Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Sennheiser HD650 Impressions Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Sennheiser HD650 Impressions Thread - Page 801

post #12001 of 19522

Does silver cables make the hd650 sound brighter?

post #12002 of 19522
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtb123 View Post

Does silver cables make the hd650 sound brighter?

Of course. Silver has brighter color than copper so it has to sound brighter than a copper cable. wink.gif

post #12003 of 19522
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtb123 View Post

Does silver cables make the hd650 sound brighter?

 

Yes, but a marginal amount. It won't completely change the tone of the hp. Some will say that they can't hear any difference at all. 

post #12004 of 19522
Quote:
Originally Posted by muxamed View Post

Of course. Silver has brighter color than copper so it has to sound brighter than a copper cable. wink.gif


No muxamed, I believe you've got that wrong. The relationship is inversely proportionate: the brighter the colour the darker the sound. That's why diamond cables sound darker than graphite cables (which are more electrically conductive) despite both consisting of carbon. wink.gif

post #12005 of 19522
It's a dark art....
The way to reach nirvana is to buy a pair of this silver cable on the buysell forum...
Plug it in n meditate over the three songs u love...
Wait for the alchemy to work.
biggrin.gif
If u like the sound, keep it
If u dun like the sound, sell it.
post #12006 of 19522
Quote:
Originally Posted by scolaiw View Post


No muxamed, I believe you've got that wrong. The relationship is inversely proportionate: the brighter the colour the darker the sound. That's why diamond cables sound darker than graphite cables (which are more electrically conductive) despite both consisting of carbon. wink.gif

hehe smile_phones.gif

post #12007 of 19522
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lorspeaker View Post

It's a dark art....
The way to reach nirvana is to buy a pair of this silver cable on the buysell forum...
Plug it in n meditate over the three songs u love...
Wait for the alchemy to work.
biggrin.gif
If u like the sound, keep it
If u dun like the sound, sell it.

 

There's something to be said for this method. For me, I seem to be able to appreciate the difference most when I listen to some piece of gear for weeks/months and then make that one change, whether it be a cable or an amp. My brain seems to fool me when I try to A/B.

post #12008 of 19522
Yes that's wat I do too.....
I let my current gears gestate for 3 to 6 months,
Meanwhile I frantically work part time for that 50bucks extra a month.
Then I take a blind/calculated shot in the buysell forum:rolleyes:
Then let the alchemy works.
post #12009 of 19522
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtb123 View Post

Does silver cables make the hd650 sound brighter?


Before you switch cables, try removing the foam piece between the drivers and your ears to see if you like that change.

 

IMO, the sound will open up more with the "de-foam mod" than switching cables...and it's free.

 

YMMV.

 

beerchug.gif

post #12010 of 19522
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lorspeaker View Post

Yes that's wat I do too.....
I let my current gears gestate for 3 to 6 months,
Meanwhile I frantically work part time for that 50bucks extra a month.
Then I take a blind/calculated shot in the buysell forum:rolleyes:
Then let the alchemy works.

I have a question for you, is english not your first language?

post #12011 of 19522

Oh my... I always thought the idea that a headphone's sound would change by adjusting the gain on the amp was balony, but... just now I was feeling a little dissatisfied with my HD-650's bass output, and when I realized the gain was at the 10db level, I kicked it up a couple of notches to the 20db level, and the bass all of a sudden opened up. 

 

Am I imagining things? I must admit I'm adjusting the volume by hand to level the volumes when comparing different gain levels. But the difference definitely seems there (and that's why I'm asking here just to confirm!). 

 

It's not like the bass got an immediate bump, as if I was EQing them, but, the bass just seems little more forward, and seems like a more "there". Does anyone share similar experiences? Observations? Btw, I'm using a Matrix M-Stage amp. 

post #12012 of 19522

Might be more thd in the bass.

post #12013 of 19522

Yea... before you posted that I just noticed the sound is a little/tiny bit muddier... but, I can't tell if it's just because I'm not used to it, or... if it indeed is more murky. Yet, turning the gain back down sounds anemic in the bass department again. :( 

 

I guess I'll have to do more fiddling around. 

post #12014 of 19522
Quote:
Originally Posted by fuzzybaffy View Post

Yea... before you posted that I just noticed the sound is a little/tiny bit muddier... but, I can't tell if it's just because I'm not used to it, or... if it indeed is more murky. Yet, turning the gain back down sounds anemic in the bass department again. :( 

 

I guess I'll have to do more fiddling around. 

 

Amps have lower distortion at higher gain than on low, that is until they are clipping, but right before they clip is when they perform optimally. So, running at low gain is not recommended except if it gets too loud otherwise or if you get clipping if you do it. You can't miss clipping, it's very audible  :-)

post #12015 of 19522

Oh wow. You learn something new everyday. Thanks for letting me know! 

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Sennheiser HD650 Impressions Thread