^^ Hey, very clever!! The clamp also goes down the longer you wear them as the pads compress naturally over time.
Recent Images In This Thread
- productSennheiser HD 650 Headphonestagged by System, 5/6/10
Related Forum Threads
- Upgrading from Westone 4. Big improvement getting HE 500 or HD650? Last post on 10/28/14 at 6:19pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Headband mod for those sensitive to weight on top of head? Last post on 10/25/14 at 9:47pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Help troubleshooting my HD 650s!!! Last post on 10/14/14 at 7:22pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Where to get SENN HD-650 replacement PADS ? Last post on 10/13/14 at 2:18pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Sennheiser HD 650 any additional recommendations in this price range? Last post on 10/12/14 at 3:57pm in Headphones (full-size)
Brainwavz S0 Full Disclosure: Brainwavz supplied the S0 for this review It seems Brainwavz has been cranking out the new releases in their IEM line up of late. This time they’ve entered the...
TL;DR Review of the AKG Q701’s Accentuated Mids: Enhances most female vocals, also forwards vocals, “livens” synthesizers in electronic music. Can cause vocals to sound uneven due to the 2khz...
“You know, I’ve never owned any Schi….um, any of your products..” I was saying to Jason Stoddard in LA in March. Indeed, the last time I’d sampled anything from his company was years ago at a meet...
Alessandro Music Series MS1i Black Walnut Cups $169 Big thanks to JoeDoe of Head-Fi as he performed the cup installation as well as the swapping out the headband. I paid a little more for mine...
Sennheiser HD650 Impressions Thread - Page 733
Gear mentioned in this thread:
I think you 650 lovers have convinced me to jump in!
Forgive me for asking but this is a long thread that I want to dive into but I really can't wait to ask. Everyone talks about how great the 650's respond to upgrades and I am into that. But for travel, how will they sound with a modest amp such as the JDS o2?
I think you 650 lovers have convinced me to jump in!
Don't know the JDS o2, but I used to use mine with a Sony Bean portable mp3 player, and I thought it sounded good enough. It doesn't take much to get good volume out of it.
I have done a lot of research on the HD-600 and HD-650. I will tell you that your head band stretching technique is a long haul. The clamping force on the HD600-650 is well known or somewhat notorious. Since the head band is plastic...stretching it like you do isn't as effective as bending the metal side pieces that connect the plastic band to the ear cups. Best technique is to fully extend the headband....and bend the metal connecting side pieces right near the cup....just a little bit...one side at a time...not where the metal pieces enter the band where the metal parts push inside the band for adjustment. Hope that makes sense.
Some even disassemble the metal pieces to bend them but typically not necessary...they are easy to remove from the plastic band.
In the event your stretching technique is ineffective, I wanted to provide you another strategy to enjoy your great headphones.
I have been very happy with the HD650s I got them about a month ago. The only problem was that they clamped a bit too firmly on my out-sized noggin. I've read a number of posts about using the "kleenex" box method to widen the 650s. I decided to try a different route, using a DVD case. The advantage is that the cushions don't get compressed. Any standard DVD case should work; Blu-Ray cases are too short. Notice that the case is just above the ear pieces. It took about a week, leaving the case in overnight. Any way, fwiw.
Edited by 2wheelfan - 2/23/13 at 4:04pm
The O2 is transparent and has much more than enough power to drive the HD-650 very loud. It will reveal the limitations of your source equipment and recordings. I find the '650 to be quite polite, and the O2 goes great with them.
The idea of the 650 'scaling with better gear' is an absurd myth. Like any headphones or speakers, all it needs from an amp are proper measurements and sufficient power. The 02 delivers both. There is no magic involved.
I beg to differ.
I think some random guy made that up..that the HD-650 scales with $1000 amps and DACs etc. Just like the K400 won't work with any solid state amp due to lack of power(!).
I kind of think what they meant is that the HD-650 scales up with higher quality gear and not so much all this expensive nonsense. Like going from an E5 to an ODAC/Lyr/WA22 etc etc
Some expensive gear still sounds like crap I imagine.
When I hear someone say "scales up" I'm always thinking of that moron who claims the HD-650 is only good with $2000+ amps etc. I'm sure they're out there. I could believe that for the HD-800 at least. I know that requires at least a Fiio E1.
I have to admit the HD-650 DOES respond better with gear changes than my HD-598 and HD-600, but about the same as my DJ100 and Q701.
Oh and don't forget the HD-598 "scales up" but only with a $2000 amp. Without spending $2000 there is ZERO change. Trust me, i've tried!
NOTE: I totally believe that with the HD-650 every single thing it's connected to is important. Even things related to power from my wall! My surge protector degrades audio. Old house I guess...
- Sennheiser HD650 Impressions Thread
- › Kogan 8GB MP4 - The Player That Came From Nowhere: 19 seconds ago
- › AKG K3003 High End 3 Way System Headphone 21 seconds ago
- › Chinese / Asian Brand Info Thread (Headphones, IEMs, Amps, DACs) 3 minutes ago
- › How do you start a business/store? 4 minutes ago
- › Pictures of Your Portable Rig (part XVI) 4 minutes ago
- › You Know You're an Audiophile When.. Version 2! 4 minutes ago
- › Can Con 4.75 - Sydney Australia meet! 5 minutes ago
- › DIY Cable Gallery!! 5 minutes ago
- › Brainwavz' new portable headphone amplifier: AP001 5 minutes ago
- › Synergistic Research HOT 6 minutes ago
- › Brainwavz S0 In-Ear Headphones by shotgunshane
- › AKG Q701 Premium Class Reference Headphones, Quincy Jones Signature... by Nec3
- › FiiO X1 Ultraportable Hi-Res DAP by CasperBxl
- › Schiit Audio Valhalla 2 by Currawong
- › Alessandro MS1i by Mshenay
- › Sennheiser HD-598 by ringofoaksmusic
- › Cayin C5 Portable HIFI Audio Headphone Amplifier by AManAnd88Keys
- › Dunu DN-1000 by chupacabra314
- › Brainwavz R3 Revised Edition by Loquah
- › Sennheiser HD 201 Headphones by LMNproyect
- › The Great FiiO DAP FAQ Wiki
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Gaming Headphones)