Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Sennheiser HD650 Impressions Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Sennheiser HD650 Impressions Thread - Page 842

post #12616 of 20131

Crying while listening to (pleasant) headphones is for us, head-fiers, like a first flight.

 

Now you're definitely one of us ;-)

post #12617 of 20131

Erm, talking about first flights, my girlfriend jumped out of the plane in midair while flying for the first time in her life. :D


Edited by eimis - 6/21/13 at 9:21am
post #12618 of 20131

My first 'shed a tear' moment was listening to the all time great "Barbie Girl" by Aqua on my original ibuds when they shorted out on one side and I could only hear the awesomeness mono style. My tears were not manly though

post #12619 of 20131

Its just allergies guy....... the story is always just allergies......

post #12620 of 20131

For me, my very first listen with the hd650 on the lyr. Cued up one of my favorite Casandra Wilson tracks and eased the volume up to about 10:30. Wow...I'm pretty sure that I got something in my eye. redface.gif

post #12621 of 20131
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattTCG View Post

For me, my very first listen with the hd650 on the lyr. Cued up one of my favorite Casandra Wilson tracks and eased the volume up to about 10:30. Wow...I'm pretty sure that I got something in my eye. redface.gif

Yup, totally agree with you man. The Lyr with the HD650 is absolutely beautiful pairing.

post #12622 of 20131
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattTCG View Post

For me, my very first listen with the hd650 on the lyr. Cued up one of my favorite Casandra Wilson tracks and eased the volume up to about 10:30. Wow...I'm pretty sure that I got something in my eye. redface.gif


Dam you Matt, why are you telling me about another artist? Just finished spending more cash on music. I blame you for getting me hooked on Melody Gardot. blink.gif

 

So.... what track? biggrin.gif always on the hunt for more good music for the HD 650s. What's your favourite album from Casandra Wilson?

post #12623 of 20131
Quote:
Originally Posted by alv4426 View Post

My first 'shed a tear' moment was listening to the all time great "Barbie Girl" by Aqua on my original ibuds when they shorted out on one side and I could only hear the awesomeness mono style. My tears were not manly though


LOL. I pretty much just shed a tear laughing so hard whilst reading this. 

post #12624 of 20131

Mods: 

 

I saw some messages back on pages 819+ and have my own comments: 

 

The least intrusive and most effective mods I have found turn out to be plenty good

yet not overdoing it or losing the virtues of the HD650: 

1. Stock cable is a source of "veil" and must go! I am using the Cardas Clear Light (Clear split in two at the Y). 

    This brought so much focus to the treble that I thought it was not possible for the HD650s. Top mod!

2. Remove the foam inside the pads. I replaced mine with sparse plastic window screen for protection. 

3. Make sure you are using new-ish pads, or washed pads that have been fluffed back to full thickness. 

    If my pads get too squished, I may plump it with a loop of PVC tube in the ear opening (there is a gap for it).

 

It turns out that the pads compress, particularly when pressure over time is combined with sweat, oil, and salt. 

Once compressed, the transducer sits too close to your ear.  It was already close, so each millimetre matters.

The bass becomes muddy, midrange too warm, and imaging goes south.  To prevent this: 

I bent my frames a bit to reduce the force to comfortable and a bit on the loose side.  The foams last longer. 

Also, never store the headphone on a dummy head or such.  You want the foam pads to relax. 

Otherwise you are reducing the life of the pads, like leaving vacuum tubes on all the time. 

I keep two pair, one to use, one to wash then let relax.  Buy direct from Sennheiser, and

add a $5 adapter to your cart to save the $14 shipping -- it becomes free, $55 total order. 

I compared my mildly used pads (compressed slightly on one side, not sure if front or back) 

with new pads in the last 2 days. It was enough to flatten the bass and midrange and make 

the response close to flat, if you factor in the cable and foam mods too.  

 

After comparing these to the HD800, HD700, LDC2.2, and LCD3 in a store (with Senn amp), I found 

that the virtues of the HD650 hold their own.  The LCD2 is a bit too dark and has less low-level info

such as room reflections (try a Chesky live-in-studio recording). The LCD3 was darker still in the 

midrange, making voices truly too dark, but the treble was less rough and more extended. 

The HD800 is a stunner, but too v-shaped in the frequency response, breaking voices in half 

slightly which spoils the illusion that the HD650s do so well. It is also intolerant of any vocal glare

or sibililance, as well as poorly mastered or transferred recordings such as early CDs.

And the HD700 is not worth considering: a cupped-hands muffled midrange plus a

single sharp peak in the treble, which is harsh too. I might purchase the HD800 in the future, 

but I will need a slight EQ using my Pure Audio plug in to tame the lower peak in the treble. 

 

Lastly, I am avoiding any new amp purchases without balanced output, because the Senns 

scale so well with balanced input.  I'm not that experienced with balanced, but the few I've heard

and the reputation makes me sold on balanced.  I might go for the RSA SR-71B balanced 

portable amp, to use at home as well. I hope the RSA is not too dark for my 650s, though. 

 

FWIW


Edited by Stoney - 6/21/13 at 11:32pm
post #12625 of 20131
Quote:

Originally Posted by Stoney View Post

 

... the Senns scale so well with balanced input.  I'm not that experienced with balanced, but the few I've heard

and the reputation makes me sold on balanced...

+1

post #12626 of 20131
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoney View Post

 

1. Stock cable is a source of "veil" and must go! I am using the Cardas Clear Light (Clear split in two at the Y). 

    This brought so much focus to the treble that I thought it was not possible for the HD650s. Top mod!

 

 

Cardas Cable was, in my case the worst buy ever. How can you, NASA physicist/Acoustic, explain the difference between the stock cable and Cardas?

post #12627 of 20131
Quote:
Originally Posted by HamilcarBarca View Post

If the cable delivers the signal to the headphones properly, how can it be the worst buy ever? After all, even if it's serious overkill for no benefit whatsoever, it still works as designed.


"Worst" might be a hyperbole, but if you have to pay a lot more for as you say "no benefit whatsoever" it's a pretty crap buy. 

post #12628 of 20131
Quote:
Originally Posted by HamilcarBarca View Post

 

If the cable delivers the signal to the headphones properly, how can it be the worst buy ever? After all, even if it's serious overkill for no benefit whatsoever, it still works as designed.

Because it cost me over 100 dollars. Simple as that.

post #12629 of 20131
Quote:
Originally Posted by joebobbilly View Post


Dam you Matt, why are you telling me about another artist? Just finished spending more cash on music. I blame you for getting me hooked on Melody Gardot. blink.gif

 

So.... what track? biggrin.gif always on the hunt for more good music for the HD 650s. What's your favourite album from Casandra Wilson?

 

Dang, that's a tough one. All of her albums are enjoyable. I'd say my favorite track is Love is Blindness off the Blue Light till Dawn record. Also her latest Another Country is good start to finish and expertly recorded...part jazz, part blues. On this album there is a track called Almost Twelve. The first 30 seconds is a bass drum solo that hit's hard and is wonderfully textured. The tracks continues with some great sub bass. 

 

It's tough to go wrong with any of her stuff. Most of her albums on can picked up for a mere .75c over at half.com plus shipping. 


Edited by MattTCG - 6/22/13 at 4:55am
post #12630 of 20131
Quote:
Originally Posted by scolaiw View Post


"Worst" might be a hyperbole, but if you have to pay a lot more for as you say "no benefit whatsoever" it's a pretty crap buy. 

My point exactly. The stock cable is a perfectly good electric conductor and I would really like to know which electrical property of the cardas cable takes away that supposed "veil". The op first creates a problem in form of some kind of veil in the sound and then recommends an other cable to cure that problem.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Sennheiser HD650 Impressions Thread