or Connect
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Sennheiser HD650 Impressions Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Sennheiser HD650 Impressions Thread - Page 774

post #11596 of 36866

I bought my 650's used and while they are in great condition, I've noticed that the headband has been stretched quite a bit (either on purpose or the result of the previous owner having a large head). As a result, they don't quite have the clamping force I would prefer. How would I go about bending them BACK? I'm worried the headband might snap after bending one way and then back the other way. 

post #11597 of 36866

You really don't want the clamping force, it'll ruin the expensive ear cushions. The clamping force of the stock headphones sucks. 

post #11598 of 36866

You should never try to bend the plastic section of the headband. What you can do is this:

 

Extend the cups all the way out. Grabbing the headband end and the cup, "gently" bend the metal portion only. Then try it out to see if it's adjusted for your head. Repeat until you get the result you want. Just be careful and go slowly.

 

gL!!

post #11599 of 36866
Quote:
Originally Posted by Satellite_6 View Post

You really don't want the clamping force, it'll ruin the expensive ear cushions. The clamping force of the stock headphones sucks. 

 

Yeah I don't want to bend them all the way back such that they have the original clamping force (I've actually tried on a new pair and it is definitely uncomfortable). 

If this is a pic of 650's with original clamping force: 

 

 

Mine look more like this (maybe even a little more spread out): 

 

post #11600 of 36866
You DO realize that the image of the other HD650 has SOME extension while yours is fully retracted, right? Full retraction will cause 650's to look more separated...

In any case, as people mentioned, grab the metal pieces and bend inward. It will give a little. Just do it carefully, and slowly.
Edited by Mad Lust Envy - 3/29/13 at 6:32am
post #11601 of 36866
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Lust Envy View Post

You DO realize that the image of the other HD650 has SOME extension while yours is fully retracted, right? Full retraction will cause 650's to look more separated...

In any case, as people mentioned, grab the metal pieces and bend inward. It will give a little. Just do it carefully, and slowly.

Good call. Yeah, they probably don't bend THAT much, so good thing you caught that. Maybe I'll just wait until I replace the earpads to do any bending. 

post #11602 of 36866
Quote:
Originally Posted by EraserXIV View Post

It's a toss up IMO. It might just come down to price and what you're willing to pay. I've heard several accounts of people saying they prefer the Crack to the CSP2+, I've heard accounts of people selling their WA2 because they prefer the Crack. I've also heard things happen the other way around. It's personal preference and it may come down to how much it costs and how much you can spend. Another tube amp that is commonly spoken of in the same sentence as the HD650 is the La Figgaro 339, it's been pretty well received around these parts and also on Headfonia.

 

Crack, CSP2+, WA2, LF339. I'm sure you'll be pretty happy with any one of these.


Did you mean WA3? Although I haven't personally heard it, I thought I read that the $500 WA3 was Woo's amp for best synergy with the HD650. Maybe I misunderstood...

post #11603 of 36866
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldSkool View Post


Did you mean WA3? Although I haven't personally heard it, I thought I read that the $500 WA3 was Woo's amp for best synergy with the HD650. Maybe I misunderstood...

 

While I'm sure the WA3 is also very good, the specific situation I was referring to was regarding the WA2

post #11604 of 36866
Quote:
Originally Posted by longbowbbs View Post

A picture of the HD650's and their big brother....

 

I was thinking of adding the big brothers, the hd800, do you think its worth it?  is the hd800 clearly better than the hd650 ?

I know the hd800 isn't great with all genre's but I was thinking of getting them as purely for film score/classical/acoustic music..

post #11605 of 36866
Quote:
Originally Posted by EraserXIV View Post

 

While I'm sure the WA3 is also very good, the specific situation I was referring to was regarding the WA2

Gotcha, my bad. Thanks for clarification.

 

While my HD650 sounds great with my Lyr, I suspect the ultimate 650 amp is still out there. Maybe OTL and balanced is the way to go?  smile.gif

 

beerchug.gif

post #11606 of 36866
Quote:
Originally Posted by eantala View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by longbowbbs View Post

A picture of the HD650's and their big brother....

 

I was thinking of adding the big brothers, the hd800, do you think its worth it?  is the hd800 clearly better than the hd650 ?

I know the hd800 isn't great with all genre's but I was thinking of getting them as purely for film score/classical/acoustic music..

 

Better....They are more resolving and have a much wider soundstage. If I had to choose only one, I would take the HD800...But I don't HAVE to choose only one! So I'll keep both because I still love the HD650's particular sound.

post #11607 of 36866
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldSkool View Post

Gotcha, my bad. Thanks for clarification.

 

While my HD650 sounds great with my Lyr, I suspect the ultimate 650 amp is still out there. Maybe OTL and balanced is the way to go?  smile.gif

 

beerchug.gif

 

The idea of an OTL balanced amp seems pretty good for the HD650, but I'm not too sure if one exists or is at least easily attainable. Does anyone know of anything that fits the bill?

post #11608 of 36866
Quote:
Originally Posted by EraserXIV View Post

 

The idea of an OTL balanced amp seems pretty good for the HD650, but I'm not too sure if one exists or is at least easily attainable. Does anyone know of anything that fits the bill?

 

I personally can't think of any balanced OTL tube amps.

post #11609 of 36866
Quote:
Originally Posted by EraserXIV View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldSkool View Post

Gotcha, my bad. Thanks for clarification.

While my HD650 sounds great with my Lyr, I suspect the ultimate 650 amp is still out there. Maybe OTL and balanced is the way to go?  smile.gif

beerchug.gif

The idea of an OTL balanced amp seems pretty good for the HD650, but I'm not too sure if one exists or is at least easily attainable. Does anyone know of anything that fits the bill?
Glenn can make one. Pretty sure Eddie Currents Super 7 also fits the bill.
post #11610 of 36866

I think its the recording what amp do you use ??? because since getting my la figaro 339 I also notice the same and its always the same songs and same placement...

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Sennheiser HD650 Impressions Thread