I haven't heard the Vali, but the Modi does pair quite nicely with the Bottlehead Crack, or with my Pioneer SA-8500 or Marantz 2230.
Recent Images In This Thread
- productSennheiser HD 650 Headphonestagged by System, 5/6/10
Related Forum Threads
- New desktop setup... Last post on 11/25/14 at 3:01pm in Headphones (full-size)
- AKG K702 65th + K7xx (massdrop) Keep? Or Return? Last post on Yesterday at 12:07 am in Headphones (full-size)
- HD650 on sale Last post on 11/20/14 at 3:43pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Sennheiser HD600 for trade with good tablet (Galaxy Pro 8.4 or V500 by LG plus possible cash... Last post on 11/11/14 at 2:01pm in Headphones for Sale / Trade
- Looking for a close and portable version of HD 650 Last post on 11/22/14 at 9:40am in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
Last edited: Yesterday
The new iteration of the Brainwavz R3 is an intriguing earphone. They’re large earphones, each side containing two dynamic drivers in big pill shaped aluminium housings. They currently retail for...
INTRODUCTION First of all, a big THANK YOU to Michael Lin from FIDUE for providing the review unit. It is much appreciated, and my humble ears are feeling so incredibly honoured to be...
iBasso D-Zero MKII Review iBasso is a very common name out there on the forums now, with their DX50 and DX90 gaining a rather large user base. I have reviewed both the DX50 and DX90 and I found...
These headphones generally are excellent. They possess this remarkable mixture of openness and intimacy at the same time. There’s a true sense of soundstage, with a good width and depth and still...
Brainwavz S0 Quick Review Thanks to mp4nation for the sample. Full Review here http://www.head-fi.org/t/743834/brainwavz-s0-review-by-mark2410 Brief: The S5 has a baby...
Sennheiser HD650 Impressions Thread - Page 978
Gear mentioned in this thread:
I get the feeling that this happens often. believe what you believe, dont project your beliefs on others. Sound quality is subjective. Give your opinion then drop it.
If I am misinterpreting what is going on, forgive me, I am a few drinks in.
I actually haven't heard anything the Modi doesn't pair well with. It's really that good and I do believe it's very neutral with no emphasis anywhere.
I compared it for hours with the ODAC and found them so close in sound that I ended up selling my ODAC. Both are good.
Neither are super revealing detail monsters and almost a little forgiving. I actually did not hear this until I tried the T90 and got a new (slightly more expensive) DAC.
I think the Modi is one of Schiit's best products and i'm kind of a fanboy of it. I probably sound like I hate Schiit products but I've been through so many of their amps and disliked most of them. Magni was pretty OK. I should probably stop buying their stuff already. The Vali just left me frustrated and annoyed.
BTW IMO the Modi is easily one of the best budget DACs (under $200) there is for the HD-650. Can't go wrong with the ODAC as well. Some say the ODAC is better but I couldn't hear it. I actually had the HRT MSII before buying the ODAC.
tdockweiler: Try posting without always saying "You [whatever]". That's why people are getting pissed off. Discuss the gear, not the person.
Thinking about your question another way the Cracks ability in transparency is beyond that which my HD650 in standard form can resolve if that's any help. Plugging the T1's into the Crack and it will resolve details that my own HD 650 clearly misses and the Crack 650 combo is well know for its superb synergy they really are a killer combo..
Thanks for the reply!
O2 is quite quite popular solid state amp (not tube). Its synergy with HD650 is also quite popular. So, wanted to check if anyone who has used both (O2 and Crack) can provide some input. My current rig is DX100 > O2 > HD650.
If you already have one it will work as entry level and you will upgrade when you have more money but if you want to buy it now instead of DAC and Amp to save money then it step in wrong direction
Essentially, after three years of going through various IEMs and cans and amps and DACs, I found I'd inadvertently begun to ruin the experience of listening to music on headphones. I fell into the classic (but initially almost unavoidable) audiophile trap of listening to the gear, not the music. I developed a kind of ADD whereby I would skip to the next song seconds after the 'best bit' of the previous song, I'd listen to the intro of Prefar Sprout's When Love Breaks Down again and again, instead of listening to my favourite tunes. I was just listening for dynamics and decay and soundstage and so on and I felt quite disconnected from music, except when I was listening in the car. I'd got the 650s and was hoping this would somehow solve my problem but alas, they were probably the worst culprits because listening to them without proper amplification (E9) was such a 'nearly' experience. They sounded good but it wasn't all I'd hoped for, to be honest.
Enter the Bottlehead Crack. Now I almost never skip anything. I can listen to pretty much any song I have and I'm almost compelled to listen right through - or rather, more accurately, I don't want to turn it off. I've no desire to skip because it all sounds great. There's detail, there's decay and dynamics and and so on but I take it in as part of the whole. I'm not sure whether this is the much-fabled 'tube sound', whether it's the synergy of Crack and 650 or whether something else has clicked into place but they have me excited about listening to music again. I want to listen to them now and I know that when I get in from work, I'll head up to my listening den and slip them on and have a dance round before my missus gets home. I look forward to listening to pretty much any song I can think of because I know it will just sound great, not too much of anything, nothing to take me out of the experience, just the feeling of listening to music as it was before I knew about audiophile gear. I've been down the rabbit hole but I think I'm cured...
...just as soon as I've got that Speedball upgrade.
Nice! I have a few vintage receivers myself and I find that Modi pairs great with all. I now use the Bifrost Uber to pair with my two favorite amps which are the Marantz 2230 and Sansui 6060. Been listening to these vintage amps lately and haven't touched other headphone amps for quite some time now…
- Sennheiser HD650 Impressions Thread
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- › The Nameless Guide To PC Gaming Audio (with binaural headphone... 24 seconds ago
- › Final Audio Design Impressions and Discussion Thread 1 minute ago
- › iFi iDSD Micro DSD512 / PCM768 DAC and Headphone Amp. Impressions,... 1 minute ago
- › The NEW Cayin C5 portable power house. 1 minute ago
- › Confused : Sennheiser CX 180 Street II Vs Mi In-ear... 3 minutes ago
- › You Know You're an Audiophile When.. Version 2! 4 minutes ago
- › AudioQuest NightHawk Headphone Unveiled Today 4 minutes ago
- › What Are You Listening To Right Now? -New thread, new rules. Please... 4 minutes ago
- › Fiio X5 Thread - info updated on Jan 17th 2014 5 minutes ago
- › Philips Fidelio X2?! 5 minutes ago
- › Brainwavz R3 Revised Edition by lecky
- › FIDUE A71 Dual Dynamic Drivers Hi-Fi Earphones by djvkool
- › iBasso Audio D-Zero MK2 by lin0003
- › Audio Technica ATH-A900X | Art Monitor Headphones (Japan Import) by Mink
- › Brainwavz S0 In-Ear Headphones by mark2410
- › Creative Sound Blaster E3 Headphone Amplifier by ClieOS
- › Blue Microphones Mo-Fi Powered High-Fidelity Headphones with... by MacedonianHero
- › Basic K3 by nino9
- › Cowon iAUDIO 7 16Gb by Climber
- › Audio-Technica ATH-AD700X Audiophile Open-Air Headphones by TheHeadPhoneGuy
- › The Great FiiO DAP FAQ Wiki
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Gaming Headphones)