Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Sennheiser HD650 Impressions Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Sennheiser HD650 Impressions Thread - Page 743

post #11131 of 19545

I'm looking for a balanced cable for my HD650s, prefer a single 4 pin (as opposed to dual 3 pins). Along with an adapter to take it back to 1/4 unbalanced. That way I can easily move my HD650s from work (M/M stack) to home (Gungnir/Mjolnir). I'd prefer not to spend more on the cable than I did on my 650s. Any/all suggestions are welcome!  thanx.

post #11132 of 19545
Quote:
Originally Posted by rwelles View Post

I'm looking for a balanced cable for my HD650s, prefer a single 4 pin (as opposed to dual 3 pins). Along with an adapter to take it back to 1/4 unbalanced. That way I can easily move my HD650s from work (M/M stack) to home (Gungnir/Mjolnir). I'd prefer not to spend more on the cable than I did on my 650s. Any/all suggestions are welcome!  thanx.

 

If you're looking for an affordable option on a custom cable, I'd suggest BTG audio.  Also, Norse has some reasonably affordable options.  Or if you're okay doing a bit of work yourself, just clip the stock cable to whatever length you'd deem appropriate and then solder on the male 4-pin to the headphone end and the female 4-pin to the 1/4" side.  PM me if you need help with the DIY option.  The other option is to comb the FS forums.  Also, Norse has some reasonably affordable options.

post #11133 of 19545

Thanks! As far as DIY, I suck when it comes to soldering; I mean absolutely terrible!! I'll check out the links.

post #11134 of 19545
You can get a decent soldering station from RadioShack for under $40, and definitely get some silver solder. That will make the job much easier.
post #11135 of 19545

If anyone wants a pair of great condition HD650s, or knows anyone who's looking...

 

http://www.head-fi.org/t/653829/hd650s-like-new-condition

 

I want some K702 65th Anniversaries. They are so sexy. And I literally never listen to my HD650s anymore.

post #11136 of 19545
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raptor34 View Post

I recently went crazy in a moment of weakness ( i am NOT a cable guy) and bought some Moon Audio Black Dragon V2 for my HD 650's.  I've had them for 3 years now and I had run over the stock cable with my computer chair a couple of times.  redface.gif    A new cable was in order.   I must say the Moon cable has given the 650, to my ears a shot in the arm.   The senns just sound stronger and fuller now and my Lyr's volume control is down a couple of notches!   10 o'clock instead of 11:30.  Improved efficiency maybe?  Don't have the technical tongue to explain the improvement but it's definitely there.  Maybe some one here can elaborate?   The 650's are the same only more so.  blink.gif   I have no affiliation will Moon Audio except as a customer I might ad.   Lets just say I 'appreciate' my 650's more with the new cable.    Did I just say that?  Time for some breakfast.  
 


Well I was skeptical at first, but reading around it really seemed like the HD 650s seemed to benefit more from cables than other HPs... So i decided to pick up a used black dragon V1 for cheap (full retail for most of them is ludicrous IMO).  And in all honesty... I heard the same things you did... still same sound overall... but just cleaned up and more on the ends (more punchy bass, slightly more energetic trebles).  My stock cable was brand new basically... so not really due to wear and tear.  Did some testing with my friend (also an engineer who was a cable skeptic) and even he couldn't deny there was a discernible difference.  Just my own experience... YMMV

 

In the end... are expensive aftermarket cables worth it?  Prob not for full retail... most ppl are better off saving for better amp or new HPs.  But if anyone's feeling open minded and can nab a cheap cable to test out and try it... I'd recommend giving it a listen.

post #11137 of 19545

Hi guys,

 

I am going to get good amp for HD650 and was pretty much decided to get Schiit Lyr. Today I found in amp sale section Woo Audio WA6 for decent price. Is it good amp for HD650 or Lyr is better ?

 

Thanks for opinions.

post #11138 of 19545
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flisker View Post

Hi guys,

 

I am going to get good amp for HD650 and was pretty much decided to get Schiit Lyr. Today I found in amp sale section Woo Audio WA6 for decent price. Is it good amp for HD650 or Lyr is better ?

 

Thanks for opinions.

 

WA6 all the way! For me, I found the sound of the Lyr to be a little brighter but also harsher and more sibilant. Frankly, it sounded cheap. I preferred the sound of the Asgard/Valhalla. Bearing in mind the Lyr was designed with power in mind to drive more demanding orthos. The Woo has a much more refined and smoother sound. It's a lot more euphonic and musical. The pairing with the HD 650 is a dream. Lush and romantic. If you play around with tubes you can also tailor it to sound a lot more to your liking but even with stock tubes it really does sound great. 

This may sound silly, but you should really endeavour to find a place where you can demo these amps yourself. Everybody ears are different and it's best to pick your own personal preference. BUT SERIOUSLY, pick the Woo. ;)

post #11139 of 19545
Quote:
Originally Posted by scolaiw View Post

 

WA6 all the way! For me, I found the sound of the Lyr to be a little brighter but also harsher and more sibilant. Frankly, it sounded cheap. I preferred the sound of the Asgard/Valhalla. Bearing in mind the Lyr was designed with power in mind to drive more demanding orthos. The Woo has a much more refined and smoother sound. It's a lot more euphonic and musical. The pairing with the HD 650 is a dream. Lush and romantic. If you play around with tubes you can also tailor it to sound a lot more to your liking but even with stock tubes it really does sound great. 

This may sound silly, but you should really endeavour to find a place where you can demo these amps yourself. Everybody ears are different and it's best to pick your own personal preference. BUT SERIOUSLY, pick the Woo. ;)

 

Thanks for information. Just wanted to ask... I have Magni and Modi now, do you think it is really dramatic change to WA6 and Modi ?

 

Tbh I hated HD650 from FiiO E11, when I got Magni and Modi.. it was big change and I started to like them so that's why I'am looking for even better amp now ;)

post #11140 of 19545
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flisker View Post

 

Thanks for information. Just wanted to ask... I have Magni and Modi now, do you think it is really dramatic change to WA6 and Modi ?

 

Tbh I hated HD650 from FiiO E11, when I got Magni and Modi.. it was big change and I started to like them so that's why I'am looking for even better amp now ;)

 

The FiiO E11 doesn't have the capability to properly power the 650s. It would be holding them back. However, the Magni is capable of driving the 650s reasonably well. By upgrading to the WA6, you are firstly guaranteeing that you will get the most out of your 650s. But mostly, you are introducing a level of tonal improvement that is a step above. I would say you wont notice as much of a drastic jump as you did from E11 to Magni as for as the power capabilities. Where the real improvement you'll notice is the increased soundstage, the better instrument separation and increased detail. Furthermore, you'll notice an increased musicality that really complements the natural warmth and euphonic notes of the 650s. Hope that helps! :)

post #11141 of 19545

Do these ever "open" up and sound better? 

 

The sound seems like its coming through foam.....and its really starting to bug. 

 

I guess because Im a huge grad0/alessandro fan.....maybe these and the other headphones I own the DT-250's are not for me? 

post #11142 of 19545
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flognuts View Post

Do these ever "open" up and sound better? 

 

The sound seems like its coming through foam.....and its really starting to bug. 

 

I guess because Im a huge grad0/alessandro fan.....maybe these and the other headphones I own the DT-250's are not for me? 

 

The 650s do open up a bit, but not much. I suspect its because you are a Grado fan, the smoother, laid-back, midcentric warm sound of the 650s are just not as favourable to your ears. :)

post #11143 of 19545

how about maverick tubemagic d1 dac&amp? is it good to pair with HD650?

post #11144 of 19545
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flognuts View Post

Do these ever "open" up and sound better? 

 

The sound seems like its coming through foam.....and its really starting to bug. 

 

I guess because Im a huge grad0/alessandro fan.....maybe these and the other headphones I own the DT-250's are not for me? 

Take the Pads off than remove the foam grill from in front of the drivers,makes a big difference,save the foam in case you dont like the sound so you can put it back.

post #11145 of 19545
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flognuts View Post

Do these ever "open" up and sound better? 

 

The sound seems like its coming through foam.....and its really starting to bug. 

 

I guess because Im a huge grad0/alessandro fan.....maybe these and the other headphones I own the DT-250's are not for me? 

 

Do you have them well amped and with a good DAC?

Of course they'll never sound like a Grado, but mine are crystal clear.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Sennheiser HD650 Impressions Thread