Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Sennheiser HD650 Impressions Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Sennheiser HD650 Impressions Thread - Page 805

post #12061 of 18423
Quote:
Originally Posted by beyondthepale35 View Post

Im looking for a tube amp to try out with my HD650s, I dont want to spend too much since Im broke and already own a CKKIII, would something like the Little Dot MKII be worth it?

 

Edit: Budget would be below 200, just heard such great things about HD650s and OTL amps so wanted to give it a go.

 

For under $200, I would check out the Maverick Audio TubeMagic A1, it is a bargain. Use the same tubes that the LDIII uses, and  (to my ears) as least as good sound. I have owned both (still own A1), also had CKKIII (loved it). If you want more, I just got ALO Pan Am which the HD650's to another level.


Edited by Solitary1 - 5/3/13 at 12:03pm
post #12062 of 18423

Thank you for the suggestions, Ive heard mixed things about some of the Maverick products but I know a couple are up in the For Sale forum right now if I want to go that route. This is more of just an introduction to the tube sound so Id rather not spend too much, when I graduate in August Im sure Ill be upgrading once I start working in engineering.

post #12063 of 18423
Quote:
Originally Posted by Solitary1 View Post

 

For under $200, I would check out the Maverick Audio TubeMagic A1, it is a bargain. Use the same tubes that the LDIII uses, and  (to my ears) as least as good sound. I have owned both (still own A1), also had CKKIII (loved it). If you want more, I just got ALO Pan Am which the HD650's to another level.

 

I've been considering the Pan Am. Does it really bring the 650s to life?

post #12064 of 18423
Quote:
Originally Posted by CraftyClown View Post

 

I've been considering the Pan Am. Does it really bring the 650s to life?

 

Definitely. Been a long time owner of the HD650, never owned the really high-end tube amps, probably the best one that I own is the X-Can v3 and v8, after that the Antique Soundlab MG Head DT. Always said the X-Can v8 was the best, but, now that goes to the Pan Am. Everybody said the Pan Am is made for the LCD2 (my next phones), but, in mean time I am very happy with 650 driven with the Pan Am, some say the the 650's are too lush for the Pan Am which is a warm sounding amp. Not me.

post #12065 of 18423

just gave away my LYR, i am an idiot. 

Cant believe i am stuck in a situation of WHAT's NEXT to feed this hd650.

wats a PAN AM...let me search.

Hows the soundstage of this PAN AM on the hd650..BIG??

 

Had the V3 before, a very airy amp, v good with the hd600 i had then. 

Not sure if this amp can wake up the 650.

 

Tot there is a new EF amp from hifiman...EF6?

post #12066 of 18423
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lorspeaker View Post

just gave away my LYR, i am an idiot. 

I'm in similar situation. Sold Lyr to buy Mjolnir. Now I kind of regret selling the Lyr. What if I don't like Mjolnir with HD650. Maybe I should have kept it and compare the two.
Right now I'm without amp, since MJ is still in transit frown.gif
post #12067 of 18423

the Pan AM is a dac+amp...i dun wan another dac. i hav got an AUDIOGD...which kills any other dac on MARs.tongue_smile.gif

 

Did i say the ef6, just found out thats a solidstate..going for 1.5k..n NO tubes...thats OUT of my trucking budget. blink.gif


Edited by Lorspeaker - 5/3/13 at 7:20pm
post #12068 of 18423
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrprana View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lorspeaker View Post

just gave away my LYR, i am an idiot. 

I'm in similar situation. Sold Lyr to buy Mjolnir. Now I kind of regret selling the Lyr. What if I don't like Mjolnir with HD650. Maybe I should have kept it and compare the two.
Right now I'm without amp, since MJ is still in transit frown.gif

 

You won't miss the Lyr. The MJ is better in all aspects. The only way to have that playing field levelled is if you gimped the MJ by feeding it a crappy single ended source.

post #12069 of 18423
Quote:
Originally Posted by olor1n View Post

 

You won't miss the Lyr. The MJ is better in all aspects. 

 

That's good to hear. 

 
 
post #12070 of 18423
Quote:
Originally Posted by olor1n View Post

 

You won't miss the Lyr. The MJ is better in all aspects. The only way to have that playing field levelled is if you gimped the MJ by feeding it a crappy single ended source.

http://www.head-fi.org/a/schiit-mjolnir-reviews-and-impressions-collected

 

been reading thru this thread, the hammer sounds brutally brutal. ph34r.gif

i cant go back to those bryston days. 

post #12071 of 18423

Got HD650's yesterdaybigsmile_face.gif

post #12072 of 18423
Quote:
Originally Posted by beyondthepale35 View Post

Im looking for a tube amp to try out with my HD650s, I dont want to spend too much since Im broke and already own a CKKIII, would something like the Little Dot MKII be worth it?

Edit: Budget would be below 200, just heard such great things about HD650s and OTL amps so wanted to give it a go.
I was in your shoes a few months back but i just decided to save some $$$ to go for something a bit pricer, but I would have just gone for the little dot iii I did some extended research and seems a lot of owners are happy customers.
You could find it used for about your budget on the classifieds.
post #12073 of 18423
En
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfetan44 View Post

Got HD650's yesterdaybigsmile_face.gif
Enjoy!
post #12074 of 18423

give us your odac/o2 hd650 feedback :P

post #12075 of 18423
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lorspeaker View Post

give us your odac/o2 hd650 feedback :P

Later:)

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyborg00900 View Post

En
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfetan44 View Post

Got HD650's yesterdaybigsmile_face.gif
Enjoy!

Thanks!

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Sennheiser HD650 Impressions Thread