- 243 Posts. Joined 2/2012
- Location: East Finchley, London, UK
- Select All Posts By This User
Recent Images In This Thread
- productSennheiser HD 650 Headphonestagged by System, 5/6/10
Related Forum Threads
- Are the Sennheiser HD650's worth another $100? Last post on Yesterday at 4:35 pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Senn HD650 as complimantry for Hifiman HE-500? Last post on 9/15/14 at 8:16pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Replacing HD-650's with IEM's for travelling Last post on 9/10/14 at 3:55pm in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- On-ear, open headphones? Last post on 9/5/14 at 3:43pm in Headphones (full-size)
- HD650s and Fast Music. Last post on 9/2/14 at 4:39pm in Headphones (full-size)
REVIEW: Brainwavz S5 Specifications: (from Brainwavz site) Driver: 10mm Dynamic Rated Impedance: 16 Ω Frequency Range: 18Hz - 24kHz Sensitivity: 110 dB @ 1 mW Cable: 1.3m,...
Thanks to Greed for a 10-day loan of his Ref 1 set, which I fully burnt-in and auditioned. This set had the uber cable. Super Brief Review (it's all just what my ears heard, if you love your Ref 1...
This review is going to be updated once I receive a balanced cable and use this amp in balanced operation. I figured this amp needed a proper review on here, and there is a lot of good stuff to say...
Read a ton of reviews before purchasing. However, I will be honest and say that I was a bit let down by the bass. Don't get me wrong, its very detailed and balanced and perhaps there lies my issue,...
Schiit Ragnarok: Is It Love, or Is It Just Schiit? Introduction: This part is just to give you some background on my experience and how I’ve arrived at the Schiit Ragnarok...
Sennheiser HD650 Impressions Thread - Page 952
Gear mentioned in this thread:
Dang. Now I'm feeling lonely.
Have just ordered the HD650 and a Russ Andrews HC-2 cable. My current Q701s are musical and clear, but all the burn-in that I throw at them can't get rid of uncontrolled digital glare on upper orchestral strings in some recordings. Also, the head-band is uncomfortable on my bald head. Audiolab M-DAC + Lovely Cube btw.
I find my HD650s direct from the M-DAC headphone out (source: Mac Mini/Audirvana) deliver excellent detail and positioning. Timbral accuracy?... the jury is still out on that one.
Look forward to reading your impressions.
The HD 650s arrived today. I'm still waiting for the Russ Andrews cable.
First impressions out of the box with Audiolab M-DAC and Lovely Cube from source Samsung Series 7 laptop and MediaMonkey. Warm and fuzzy with a bass bulge. Already though, there is a welcome relief from the tizz that the Q701s have. Also, there is an uncanny focus on the musical line - the sound has many faults at the moment, but it makes me want to listen to it.
After three to four hours burn-in with music and pink noise:
Wagner Götterdämmerung 1951 Knappertsbusch CD Testament SBT 4175. Poor recording. The HD 650 find the music. The Q701s are more revealing of detail in a sense, but the sound is bright, but a little starved in depth. The Sennheisers find bass frequencies which completely elude the Q701s. Both cans have merits.
And now for something completely different.
Tom Waits - 'Hold on' from '"Mule Variations" streamed from a FLAC file on NAS storage. I always loved the sound of it through the AKGs. Starting again with the HD 650s. I think that I'm getting an impoverishment of detail and a slightly imprecision in stereo detail. Warm, fuzzy and musical again. Q701s - lots, lots more instrumental detail, great clarity, more soundstage side-to-side but rather two-dimensional. The HD 650s have more warmth, passion and depth. I think that I can hear the sound improving as I listen (or is it me getting used to it?). This is on 3-4 hours burn-in.
I'll leave it at that for now. I don't want to outstay my welcome! Thanks to all of you for sharing your love of music, sound and beauty.
The 650 continues to improve with time and age IMO. I would continue to listen. Your description sounds accurate. Warm with passion. They are very different from your 701's. Maybe they'll make a nice complementary set.
Thank you so much for your advice. I'll report more in due course - soon, actually. One thing though - these cans fit my head perfectly. They are so comfortable. It's now official. I don't have a big head.
Personally for me more importantly than any kind of burn in is giving the headphone enough time exclusively to get used to its sound signature and become accustomed. It is rare to be able to fully understand a headphones full capability from the first number of hours personally.
When I switch from the TH900 to say the T1 after exclusively listening to the Fostex for 20-30 hours then the T1 to my ears sounds "wrong" or at least odd to compared to what I was used to in sound signature. Likewise if I were to do the same for the T1 and switch back I may find that I'd be very attentive/conscious at first with the changes in some of the frequency range. Pretty simple of course.
YMMV as we all have our different processes.
5.00 a.m. After five hours of pink noise - so we must be approaching the ten hours mark on burn-in - there are definite changes. The bass 'bulge' has gone and the bass has tightened. So has the imaging, which is now much more precise. Some hints of the famous 'veil' on mids and treble on some recordings. The soundstage is suddenly wider - it felt very restricted laterally just out of the box. Looking forward to the cable upgrade...
Pink noise is random noise having equal energy per octave, and so having more low-frequency components than white noise. Some people use them to "break-in" their new cans. I am sure other have more/better info on Pink Noise.
As far as the HD650's feel and quality, I think they feel very comfortable. When brand-new out of the box they may clamp a bit, but it soon goes away after some use. The build quality is pretty good too, although I have heard of minor paint chipping on the headband, but I haven't had that issue.
- Sennheiser HD650 Impressions Thread
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- › Stax SR-009 Channel Imbalance Trouble / Driver Problem? 20 seconds ago
- › Pictures of Your Portable Rig (part XVI) 27 seconds ago
- › iBasso DX90 Bug Thread - Post Any Firmware Bugs/Issues Here 1 minute ago
- › Hifiman he-400i Impressions and Discussion 1 minute ago
- › = HiFiMAN HE-560 Impressions & Discussion Thread = 1 minute ago
- › Havi B3 Pro-1 Impressions Thread 1 minute ago
- › The (new) HD800 Impressions Thread 1 minute ago
- › Great headsets for around $100? 2 minutes ago
- › V-MODA M-100: Discussion/Feedback, Reviews, Pics, etc. 3 minutes ago
- › Help with MP3 vs. WAV for best quality audio 3 minutes ago
- › Brainwavz S5 In Ear Headphones by Zelda
- › Tralucent Audio Ref 1 by Kunlun
- › Violectric HPA V281 by saxelrod92
- › Yamaha EPH-100SL Inner-Ear Headphone by lumberjake
- › Schiit Audio Ragnarok by goldendarko
- › Ultimate Ears UE9000 Noise-Cancelling Wireless Headphones by SennsAsian
- › Crystal by MEElectronics In-Ear Headphones with Microphone Made... by indieman
- › Fidue A31s by djvkool
- › Blox BE3 by subwoof3r
- › Apple EarPods with Remote and Mic by donniefalcone
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Gaming Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Exercise Headphones)