help. Plugging the T1's into the Crack and it will resolve details that my own HD 650 clearly misses and the Crack 650 combo is well know for its superb synergy they really are a killer combo..
Thanks for the reply!
O2 is quite quite popular solid state amp (not tube). Its synergy with HD650 is also quite popular. So, wanted to check if anyone who has used both (O2 and Crack) can provide some input. My current rig is DX100 > O2 > HD650.
If you already have one it will work as entry level and you will upgrade when you have more money but if you want to buy it now instead of DAC and Amp to save money then it step in wrong direction
Essentially, after three years of going through various IEMs and cans and amps and DACs, I found I'd inadvertently begun to ruin the experience of listening to music on headphones. I fell into the classic (but initially almost unavoidable) audiophile trap of listening to the gear, not the music. I developed a kind of ADD whereby I would skip to the next song seconds after the 'best bit' of the previous song, I'd listen to the intro of Prefar Sprout's When Love Breaks Down again and again, instead of listening to my favourite tunes. I was just listening for dynamics and decay and soundstage and so on and I felt quite disconnected from music, except when I was listening in the car. I'd got the 650s and was hoping this would somehow solve my problem but alas, they were probably the worst culprits because listening to them without proper amplification (E9) was such a 'nearly' experience. They sounded good but it wasn't all I'd hoped for, to be honest.
Enter the Bottlehead Crack. Now I almost never skip anything. I can listen to pretty much any song I have and I'm almost compelled to listen right through - or rather, more accurately, I don't want to turn it off. I've no desire to skip because it all sounds great. There's detail, there's decay and dynamics and and so on but I take it in as part of the whole. I'm not sure whether this is the much-fabled 'tube sound', whether it's the synergy of Crack and 650 or whether something else has clicked into place but they have me excited about listening to music again. I want to listen to them now and I know that when I get in from work, I'll head up to my listening den and slip them on and have a dance round before my missus gets home. I look forward to listening to pretty much any song I can think of because I know it will just sound great, not too much of anything, nothing to take me out of the experience, just the feeling of listening to music as it was before I knew about audiophile gear. I've been down the rabbit hole but I think I'm cured...
...just as soon as I've got that Speedball upgrade.
Nice! I have a few vintage receivers myself and I find that Modi pairs great with all. I now use the Bifrost Uber to pair with my two favorite amps which are the Marantz 2230 and Sansui 6060. Been listening to these vintage amps lately and haven't touched other headphone amps for quite some time now…
- Sennheiser HD650 Impressions Thread
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- › Geek Pulse: Geek desktop DAC/AMP by Light Harmonics 1 minute ago
- › Novice Need advice for good gaming/positional sound headphone 1 minute ago
- › Fiio E17k Alpen 2 Announced (23/12/2014) 2 minutes ago
- › Sony MDR-1R series MK2 3 minutes ago
- › The Deals DISCUSSION Thread (READ THE FIRST POST!!!) 4 minutes ago
- › Band Name Game II 4 minutes ago
- › On a mission to like jazz 5 minutes ago
- › *Official Schiit Magni/Modi 2 ( Uber ) Thread* 5 minutes ago
- › Emotiva Stealth DC-1 DAC 6 minutes ago
- › Music Game IX 6 minutes ago
- › V-MODA Crossfade M-100 by Spiderman
- › Audinst HUD-mx2 by YoYo JoKeR
- › FiiO X1 Ultraportable Hi-Res DAP by koloseij
- › Sony MDR-Z7 by Nap-Chiang
- › Noble 4 by Airlight
- › ROCK JAW KOMMAND BA + Dynamic hybrid by Brooko
- › HiFiMAN RE-400 by Apex Eight
- › Westone UM Pro30 High Performance Triple Driver Universal Fit... by Sort
- › Audio-Technica ATH-WS99 | SOLID BASS Portable Headphones (Japan... by Mottom
- › MEElectronics M9 Classic Hi-Fi Noise-Isolating In-Ear Headphones by Kenny Ingram
- › The Great FiiO DAP FAQ Wiki
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Gaming Headphones)