Yeah, I'll remain to say I'm not going to overpay for a cable when I could potentially pay for a matching DAC for my setup that will most definitely make a difference (whether it's a negative or positive one).
Recent Images In This Thread
- productSennheiser HD 650 Headphonestagged by System, 5/6/10
Related Forum Threads
- Headphone Results With The Pono (or other DAPs) Last post on 2/25/15 at 4:23am in Headphones (full-size)
- Flattest, Most Neutral IEMs For Recording, Mixing, and Mastering Last post on 2/19/15 at 11:24am in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- Sennheiser HD650 vs AKG K7XX Last post on 3/16/15 at 8:11pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Sennheiser HD650 Sub Bass Last post on 3/2/15 at 4:19am in Headphones (full-size)
- Something as comfy as Sennheiser's but with more bass? Last post on 3/4/15 at 8:38am in Headphones (full-size)
Build I've had a lot of headphones in the past and prior to this I thought in the sub 300 price category the Beyer DT990/880 were the best, they certainly still are at the top of the chart but this...
A Brief Review of the FiiO X3 2nd Generation DAP with Comparisons to the Xuelin iHiFi 800. Firstly, I would like to thank Mr. James Chung for allowing this preview of FiiO’s new X3...
Hello all in Head Fi community. This is my first ever review in this forum.I am not an expert in reviewing so I will only use very simple term or definition to convey my message. I just received...
My colleague owns a pair of HD 580. Their sound is very versatile, bass and highs are extended perfectly. Despite that, extreme ends never flood the mids. Whatever you listen to, they will not let...
This review is for Aurisonics Rockets in ears, a little about me I am 38 years old and have been into hi-res audio since I was in middle school. I don't consider myself an audiophile like many on...
Sennheiser HD650 Impressions Thread - Page 860
Gear mentioned in this thread:
Not always. A perfect example, I have Woo Audio WA7 DAC/Amp combo. I decided to try Micromega MyDAC, which uses transformer based power supply,if it will make any difference but it didn't except that, unlike WA7, it works with WASAPI's event mode.
I think noticeable is more accurate word
It seems there is much variation in how much variation people find.
What I'd learned long ago in terms of testing (in professional audio contexts as well) is that doing an experiment that can validly isolate differences is very hard, very detailed.
So we are all doing different experiments. No wonder the results differ.
In other words, there is NOTHING WRONG GOING ON HERE.
Edited by Stoney - 7/7/13 at 10:23pm
I just find it difficult to believe that a company like sennheiser with what was once its flagship headphone would build an amazing headphone and then compromise it with a bad cable, I may be wrong, but I think not.
Buying an aftermarket cable for your HD650 is IMO like throwing your money down the toilet. You can surely invest your money in something else. I once bought a Cardas Cable ($200) for my HD650. Not only that it didn't bring any noticable change to the sound, the cable was also a real pain in the ass to use. While it looks ok and hi-tech it is incredibly stiff which makes it very uncomfortable. One of the channels frequently went out and only came back after I plugged it out of my headphone amp and then plugged it back again. That was very annoying. The stock cable works like a charm, it is very flexible, well built and is cheap if you ever need to replace it.
Edited by muxamed - 7/8/13 at 1:19am
Another way to look at it is that Sennheiser makes cables detachable in order to upgrade them easily.
I once felt the same way you did until doing blind tests with a friend and can vouch for a significant improvement with a cable upgrade. Even the Cardas was an improvement and I used it for quite some time until balancing the 650s. Once balanced I started using a Silver Poison by Toxic cables. This produced even better SQ to my ears but to be fair, I didn't balance the Cardas. I think the silver/gold of the Poison brightens things up without detracting from the bass response like some pure silver cables can.
I believe it's important to have an excellent source/amp to benefit from a cable upgrade. Also, I buy aftermarket cables used, usually for less than half the original cost.
Edited by Hellenback - 7/8/13 at 2:17am
And what in your opinion is an excellent source/Amp? At the time I had a Cardas cable I used Rega Apollo CD-player as a source and Musical Fidelity X-Can V3 headphone amplifier. I see those as excellent source/amp combilation, equal or better than those you have on your equipment list. Unfortunately it didn't bring any difference to my ear or to the ears of the people who listened to the same equipment with me.
Well no, they make detachable cables so that you can replace them if they break, Sennheiser obviously want you to buy their cable from their spares website.
I sold it becos of the small adaptor tat stopped me from my cablelust...wanted to plug a big cable behind it...blush.
Maybe ther cadas has a faulty connect....limited its potential..jus saying.
Anyway...buy dunbuy...everyone wins..in his own mind..
- Sennheiser HD650 Impressions Thread
- › New Cavalli Audio Portable Amp officially in the works 14 seconds ago
- › "The Lab" 55 seconds ago
- › Schiit Fulla vs Fiio E10K 56 seconds ago
- › Noble Audio - the Wizard returns! 1 minute ago
- › CUSTOMART US CIEM Demo Lineup Tour - Including Harmony 8 Pro 1 minute ago
- › Superlux Express Train 2 minutes ago
- › DT770 pro 80's broke, confidence lost in Beyer...advice please 2 minutes ago
- › Roll call: Indians staying in India, interested in high end... 4 minutes ago
- › Best DAC/AMP for PS1000e 6 minutes ago
- › Audioengine D1 vs. Schiit Modi for A5+ 6 minutes ago
- › Philips Fidelio X2 by Zulkr9
- › FiiO X3 2nd gen Ultraportable Hi-Res DAP by jdog
- › ZERO AUDIO-ear stereo headphone carbo Basso ZH-DX210-CB by AzimAkbar
- › Sennheiser HD540 Reference Headphones by homesicalien
- › Aurisonics Rockets Solo Precision Micro-Dynamic Noise Isolating... by acain
- › Incipio f38 Headphones by ahnvx
- › Bose® IE2 audio headphones by Sarurururu
- › Baldoor EarBell E100 by Ruwetuin
- › Sennheiser MOMENTUM On-Ear Headphone by mark2410
- › Sony Inner Ear Hi-res Stereo Headphone Xba-a2 Black (Japan Import) by Hawaiibadboy
- › Can I change my user name? Can I delete my...
- › Table of Earphocalypse
- › The Great FiiO DAP FAQ Wiki
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 2