Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Sennheiser HD650 Impressions Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Sennheiser HD650 Impressions Thread - Page 677

post #10141 of 24317

This box

 

post #10142 of 24317
Quote:
Originally Posted by whoelse View Post

This box

 

 

 

Personally, I say then, there is no reason not just to get a HD600, which if you wait, you should be able to find at $300 new, or $250-275 good-like new. 

post #10143 of 24317
Quote:
Originally Posted by caracara08 View Post

Anyone having clamping issues try this at your own risk. I extend on side fully and carefully bend the metal band out. Do that to the other side. Only a little bit is needed. Don't let any pressure be applied to the plastic top of the headband.
I did this to every 650 I've owned and they are super comfortable

+1 to this.
post #10144 of 24317

Hi there guys, I just purchased a my HD650's a few days ago and was wondering what amp/dac to pair it up with. Any suggestions? Budget is below $500

post #10145 of 24317
Quote:
Originally Posted by rt310 View Post

Hi there guys, I just purchased a my HD650's a few days ago and was wondering what amp/dac to pair it up with. Any suggestions? Budget is below $500

Really happy with the Schiit Asgard, a steal at $250.

post #10146 of 24317

Seems like the Modi/Magni has to be considered under $500. 

post #10147 of 24317

has anyone gone Modi (if thats the dac) and lyr together? I personally have the bifrost and lyr and think they sound great with the right tubes.  I just dont have much time with them =\

post #10148 of 24317

Random note: I just wanted to say I take back everything I said before about the HD650 being "laid back". Before my biggest complaint with the HD650 (and reason I had the HD800 for a while) was that since the upper treble (14khz+) was recessed, it made violin, harpsichord and many classical pieces sound rather bland and boring and muffled. 

 

I've repurchased HD650s since swapping HD800s for speakers, but this time rather than running HD650s out of an NFB12 like I did last time, I'm just using my receiver's headphone out (Harman Kardon HK3490). It sounds way better than before. Overall quality is great from the Harmon Kardon, but most noticeably it's not at all laid back like my NFB12 was. I know for a fact the NFB12 was noticeably laid back because I once A/B'ed with direct output from my laptop, and while the laptop wasn't powerful enough to get good quality, the treble was noticeably more forward than with the NFB12.

 

Right now I'm really re-impressed with the HD650. Honestly this sounds about as neutral as I can imagine, great soundstage (much improved over the NFB12), dynamic feeling, etc. As opposed to the HD800, which has a bit too much treble, I'm finding the HD650 from a neutral dac/amp is remarkably well balanced all the way up to the far upper treble. For what people often call a "laid back" headphone, the HD650 easily reaches up to beyond my 19khz hearing limit without dropping off. The HD800 unquestionably has better sound quality and detail, but I must say the HD650 is really really good, and don't have any weakness I can possibly identify.

 

TLDR: I'm pretty much certain that these are the last headphones I'll ever need. 


Edited by ac500 - 1/8/13 at 10:59am
post #10149 of 24317
Quote:
Originally Posted by ac500 View Post

Random note: I just wanted to say I take back everything I said before about the HD650 being "laid back". Before my biggest complaint with the HD650 (and reason I had the HD800 for a while) was that since the upper treble (14khz+) was recessed, it made violin, harpsichord and many classical pieces sound rather bland and boring and muffled. 

 

I've repurchased HD650s since swapping HD800s for speakers, but this time rather than running HD650s out of an NFB12 like I did last time, I'm just using my receiver's headphone out (Harman Kardon HK3490). It sounds way better than before. Overall quality is great from the Harmon Kardon, but most noticeably it's not at all laid back like my NFB12 was. I know for a fact the NFB12 was noticeably laid back because I once A/B'ed with direct output from my laptop, and while the laptop wasn't powerful enough to get good quality, the treble was noticeably more forward than with the NFB12.

 

Right now I'm really re-impressed with the HD650. Honestly this sounds about as neutral as I can imagine, great soundstage (much improved over the NFB12), dynamic feeling, etc. As opposed to the HD800, which has a bit too much treble, I'm finding the HD650 from a neutral dac/amp is remarkably well balanced all the way up to the far upper treble. The HD800 is still a head in treble quality, but I must say the HD650 is really really really good. For what people often call a "laid back" headphone, the HD650 easily reaches up to beyond my 19khz hearing limit without dropping off.

 

TLDR: I'm pretty much certain that these are the last headphones I'll ever need. 

 

I came to the same exactly conclusion.  Other headphones might be technically better, but there is something about how the HD650 does everything combined.  congrats!

post #10150 of 24317

I have found the HD650 magical too... I went from my Beyer DT880 to the HD650 and there is something about the latter that just... works.

 

But I've also since ordered the HD800 and LCD-2.

 

This place induces a horrific case of upgraditis.
 

post #10151 of 24317
Quote:
Originally Posted by woodie View Post

I have found the HD650 magical too... I went from my Beyer DT880 to the HD650 and there is something about the latter that just... works.

 

But I've also since ordered the HD800 and LCD-2.

 

This place induces a horrific case of upgraditis.
 

 

And you only have 14 posts...! This is going to be expensive for you. 

post #10152 of 24317
Quote:
Originally Posted by woodie View Post

I have found the HD650 magical too... I went from my Beyer DT880 to the HD650 and there is something about the latter that just... works.

 

But I've also since ordered the HD800 and LCD-2.

 

This place induces a horrific case of upgraditis.
 

 

all 3 are amazing headphones.  for me, the LCD2 wasnt comfortable enough but I liked the sound a lot.  the HD800 sounded amazing with some songs, others not so much.  Since i play on random, i wanted more of an all-arounder.  interested to see what you think. I would give the 3 more time than you think since the HD800 will sound super bright right after the other two and vise versa.

post #10153 of 24317

Hello 650 folks.

I just adjusted the selling price on my 2 month old 650's

 

http://www.head-fi.org/t/644665/sennheiser-hd-650-less-than-2-months-old

post #10154 of 24317
Quote:
Originally Posted by woodie View Post

I have found the HD650 magical too... I went from my Beyer DT880 to the HD650 and there is something about the latter that just... works.

 

 

I agree.  I still keep my DT880's around because they are comfortable, great for games and home theater in their staging, and have nice deep bass impact.  The HD650's just offer a much more coherent sound that is pleasing with a wider range of genres.  Instrument and vocal timbre is wonderfully natural on the 650's and not nearly so good on the 880's, possibly due to their treble peak around 4khz - which unfortunately boosts certain high fundemental frequencies in addition to overtones.

post #10155 of 24317

So I need a new amp for my hd 650's I was looking at the lyr and wanted to know if I purchased a turntable to play vinyl would I be able to hook it up to the amp?

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Sennheiser HD650 Impressions Thread