I haven't heard the Vali, but the Modi does pair quite nicely with the Bottlehead Crack, or with my Pioneer SA-8500 or Marantz 2230.
Recent Images In This Thread
- productSennheiser HD 650 Headphonestagged by System, 5/6/10
Related Forum Threads
- Sennheiser wireless RS 220 and how to best use it Last post on 10/6/14 at 8:55am in Headphones (full-size)
- Anything like a right-angle jack for Sennheiser headphones? Last post on 10/1/14 at 6:21pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Portable over-the-ear headphones recommendations needed Last post on 10/2/14 at 6:27am in Introductions, Help and Recommendations
- hd650 enquiry Last post on 9/22/14 at 10:44pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Open letter to John Grado Last post on 9/21/14 at 10:46pm in Headphones (full-size)
Background and listening experience: I bought these as a complementary headphone for my ZMF Vibros. I wanted something open and I've been curious about Audio Technica for a while. In the past, I've...
I don’t get asked very often about the Private 333 amongst the Fitear customs I own. Nor do you hear people raving about it as you might in respect of the C435, the MH 334 and the MH335DW....
Before I begin with my review of the Beyerdynamic XP1, all of the below are solely what I’ve managed to get out of the IEM, I suggest to try it out or read some other people’s review to get a...
See The Whole Review With Pictures Here: http://db-headphones.blogspot.com ... Oh and ignore the sliders for the audio quality, value etc. I can't edit the slider scoring on mobile. Disclaimer: I...
Disclaimer First of all, huge thanks to Audrey and the Brainwavz team for giving me the opportunity to write this review. Please note that I was not paid to write this review, nor am I...
Sennheiser HD650 Impressions Thread - Page 978
Gear mentioned in this thread:
I get the feeling that this happens often. believe what you believe, dont project your beliefs on others. Sound quality is subjective. Give your opinion then drop it.
If I am misinterpreting what is going on, forgive me, I am a few drinks in.
I actually haven't heard anything the Modi doesn't pair well with. It's really that good and I do believe it's very neutral with no emphasis anywhere.
I compared it for hours with the ODAC and found them so close in sound that I ended up selling my ODAC. Both are good.
Neither are super revealing detail monsters and almost a little forgiving. I actually did not hear this until I tried the T90 and got a new (slightly more expensive) DAC.
I think the Modi is one of Schiit's best products and i'm kind of a fanboy of it. I probably sound like I hate Schiit products but I've been through so many of their amps and disliked most of them. Magni was pretty OK. I should probably stop buying their stuff already. The Vali just left me frustrated and annoyed.
BTW IMO the Modi is easily one of the best budget DACs (under $200) there is for the HD-650. Can't go wrong with the ODAC as well. Some say the ODAC is better but I couldn't hear it. I actually had the HRT MSII before buying the ODAC.
tdockweiler: Try posting without always saying "You [whatever]". That's why people are getting pissed off. Discuss the gear, not the person.
Thinking about your question another way the Cracks ability in transparency is beyond that which my HD650 in standard form can resolve if that's any help. Plugging the T1's into the Crack and it will resolve details that my own HD 650 clearly misses and the Crack 650 combo is well know for its superb synergy they really are a killer combo..
Thanks for the reply!
O2 is quite quite popular solid state amp (not tube). Its synergy with HD650 is also quite popular. So, wanted to check if anyone who has used both (O2 and Crack) can provide some input. My current rig is DX100 > O2 > HD650.
If you already have one it will work as entry level and you will upgrade when you have more money but if you want to buy it now instead of DAC and Amp to save money then it step in wrong direction
Essentially, after three years of going through various IEMs and cans and amps and DACs, I found I'd inadvertently begun to ruin the experience of listening to music on headphones. I fell into the classic (but initially almost unavoidable) audiophile trap of listening to the gear, not the music. I developed a kind of ADD whereby I would skip to the next song seconds after the 'best bit' of the previous song, I'd listen to the intro of Prefar Sprout's When Love Breaks Down again and again, instead of listening to my favourite tunes. I was just listening for dynamics and decay and soundstage and so on and I felt quite disconnected from music, except when I was listening in the car. I'd got the 650s and was hoping this would somehow solve my problem but alas, they were probably the worst culprits because listening to them without proper amplification (E9) was such a 'nearly' experience. They sounded good but it wasn't all I'd hoped for, to be honest.
Enter the Bottlehead Crack. Now I almost never skip anything. I can listen to pretty much any song I have and I'm almost compelled to listen right through - or rather, more accurately, I don't want to turn it off. I've no desire to skip because it all sounds great. There's detail, there's decay and dynamics and and so on but I take it in as part of the whole. I'm not sure whether this is the much-fabled 'tube sound', whether it's the synergy of Crack and 650 or whether something else has clicked into place but they have me excited about listening to music again. I want to listen to them now and I know that when I get in from work, I'll head up to my listening den and slip them on and have a dance round before my missus gets home. I look forward to listening to pretty much any song I can think of because I know it will just sound great, not too much of anything, nothing to take me out of the experience, just the feeling of listening to music as it was before I knew about audiophile gear. I've been down the rabbit hole but I think I'm cured...
...just as soon as I've got that Speedball upgrade.
Nice! I have a few vintage receivers myself and I find that Modi pairs great with all. I now use the Bifrost Uber to pair with my two favorite amps which are the Marantz 2230 and Sansui 6060. Been listening to these vintage amps lately and haven't touched other headphone amps for quite some time now…
- Sennheiser HD650 Impressions Thread
- › Help needed choosing headphones 15 seconds ago
- › AKG K601 & K612 Pro Owners... UNITE!! 22 seconds ago
- › Help with improving gaming headset quality 56 seconds ago
- › = HiFiMAN HE-560 Impressions & Discussion Thread = 1 minute ago
- › The Stax Thread III 1 minute ago
- › DIY Cable Questions and Comments Thread 2 minutes ago
- › The DX90 by iBasso . . . Sound impressions . . . . . . . New... 2 minutes ago
- › Android phones and USB DACs 2 minutes ago
- › Audeze LCD-2 Impressions Thread 4 minutes ago
- › Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up 5 minutes ago
- › Audio-technica AIR Dynamic Headphones Ath-ad900x by manbear
- › FitEar Private 333 by Kiats
- › Beyerdynamic XP1 by SawItComing
- › Audio-Technica ATH-WS77 SOLID BASS Portable Headphones (Japan Import) by DisCHORDDubstep
- › Brainwavz R3 Revised Edition by thatBeatsguy
- › Fostex TH 900 by smitty1110
- › FiiO X1 Ultraportable Hi-Res DAP by aquamacs
- › Audio Technica ATH-IM02 balanced amature inner earphone by thatonenoob
- › DUNU DN-2000 Hybrid 3 way earphone by thatonenoob
- › Fidue A83 Reference Class Triple Hybrid IEM by H20Fidelity
- › The Great FiiO DAP FAQ Wiki
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Gaming Headphones)