Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Sennheiser HD650 Impressions Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Sennheiser HD650 Impressions Thread - Page 797

post #11941 of 19095

This could get ugly!

post #11942 of 19095

Go for it! You know you want to! 

post #11943 of 19095

I didn't get the headphone "soundstage" thing, my HD650s were pretty much  - left, right and middle.

I was on eBay when I saw a headphone amp on auction with no bids so I bid a few bucks which came out at $1.50. I didn't notice until I had committed my bid that postage was more than $40 - oops! should know better.

Well I thought that's not much more than the components for my O2 cost and when I looked at the specs I realised that the 4 chips (2xAD797 and 2xBUF634) alone would cost me about that so I felt a bit better about the cost. It was described as SR71A XP7, it didn't look like either of those RSA units so I guess it's more of a "homage" than a rip-off.

Got it yesterday, spent nearly all of today listening to all sorts of music (CD FLAC rips > ODAC).

Now I get the "soundstage" thing.

Love my 650s more than ever.
 


Edited by jimmers - 4/26/13 at 10:10pm
post #11944 of 19095
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmers View Post

I didn't get the headphone "soundstage" thing, my HD650s were pretty much  - left, right and middle.

I was on eBay when I saw a headphone amp on auction with no bids so I bid a few bucks which came out at $1.50. I didn't notice until I had committed my bid that postage was more than $40 - oops! should know better.

Well I thought that's not much more than the components for my O2 cost and when I looked at the specs I realised that the 4 chips (2xAD797 and 2xBUF634) alone would cost me about that so I felt a bit better about the cost. It was described as SR71A XP7, it didn't look like either of those RSA units so I guess it's more of a "homage" than a rip-off.

Got it yesterday, spent nearly all of today listening to all sorts of music (CD FLAC rips > ODAC).

Now I get the "soundstage" thing.

Love my 650s more than ever.
 

 

Had a similar experience with HD600 when I changed OP-amps on Xonar ST, not that the soundstage was bad before but it got way better!

 

edit. the soundstage improvement is very hearable through loudspeakers as well!


Edited by xeizo - 4/27/13 at 1:32am
post #11945 of 19095

Never got round to chip-rolling on my STX, maybe I'll give it a go. What amps did you use?
 

post #11946 of 19095
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmers View Post

Never got round to chip-rolling on my STX, maybe I'll give it a go. What amps did you use?
 

 

3xLM4562NA/NOPB instead of the original 1xLM4562 + 2xJRC2114DD. The big difference here being that the new LM4562:s are 3x newly manufactured units and apparently there have been some improving going on behind the curtains, possibly the JRC:s could degrade some stuff as well even if I don't know how  ... The result is flying in colors anyway  :-)

 

I ordered mine from the largest electronics components e-tailer here, elfa.se, I had to wait a couple of weeks because they where out of stock.

 

Apparently so is the renowned Scottish High End HiFi-manufacturer Linn vey fond of LM4562 as well, as it is the dominating OP in their newest product line ...

post #11947 of 19095
Ugh, don't buy Sennheiser headphones, they're cheaply made, and have terrible sound. Most people only buy sennheiser headphones for the name and because they look good. if you want a pair of real audiophile headphones get Beats by Dre.
post #11948 of 19095
Quote:
Originally Posted by KingNigel42 View Post

Ugh, don't buy Sennheiser headphones, they're cheaply made, and have terrible sound. Most people only buy sennheiser headphones for the name and because they look good. if you want a pair of real audiophile headphones get Beats by Dre.

 

Obvious troll is obvious. 3 posts? Please...

post #11949 of 19095
Quote:
Originally Posted by KingNigel42 View Post

Ugh, don't buy Sennheiser headphones, they're cheaply made, and have terrible sound. Most people only buy sennheiser headphones for the name and because they look good. if you want a pair of real audiophile headphones get Beats by Dre.

Is this sarcasm? If its not, then maybe you're starving; for not having a single meal in a week now.
post #11950 of 19095

He is right tho, HD650 looks better than Beats.

post #11951 of 19095
Quote:
Originally Posted by TMRaven View Post

He is right tho, HD650 looks better than Beats.

Truebiggrin.gif

post #11952 of 19095

beats of any kind vs hd650 - no contest in any department! obviously 

post #11953 of 19095

I don't think he's being sarcastic. Read his other 2 posts...

The demo beats in my local store have the PU flaking off the pleather ear pads - that's not cheaply made, much.

My "Cheaply made" HD650s are, after 3 years, physically as good as new (sonically, better).
 

post #11954 of 19095

The hd6xx do have a lot of plastic but is beautifully conceived and executed in it's design. I wouldn't treat them as rough as say, fostex t50's but they are build very well nontheless. 

post #11955 of 19095
I wish it wasn't glossy though.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Sennheiser HD650 Impressions Thread