or Connect
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Sennheiser HD650 Impressions Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Sennheiser HD650 Impressions Thread - Page 925

post #13861 of 28466

Finally bought some HD650's as I am moving to a new place and have to sell my studio monitors. Event ASP8's, PMC TB1's, Dynaudio BM6's, and even my old B&W ASW1000. 



 



The 650's sound like the TB1's with the ASW1000 with a cut off at 30hz in an acoustically treated room --amazing for a headphone. I have the silver driver version, so I really don't know what most people talk about when saying that the sennheiser sound is "veiled"... if anything it makes me question the sound signature most people aim for, being that my TB1's sound as neutral as ever.



 



Don't feel so bad now as I sell my monitors. I am using an RME ADI-2 w/ the Sennies though.


Edited by kesslerjesus - 10/2/13 at 6:23pm
post #13862 of 28466

A few nitpicks I have with the HD650:

 

1. The soundstage, the small soundstage makes it less relaxing, less soothing to the ear. Some sounds will sound attacking, due to the small soundstage.

 

2. The lack of detail in all ranges. These headphones lack detail, I think they could've accomplished a headphone with detail, but one that didn't shout at you,"listen to this, listen to that!" A common phrase I hear some peope describe detail-oriented headphones.

 

Other than that, they're great headphones. 

post #13863 of 28466

I wouldn't call the sound stage small. It's more like average IMO. But there is nothing about the 650 that isn't smooth and relaxing to my ears. 

 

Did you buy them new?

post #13864 of 28466
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattTCG View Post
 

I wouldn't call the sound stage small. It's more like average IMO. But there is nothing about the 650 that isn't smooth and relaxing to my ears. 

 

Did you buy them new?

 

is there a big difference in buying hd650 new vs used?

post #13865 of 28466

I can be. The older drivers (black screen) are said to have the distinctive Senn "veil." I don't hear a lot or any veil with my newer silver screened. 

post #13866 of 28466
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattTCG View Post

I can be. The older drivers (black screen) are said to have the distinctive Senn "veil." I don't hear a lot or any veil with my newer silver screened. 


 



When did the new ones start to appear?
post #13867 of 28466

I agree that the 650's lack a bit of detail, but that's the tradeoff for how smooth and non-fatiguing they sound. I think the soundstage, however, is quite good. As good at the 800? No. Better than the LCD2, though, IMO. 

post #13868 of 28466
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattTCG View Post
 

I wouldn't call the sound stage small. It's more like average IMO. But there is nothing about the 650 that isn't smooth and relaxing to my ears. 

 

Did you buy them new?

 

Yes, bought new in May 2013. I dare say, the A&K AKR01's soundstage is bigger..

post #13869 of 28466
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfetan44 View Post
 

A few nitpicks I have with the HD650:

 

1. The soundstage, the small soundstage makes it less relaxing, less soothing to the ear. Some sounds will sound attacking, due to the small soundstage.

 

2. The lack of detail in all ranges. These headphones lack detail, I think they could've accomplished a headphone with detail, but one that didn't shout at you,"listen to this, listen to that!" A common phrase I hear some peope describe detail-oriented headphones.

 

Other than that, they're great headphones. 

 

Lacking in detail, compared to what? I find them very detailed in a more subtle way... like a good mellow coffee that has layers of subtle flavours that require you to taste carefully to notice. Nothing big that screams at you like the flavoured coffee (ie. vanilla, irish cream, etc.)

 

As well you'd be surprised how much more detail these cans will fetch if you improve the source. Going from E17/E09K... to the Gungnir/Mjolnir... the biggest change in sound signature was due to Gungnir... Mjolnir only really changed the soundstage (once fully balanced). Seeing as you have a Mjolnir indicated in your setup... if you feed it with a fully balanced DAC, I would find it hard to believe you'd still say the soundstage is small.

post #13870 of 28466
Quote:
Originally Posted by joebobbilly View Post
 

 

Lacking in detail, compared to what? I find them very detailed in a more subtle way... like a good mellow coffee that has layers of subtle flavours that require you to taste carefully to notice. Nothing big that screams at you like the flavoured coffee (ie. vanilla, irish cream, etc.)

+1

post #13871 of 28466

An IEM has a bigger soundstage than a 600-ohm open headphone? :blink: Can I ask what source/amp combo you used to come to that conclusion?

 

...and does anyone who owns these IEMs live in the LA area? :D

 

Quote:

Originally Posted by wolfetan44 View Post
 

 

Yes, bought new in May 2013. I dare say, the A&K AKR01's soundstage is bigger..

post #13872 of 28466

On an unrelated note, Pink Floyd with the HD650s is pretty breathtaking at times. Listening to Dogs of War atm...best I've ever heard it, without a doubt.

post #13873 of 28466

That makes me want to have a Pink Floyd session tonight.  :atsmile:

post #13874 of 28466

ldaj;fdlsfsjdl

 

Listening to The Wall with the HD650 is better than watching a movie any day...

post #13875 of 28466
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilly87 View Post
 

ldaj;fdlsfsjdl

 

Listening to The Wall with the HD650 is better than watching a movie any day...

 

 

Ever listen to Pink Floyd in a planetarium?

 

I suggest...

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Sennheiser HD650 Impressions Thread