Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Sennheiser HD650 Impressions Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Sennheiser HD650 Impressions Thread - Page 911

post #13651 of 21157
Quote:
Originally Posted by super39 View Post
 

 

congratulations! I am still dreaming of mine.

:)

Thanks! Hopefully you can pick up a pair of these cans. Only a few days with them and they get better each time it seems.

post #13652 of 21157
Quote:
Originally Posted by vegasf1 View Post
 

I paired mine with the schiit bifrost uber and valhalla and now I know what people mean by tube sound and everything hasn't been broken in yet.  

Nice! I am hoping to get a tube amp soon to go with mine.

post #13653 of 21157
Quote:
Originally Posted by vegasf1 View Post
 

I paired mine with the schiit bifrost uber and valhalla and now I know what people mean by tube sound and everything hasn't been broken in yet.  

 

That is quite the awesome setup. For some there is no need to go any further!

post #13654 of 21157

My first post...

 

I use an original V-DAC and a Project Horizon amp built from a kit using a 6DJ8 Amperex Holland Orange Globe with both the HD650 and MadDog Alpha (not at the same time). It is interesting how similar both head phones sound (to me).

 

Tastes great... less filling...

post #13655 of 21157

If someone in Europe is looking to buy a pair of HD-650, mine are up for sale. http://www.head-fi.org/t/681339/sennheiser-hd-650-like-new

post #13656 of 21157

After getting the HD-650's a couple month's ago and slowly burning them in I must say that I'm quite impressed with my purchase.  My previous setup was an AKG Q701 with a Matrix M-stage, and although I was fairly content with this pairing, switching to the 650's and a Burson HA-160 brought my listening experience to another level.  Better timber, more bass, and overall a lot more fun and engaging.  I'm definitely glad I decided to pick them up!

post #13657 of 21157
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maven86 View Post

After getting the HD-650's a couple month's ago and slowly burning them in I must say that I'm quite impressed with my purchase.  My previous setup was an AKG Q701 with a Matrix M-stage, and although I was fairly content with this pairing, switching to the 650's and a Burson HA-160 brought my listening experience to another level.  Better timber, more bass, and overall a lot more fun and engaging.  I'm definitely glad I decided to pick them up!
So you like the Burson? Have been thinking about buying one, I just don't have a chance to audition one very easily. With the hd650's I've got a little dot mk3 tube amp and dac that I'm wanting to upgrade. The sound is amazing its just I was limited for space so i purchased a smaller dac and amp. but building a house with a dedicated pc/music room so skies the limit. Don't want to go crazy with the $ but possibly benchmark dac1 and burson amp. Or a higher end tube amp I'm trying to get to audition a few more amps somehow and then making a decision.
Edited by foreign - 9/14/13 at 9:32pm
post #13658 of 21157
Quote:
Originally Posted by Byronb View Post
 

 

That is quite the awesome setup. For some there is no need to go any further!

 

I hope so.  I don't plan on getting anything else for awhile.  I have too many other hobbies that burn money and I think this should be enough for me. At first, I thought buying the headphones was enough so adding a dac and amp already exceeded what I thought I would be spending.

post #13659 of 21157

Yea, the Burson is definitely a step up from the M-stage when paired with the HD650s, at least to my ears.  Although I'm curious to try them out with the Bottlehead Crack after hearing a lot of hype surrounding the pairing.  I'm sure $1,400 is more than enough to get a decent rig for the 650s, at that price you can find something like a Woo Audio 6SE paired with a solid $300-$400 DAC.

post #13660 of 21157

Hello fellow HD-650 owners / fans,

 

Curious as to whether anyone has tried any digital EQ on their 650s.  I was playing around with the plug-in 31 band Apple EQ within the newest Audirvana+.  Based on the freq response graph for the 650s (from Headroom.com) I made the attached configuration - a small curve peaking at +4db at 5K and then a little bump at 15-20K to match the corresponding dips there.  All else is flat from 1.6K down.

 

My first impression is really positive - maybe it's just something different.  Any one else try anything like this?

 

post #13661 of 21157
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maven86 View Post
 

Yea, the Burson is definitely a step up from the M-stage when paired with the HD650s, at least to my ears.  Although I'm curious to try them out with the Bottlehead Crack after hearing a lot of hype surrounding the pairing.  I'm sure $1,400 is more than enough to get a decent rig for the 650s, at that price you can find something like a Woo Audio 6SE paired with a solid $300-$400 DAC.

 

that was my first serious rig and my favorite when i had the HD 650s!!!

 

WA6-SE and i had a ps audio digital link 3.

 

i really liked it. the WA6-SE paired extremely well with the HD 650 (as it does with LCD-2)

post #13662 of 21157
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dubstep Girl View Post

that was my first serious rig and my favorite when i had the HD 650s!!!

WA6-SE and i had a ps audio digital link 3.

i really liked it. the WA6-SE paired extremely well with the HD 650 (as it does with LCD-2)
Nice thankyou have been thinking about the wa6-se it looks great I'm sure it will be a step above the little dot mk3. I still enjoy the little dot after tube rolling with hytron tubes and different power tubes aswell. Just always been curious if I enjoy my setup this much I'm wondering what better equipment will bring :-).
post #13663 of 21157
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dubstep Girl View Post
 

 

that was my first serious rig and my favorite when i had the HD 650s!!!

 

WA6-SE and i had a ps audio digital link 3.

 

i really liked it. the WA6-SE paired extremely well with the HD 650 (as it does with LCD-2)

Yea, not to mention it looks amazing too :-).  If I had that kind of money, it's the first amp I'd probably pick up.

post #13664 of 21157

I've tried digital EQ with Pure Audio and the HD650.  First, I used the frequency response curve from Tyll, and try to moderate the dips and peaks.  That actually sounded good!  But over time, I found that flat was best.  In part, I had update the cable, so extention was better.  But more importantly, the peaks and bumps were best left as-is.  Part of that is the headphone isn't performing as well in those areas due to destructive interference or resonances... so "correcting" them ends up emphasizing their least-capable frequency bands.  Second, flattening those regions cannot fix phase shift associated with the artifacts that gave rise.  I remember when I worked with Dick Heyser (look him up!), he said that attemps to flatten speakers with EQ had sounded worse than before hand.  (These days, we can correct rooms, a more doable and important fix.)

post #13665 of 21157

Hello, i'm looking for a new amp for the HD650. I've been a long time owner of HD650, i used to drive this can with cavalli's bijou OTL tube amp and it is fantastic until i got my LCD2/mini torii but i still miss the HD650's intimacy.

 

I've shortlisted some of the potential amp that i'm interested in. Burson Soloist, WA3 and crack but i really do not have time to put together the crack. The most important aspect that i'm looking for in this pairing is musicality and intimacy. So what do you guys think of the soloist or the WA3? will it be a stepdown from my bijou OTL amp? 


Edited by SBoy - 9/17/13 at 11:20pm
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Sennheiser HD650 Impressions Thread