Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Sennheiser HD650 Impressions Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Sennheiser HD650 Impressions Thread - Page 692

post #10366 of 24514
Quote:
Originally Posted by gopanthersgo1 View Post


These. tongue.gif

Still those? Alrighty then :)

Would they need an amp or would an amp help?

 

Also, these are the ones right?

http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B008FWB9TQ/ref=dp_olp_new?ie=UTF8&condition=new

And also the eBay link from earlier. I wanna make sure, and I also would prefer to have a return policy, so I'm hesitant with Amazon, although I could always ask about their return policy (whichever seller I might choose)...

post #10367 of 24514
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtaylor991 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by gopanthersgo1 View Post

These. tongue.gif
Still those? Alrighty then smily_headphones1.gif
Would they need an amp or would an amp help?

Also, these are the ones right?
http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B008FWB9TQ/ref=dp_olp_new?ie=UTF8&condition=new

And also the eBay link from earlier. I wanna make sure, and I also would prefer to have a return policy, so I'm hesitant with Amazon, although I could always ask about their return policy (whichever seller I might choose)...
Yup those are them... Ebay probably has better service, as all Amazon sellers are in Japan. The have 2 color schemes, 1 being Black/Back and the other Black/Silver, I have Black/Silver, and they look nice. They are durable, as I slept with them on, while sleeping on my side, and have dropped them a few times, and they are in better condition (no blemishes at all) than my NEW HD650s (headband paint chipping). They will scale with an amp, but not too well... I had a friend who said that they sounded much better from his laptop than his phone, so a decent portable player is a worthwhile addition (My Clip+ works great with it though, on the thread we even had a HA-S500 + Clip+ party!) They did do amazing with the ZO2.3 portable amp also, as they literally vibrate your ears! L3000.gif Burn-in is a must for these, as they have carbon nanotube coated drivers (20x stronger than steel) and need to loosen up. The other things are if you get them shipped from China/Japan it will take around ~20 days to get in (Some guy in the U.S. cancelled their order when they were already here, so it took 3 days!) and the other is comfort. They aren't the most comfortable headphones ever, but that can be fixed by switching out the pads (I'm fine with the comfort though, you don't feel it after a while). The pads you can get from Ebay when you purchase the S500s, as they both get shipped from Japan/China. You can also get HM5 pads that go around your ears from MP4Nation (The price is by the pad, so get 2). You also need 2 O-rings from Ebay (Make sure to get the inside diameter of 2-5/8") to go around the first pads so the HM5 pads stay on better (Stock or ATH pads -> O-Ring -> HM5 pads (Yes, pad on pad!)). The different pads tone the sound differently, and there are tons of mods you can do to make them sound even better, but many people leave them stock! The HM5 pads increase soundstage, and make them real comfy, at the cost of looks, and the ATH pads take away some bass and push the mids forward, while the stock pads are a great all-rounder (I use them for vocals AND EDM!).
post #10368 of 24514

Do yourself a favor and get some Koss KSC75s. Do the kramer mod, maybe do the headband mod if you want... heck, buy 2 pairs so you can have one with clips and one with the headband. Best $15 you'll ever spend.

 

Edit: YEEEEEE 500th post!!!!!!!!! You guys are da best!!! biggrin.gif

post #10369 of 24514
Quote:
Originally Posted by yokken View Post

Do yourself a favor and get some Koss KSC75s. Do the kramer mod, maybe do the headband mod if you want... heck, buy 2 pairs so you can have one with clips and one with the headband. Best $15 you'll ever spend.

 

Edit: YEEEEEE 500th post!!!!!!!!! You guys are da best!!! biggrin.gif


Now that I think of it, the Koss UR-55 is probably closer to the HD-650 sound than the KSC75, Porta Pro or DJ100. Too bad it's a bit more muffled than the KSC75. Kind of uncomfortable.

 

The DJ100 also has a titanium coated driver like the KSC75. It's a bit brighter than the Porta Pro. Better bass too, not more.

post #10370 of 24514
Quote:
Originally Posted by tdockweiler View Post


Now that I think of it, the Koss UR-55 is probably closer to the HD-650 sound than the KSC75, Porta Pro or DJ100. Too bad it's a bit more muffled than the KSC75. Kind of uncomfortable.

 

The DJ100 also has a titanium coated driver like the KSC75. It's a bit brighter than the Porta Pro. Better bass too, not more.


Speaking of Koss, the M50 pads fit the TBSE and Dj100, Hows the fit, Pics anyone?

post #10371 of 24514
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magicman74 View Post


Speaking of Koss, the M50 pads fit the TBSE and Dj100, Hows the fit, Pics anyone?


They're oval, but they fit just fine and are very secure and sound good. Brainwavz HM5 pads also fit. Not sure of sound.

 

Here's a picture of the M50 pads on the DJ100:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/508013/just-got-koss-pro-dj100-and-its-great/45#post_7630700

 

Sorry to derail the thread. It'd be nice to get a clone of the HD-650 as a portable. I think it's impossible, but you can get close.

Those that are said to get close usually have much less treble than my HD-650.

post #10372 of 24514
Quote:
Originally Posted by tdockweiler View Post


They're oval, but they fit just fine and are very secure and sound good. Brainwavz HM5 pads also fit. Not sure of sound.

 

Here's a picture of the M50 pads on the DJ100:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/508013/just-got-koss-pro-dj100-and-its-great/45#post_7630700

 

Sorry to derail the thread. It'd be nice to get a clone of the HD-650 as a portable. I think it's impossible, but you can get close.

Those that are said to get close usually have much less treble than my HD-650.


thanks Buddy, Ordered!!!   Can't believe I scored these for $50 at Tuesday Morn...  Now back to the 650's :)

post #10373 of 24514
Quote:
Originally Posted by gopanthersgo1 View Post


Yup those are them... Ebay probably has better service, as all Amazon sellers are in Japan. The have 2 color schemes, 1 being Black/Back and the other Black/Silver, I have Black/Silver, and they look nice. They are durable, as I slept with them on, while sleeping on my side, and have dropped them a few times, and they are in better condition (no blemishes at all) than my NEW HD650s (headband paint chipping). They will scale with an amp, but not too well... I had a friend who said that they sounded much better from his laptop than his phone, so a decent portable player is a worthwhile addition (My Clip+ works great with it though, on the thread we even had a HA-S500 + Clip+ party!) They did do amazing with the ZO2.3 portable amp also, as they literally vibrate your ears! L3000.gif Burn-in is a must for these, as they have carbon nanotube coated drivers (20x stronger than steel) and need to loosen up. The other things are if you get them shipped from China/Japan it will take around ~20 days to get in (Some guy in the U.S. cancelled their order when they were already here, so it took 3 days!) and the other is comfort. They aren't the most comfortable headphones ever, but that can be fixed by switching out the pads (I'm fine with the comfort though, you don't feel it after a while). The pads you can get from Ebay when you purchase the S500s, as they both get shipped from Japan/China. You can also get HM5 pads that go around your ears from MP4Nation (The price is by the pad, so get 2). You also need 2 O-rings from Ebay (Make sure to get the inside diameter of 2-5/8") to go around the first pads so the HM5 pads stay on better (Stock or ATH pads -> O-Ring -> HM5 pads (Yes, pad on pad!)). The different pads tone the sound differently, and there are tons of mods you can do to make them sound even better, but many people leave them stock! The HM5 pads increase soundstage, and make them real comfy, at the cost of looks, and the ATH pads take away some bass and push the mids forward, while the stock pads are a great all-rounder (I use them for vocals AND EDM!).

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by yokken View Post

Do yourself a favor and get some Koss KSC75s. Do the kramer mod, maybe do the headband mod if you want... heck, buy 2 pairs so you can have one with clips and one with the headband. Best $15 you'll ever spend.

 

Edit: YEEEEEE 500th post!!!!!!!!! You guys are da best!!! biggrin.gif

 

I'm leaning towards the JVCs, but maybe I'll try some KSC75s too, they're only $15. I've worn clips though and I only remember literally not being able to tolerate the pain from the clips, since they only stayed on if I clamped them like vice grips to my ear. Otherwise, they just fell right off. Then again I was pretty young (15 now) so hmm...

 

Would that mod with the new pads be reversible? If so, how easy? That extra soundstage bit almost bought me until I heard less bass more mids. I don't even know what mids are at this point (as in I don't know how to distinguish them, I currently think of everything as either highs or lows). I'd kinda like to try both setups to see which I prefer. And BTW I couldn't find any U.S. sellers on eBay either. Search "jvc ha-s500" returns no results in North America.

 

From a review from Swimsonny on the amp:

"The warmth of the amp however does make everything sound more cohesive and full and nothing really feels lacking on the amp, it is like snuggling into bed on a cold day with a hot water bottle and overly fun and enjoyable experience capable of putting a smile on any ones face."

 

That bolded part is probably one of my dream sound signatures to hear. That's the only part of the review that didn't somehow turn me off from the amp though. Maybe I'll try it sometime, I mean for $100 it's not out of the question. Are you sure that literally head rattling bass won't damage the cans (let alone your ears!)? Anyway, sometime in the future (quite a while, won't have the money, even after this summer is a long shot) I wanna try a Fostex HP-P1 or some other outboard DAC like an AlgoRhythm Solo (but that lacks an integrated amp too). I will get an iPod Classic sometime in the future, might Rockbox it, and would just line out to a nice FiiO or maybe a Total Bithead or something (haven't read up on it but I like the $99 price and how it comes with little velcro feet to stick it to the back of your device, or something along those lines it mentioned). For a while I'd just drive it with the iPod Classic though, and before the iPod my HTC One X. Hopefully that will work for a couple months? I don't even know when I'll be getting any of these things though. My list in order of preference: iPod Classic (likely a modded 240GB) > New set of cans > amp > outboard DAC like the Fostex HP-P1. I'm currently 100 some-odd dollars in debt (daddy's credit card and I just pay him back redface.gif), and after that I have literally 17-20 CDs to buy, and for a while I've been trying to keep actual music above equipment in priority. They're all playlists on Spotify though so I have access to it, maybe I could make myself wait and get the iPod and JVC HA-S500s first, but I have to muster up my 100-something and then the $300 on top of that.

Anyone wanna buy a Razer Mamba mouse or working condition but not-so-great laptop? ;) (seriously though, I'd like to sell the mouse sometime)

post #10374 of 24514

damn these headphones!

 

I like them so much, they have rendered my Alessandro MS-Pros useless, and I now have to sell them. 

post #10375 of 24514
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flognuts View Post

damn these headphones!

 

I like them so much, they have rendered my Alessandro MS-Pros useless, and I now have to sell them. 

 

If you think about it, nobody really has to do anything.  Make the others around you "adjust" so you can keep the headphones that you love.  biggrin.gif

 

Yes, this is the "selfish" approach, but one has to have some enjoyment in life, right?

post #10376 of 24514
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtaylor991 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by gopanthersgo1 View Post

Yup those are them... Ebay probably has better service, as all Amazon sellers are in Japan. The have 2 color schemes, 1 being Black/Back and the other Black/Silver, I have Black/Silver, and they look nice. They are durable, as I slept with them on, while sleeping on my side, and have dropped them a few times, and they are in better condition (no blemishes at all) than my NEW HD650s (headband paint chipping). They will scale with an amp, but not too well... I had a friend who said that they sounded much better from his laptop than his phone, so a decent portable player is a worthwhile addition (My Clip+ works great with it though, on the thread we even had a HA-S500 + Clip+ party!) They did do amazing with the ZO2.3 portable amp also, as they literally vibrate your ears! L3000.gif Burn-in is a must for these, as they have carbon nanotube coated drivers (20x stronger than steel) and need to loosen up. The other things are if you get them shipped from China/Japan it will take around ~20 days to get in (Some guy in the U.S. cancelled their order when they were already here, so it took 3 days!) and the other is comfort. They aren't the most comfortable headphones ever, but that can be fixed by switching out the pads (I'm fine with the comfort though, you don't feel it after a while). The pads you can get from [URL=http://www.ebay.com/itm/Ear-Pads-Audio-Technica-ATH-SJ5-DJ-Style-Headphones-Black-/261141771289?_trksid=p2047675.m1850
Quote:
Originally Posted by yokken View Post

Do yourself a favor and get some Koss KSC75s. Do the kramer mod, maybe do the headband mod if you want... heck, buy 2 pairs so you can have one with clips and one with the headband. Best $15 you'll ever spend.

Edit: YEEEEEE 500th post!!!!!!!!! You guys are da best!!! biggrin.gif

I'm leaning towards the JVCs, but maybe I'll try some KSC75s too, they're only $15. I've worn clips though and I only remember literally not being able to tolerate the pain from the clips, since they only stayed on if I clamped them like vice grips to my ear. Otherwise, they just fell right off. Then again I was pretty young (15 now) so hmm...

Would that mod with the new pads be reversible? If so, how easy? That extra soundstage bit almost bought me until I heard less bass more mids. I don't even know what mids are at this point (as in I don't know how to distinguish them, I currently think of everything as either highs or lows). I'd kinda like to try both setups to see which I prefer. And BTW I couldn't find any U.S. sellers on eBay either. Search "jvc ha-s500" returns no results in North America.

From a review from Swimsonny on the amp:
"The warmth of the amp however does make everything sound more cohesive and full and nothing really feels lacking on the amp, it is like snuggling into bed on a cold day with a hot water bottle and overly fun and enjoyable experience capable of putting a smile on any ones face."


That bolded part is probably one of my dream sound signatures to hear. That's the only part of the review that didn't somehow turn me off from the amp though. Maybe I'll try it sometime, I mean for $100 it's not out of the question. Are you sure that literally head rattling bass won't damage the cans (let alone your ears!)? Anyway, sometime in the future (quite a while, won't have the money, even after this summer is a long shot) I wanna try a Fostex HP-P1 or some other outboard DAC like an AlgoRhythm Solo (but that lacks an integrated amp too). I will get an iPod Classic sometime in the future, might Rockbox it, and would just line out to a nice FiiO or maybe a Total Bithead or something (haven't read up on it but I like the $99 price and how it comes with little velcro feet to stick it to the back of your device, or something along those lines it mentioned). For a while I'd just drive it with the iPod Classic though, and before the iPod my HTC One X. Hopefully that will work for a couple months? I don't even know when I'll be getting any of these things though. My list in order of preference: iPod Classic (likely a modded 240GB) > New set of cans > amp > outboard DAC like the Fostex HP-P1. I'm currently 100 some-odd dollars in debt (daddy's credit card and I just pay him back redface.gif
), and after that I have literally 17-20 CDs to buy, and for a while I've been trying to keep actual music above equipment in priority. They're all playlists on Spotify though so I have access to it, maybe I could make myself wait and get the iPod and JVC HA-S500s first, but I have to muster up my 100-something and then the $300 on top of that.
Anyone wanna buy a Razer Mamba mouse or working condition but not-so-great laptop? wink.gif (seriously though, I'd like to sell the mouse sometime)
The mods are EASILY reversable, it's as easy as putting you finger in the pad and working your way around it to get it off. Mids are the vocals and acoustic guitars, like the middle of the spectrum, between the bass and the trebel. keep in mind that it only reduces the bass if you try the ATH pads. The HM5 pads give you more soundstage, and lose or gain nothing else. Too bad no U.S. seller is selling them. frown.gif The bass won't ruin them, if anything, it way improve them due to burn in, remember, these are 10x stronger than regular headphones. There is a really cheap DAC that's supposed to go great with these shipping from China for $20 on Ebay. I do the same thing with my parents, buy something and then pay them back..... the life of an 8th grader! LOL tongue.gif Some of the mods for the JVCs include: stuffing the pad under the HM5 pad full of cotton balls and brown paper towels (the stiff ones in public bathrooms) (Forgot what this mod does... I think more bass and slightly better soundstage), putting tape over some ports right under the pad (To increase the bass greatly), and putting cotton (Or any insulative material) behind the drivers in the cups (Remove 3 screws on each cup, still very easy and reversible) (This one makes everything a tiny bit more realistic).
post #10377 of 24514

Hey guys, I am new to the HD650s, but I am loving them so far.  I bought a used pair, but it was in perfect condition (no paint chipping on headband or anything) and I would like to keep them like that.  Reading around these forums it seems like the paint chipping is common to these headphones?  I was just wondering if there was anything extra I could do (other than being very careful and babying them) to keep the paint from chipping off?  Thanks for any info. :)

post #10378 of 24514

You may want to click on the following link for our visual guide on maintaining your Sennheiser headphones
http://en-de.sennheiser.com/service-support/maintain-your-headphones

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by RootsRockReggae View Post

Hey guys, I am new to the HD650s, but I am loving them so far.  I bought a used pair, but it was in perfect condition (no paint chipping on headband or anything) and I would like to keep them like that.  Reading around these forums it seems like the paint chipping is common to these headphones?  I was just wondering if there was anything extra I could do (other than being very careful and babying them) to keep the paint from chipping off?  Thanks for any info. :)

post #10379 of 24514

Hey Rosmadi, since you seem to be someone who works for Sennheiser, could you answer the age old question, on whether there is an actual difference between the "black" screened and "silver" screened drivers on the HD-650 model?

post #10380 of 24514

Awesome, thanks!

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Sennheiser HD650 Impressions Thread