Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Sennheiser HD650 Impressions Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Sennheiser HD650 Impressions Thread - Page 699

post #10471 of 20616
Quote:
Originally Posted by dpippel View Post

 

It's all so subjective. I find the DT880 to be one of the most boring headphones out there. "Fun to listen to" isn't a comment I'd use to describe them. biggrin.gif


Ha-ha, very true, like listening to robot's singing. biggrin.gif

post #10472 of 20616
Quote:
Originally Posted by dpippel View Post

 

It's all so subjective. I find the DT880 to be one of the most boring headphones out there. "Fun to listen to" isn't a comment I'd use to describe them. biggrin.gif


FWIW I also prefer HD650. DT880 can be a little dry and unengaging, especially when not properly amped. It is ok for some music styles but not for all. Nevertheless I think DT880 is a technically great can and good all-arounder but maybe not as engaging as some (probably because of the laid-back mids). They need a bit more attack. HD650 are all about the mids and for me are more "musical" (in a similar way as AKG k501 biggrin.gif)

post #10473 of 20616

In my experience when someone describes a headphone as "boring" it's usually a recommendation. Most of the headphones I've enjoyed most have been described as "boring" here, beginning with the Senn HD595. It's as well to remember that the function of a good headphone is to transduce the sound as accurately as possible--that is, get out of the way of the music--not add various colourations however pleasant they may seem, or however synergistic with one's choice of music. A headphone is supposed to be "boring" as it's not supposed to be adding anything, and to my ears the DT880 adds as little as any headphone I've heard (without of course being in any way perfect). Of course, if you want colouration I suppose there's always EQ.

post #10474 of 20616
Quote:
Originally Posted by pp312 View Post

A headphone is supposed to be "boring" as it's not supposed to be adding anything,

 

A headphone is not supposed to be taking anything away either. That can also be perceived as "boring". But you are right DT880 is very natural.


Edited by muxamed - 1/28/13 at 1:33am
post #10475 of 20616

My HD650 has been relegated to movies (plugged into the Astro MixAmp for DH) since reacquiring it. I had (and loved) the HD800 for music, with the LCD-2 stored away in its coffin for the odd times I wanted a change. Anyway, the HD800 is regretfully gone from the stable (will probably be reacquired in future) and I've spent the last week or so with the LCD-2. Still not a huge fan of the Audez'e but I am warming to it in the HD800's absence. I'm listening to the HD650 now straight from my MBP's headphone out and it is glorious. Just reaffirms my previous stance that I prefer it to the LCD-2.

post #10476 of 20616
Quote:
Originally Posted by muxamed View Post

 

A headphone is not supposed to be taking anything away either. That can also be perceived as "boring". 

 

Ah, semantics! Let us then say "altering" rather than "adding", since we both know that's what I meant. A colouration can be added, in fact, by a suckout in the frequency response, which is to say something taken away. How's that for a debating point?  tongue.gif


Edited by pp312 - 1/28/13 at 3:56am
post #10477 of 20616

Gotta say, the mid-bass hump allows for an enjoyable listen at lower levels. The HD800 is great at maintaining clarity at low volumes but it turns into more of a study, with the zest and bass subsiding. The LCD-2 is impressive when played loud, its visceral low end and smoothness is quite the experience. It's a comparatively dull affair at low volumes though. The HD650 maintains the toe-tapping, largely thanks to that mid-bass hump, but also because the layering does not collapse. There's still texture and dynamics.

post #10478 of 20616
Quote:
Originally Posted by pp312 View Post

 

Ah, semantics! Let us then say "altering" rather than "adding", since we both know that's what I meant. A colouration can be added, in fact, by a suckout in the frequency response, which is to say something taken away. How's that for a debating point?  tongue.gif

 

tongue.gif That's true. Then there is another never-ceasing audiophile question: How should the perfect frequency response look like? That's something we have to know before we can decide if the sound is altered. If we can trust this site's (http://en.goldenears.net/measurements and their view of "perfect FR" then both DT880 and HD650 (and even my, dare I say, beloved k701) fare incredibly well. wink.gif


Edited by muxamed - 1/28/13 at 4:51am
post #10479 of 20616
Quote:
Originally Posted by olor1n View Post

Gotta say, the mid-bass hump allows for an enjoyable listen at lower levels. The HD800 is great at maintaining clarity at low volumes but it turns into more of a study, with the zest and bass subsiding. The LCD-2 is impressive when played loud, its visceral low end and smoothness is quite the experience. It's a comparatively dull affair at low volumes though. The HD650 maintains the toe-tapping, largely thanks to that mid-bass hump, but also because the layering does not collapse. There's still texture and dynamics.

Well said. I agree with this 100%.  I do not own the HD800, but between the Lcd-2 and the HD650 I often reach for the HD650 over the two because of it's ability of maintaining a stable listening experience at a lower volume. When I want excitement and a thrill ride I reach for the Lcd-2 and crank up the volume.

post #10480 of 20616

Hey guys, I'm using the Magni/Modi Schiit stack, and from a lot of stuff I've read about these headphones, you need a pretty good amp to really make them shine. Is the magni capable of this?

post #10481 of 20616
Quote:
Originally Posted by AUTigers2016 View Post

Hey guys, I'm using the Magni/Modi Schiit stack, and from a lot of stuff I've read about these headphones, you need a pretty good amp to really make them shine. Is the magni capable of this?


yes

post #10482 of 20616
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barry S View Post


yes

+1

Plenty of power and a very expansive soundstage and depth.
post #10483 of 20616

To each their own. I owned DT880 600 Ohm and while I agree that they are excellent headphones, they don't have the resolution and timbre accuracy of HD650, especially in the mids. The bass is great on both, but I think DT880 can't quite match HD650's realistic weight, impact and PRaT - Beyers are a little sterile/anemic by comparison. The treble seems smoother on DT880. Soundstage is also wider on DT880, but has much better depth on HD650. HD650 has better clarity and imaging IMO - DT880 sounds somewhat diffuse by comparison and sounds are not as realistically placed in the soundstage as on the Senns. I could clearly hear the "3 blobs in the head" effect with DT880, but it is far less apparent on HD650. All in all, of the two, HD650 is the more transparent, truer to the source and music, and more enjoyable with music utilizing real instruments. DT880 may be better suited for electronic sounds. Just my 2 cents. For a natural sound, I prefer DT990 over DT880. I think DT990 is actually more detailed and transparent than DT880 and closer to HD650 in these aspects. In some ways, I feel that DT990 sounds more realistic than HD650 actually. Couldn't say the same about DT880 vs. HD650.


Edited by Pianist - 1/28/13 at 2:04pm
post #10484 of 20616
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pianist View Post

 

To each their own. I owned DT880 600 Ohm and while I agree that they are excellent headphones, they don't have the resolution and timbre accuracy of HD650, especially in the mids. The bass is great on both, but I think DT880 can't quite match HD650's realistic weight, impact and PRaT - Beyers are a little sterile/anemic by comparison. The treble seems smoother on DT880. Soundstage is also wider on DT880, but has much better depth on HD650. HD650 has better clarity and imaging IMO - DT880 sounds somewhat diffuse by comparison and sounds are not as realistically placed in the soundstage as on the Senns. I could clearly hear the "3 blobs in the head" effect with DT880, but it is far less apparent on HD650. All in all, of the two, HD650 is the more transparent, truer to the source and music, and more enjoyable with music utilizing real instruments. DT880 may be better suited for electronic sounds. Just my 2 cents.

 

I have been listening to these cans this evening and comparing them to each other through my Matrix amp and I agree with almost everything you say. Microdetails and sense of space are better with HD650. I percieve HD650 as more detailed wiith more space around the instruments. The soundstage is wider with DT880 but deeper and higher with HD650. DT880 feels recessed in the mids, especially when compared directly with HD650 and k701. With DT880 I am more aware that I am listening to headphones. Maybe it is the music I listen to (classical and jazz this evening) or my amplifier but that's how I hear what's comming from these cans. Nevertheless I think I could live with either.

 

But hey, this is HD650 appreciation thread. beyersmile.png


Edited by muxamed - 1/28/13 at 2:15pm
post #10485 of 20616

Interesting. You hear the 3 blob effect on the DT880s? I think their soundstage is very circular. I have heard sounds go 360 degrees around my head. I can understand what you might think about them sounding sterile, but I think they just have a clearer sound. In my opinion the decay is fantastic. I love hearing a song stop for 1/4 of a second and not having any bleed from the previous note. It just stops. I don't listen to a lot of naturally-produced music, which is why I prefer my DT880s a lot of the time. And I do agree that vocals are more forward on the HD650, but I would not call them recessed on the DT880/600s. They are extremely full and articulated. My HD650s know how to give me chills when listening to Lana Del Rey and other female singers, but the DT880s are almost just as good in my opinion.

 

But as we all agree, sound is subjective. Part of me wonders how much influence someone's preference for one sound or another has on their opinion of other sounds. I obviously prefer analytical and precise sounds more than I do lush vocals and what have you, but I'm not sure my love for the DT880's sound causes me to find flaws in the HD650.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Sennheiser HD650 Impressions Thread