- 7,800 Posts. Joined 4/2006
- Location: Los Angeles, CA
- Select All Posts By This User
Recent Images In This Thread
- productSennheiser HD 650 Headphonestagged by System, 5/6/10
Related Forum Threads
- Comparable to a HE-400 Last post on 12/15/13 at 7:40pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Best affordable Amp/Dac for Sennheiser HD650 Last post on Yesterday at 10:20 am in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- Sennheiser HD650 amp/dac advice Last post on 12/13/13 at 7:01pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Upgrade Suggestions from NFB-12 Last post on 12/15/13 at 3:42pm in Dedicated Source Components
- Schiit Amp and DAC Last post on 12/11/13 at 5:15am in Headphone Amps (full-size)
2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
Last edited: 12/16/13
- 2013 Head-Fi Summer Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)Last edited: 8/19/13
This Headphone have Very Good and Smooth Mid / High, Good Bass response. Cold-side, Analytical, Overall Clarity made this Headphone Shine, Bass may lack on some track or Not enough for some...
I recently traded my ATM-50's since they unfortunately lost lower frequencies and started crackling in the left ear. So I thought "Why not try something different". I was looking for something to...
Intro This was my first real pair of headphones, and they satisfied me for two years. So it is only fitting that my first headphone review be on these awesome headphones. The HD598s are a great...
Introduction First I want to start with an "I'm sorry" because I took so long to write this and to top it off, I feel as if the review was a "waste of time" because, well, I don't see it as very...
- 2013 Head-Fi Summer Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
Sennheiser HD650 Appreciation Thread!! - Page 609
Gear mentioned in this thread:
+1, Onboard soundcard's are pretty awful, the noise your probably hearing is Electro Magnetic RF/noise which is something they suffer from (some are worse than others)
I love the layout of the mobile app though...very nice!!
@tdock...we are in agreement on the 650. There is certainly no veil for me or mid bass hump. The bass is deep and textured and I go as far as to call the treble "energetic." But the mids are the real star of the show. Completely addictive.
I just can't stop listening to the mids on these. Honestly, I just can't see myself changing anything in my current setup except maybe some tubes on the lyr. It just sounds that good to me.
Alright... thanks for letting me know, guys. I planned on getting a separate DAC anyway, so... I guess it isn't much of a problem. I'll report on the results when I get one next month.
So... just to clarify once more... it's unlikely I damaged my headphones while I played around with it at the highest gain setting of 20 db (and, yes, the gain settings happen to be correct; I just misread the label for the dip switches on my amp - so, indeed, my loudest gain setting is 20 db), right?
Nah, VERY unlikely that you damaged those hp's. The 650 sure can take a lot and unless you were near max on the volume pot for an extended period on high gain then you're fine. You'd hear signs of damage anyway.
Matt: Alright... thanks for letting me know.
fuzzy1969: Yea... I tried it with my phone, but I'm still hearing not the clearest treble... but I'm guessing phones don't have the greatest DACs, either?
Edited by fuzzybaffy - 12/2/12 at 5:44am
Oh my... I just tried the HD-650 without the amp, and straight onto the onboard audio, and it sounded worse. LOL. Yea... I'll just assume it's the terrible onboard audio for now.
Edited by fuzzybaffy - 12/2/12 at 6:04am
Yes, please do get a new DAC and report back to us. Just for the sake of testing, I just tried listening to a few songs via my Onboard Audio and my Titanium HD (w/ Burr-Brown PCM1794 DAC). Even without the amp, I could hear a huge difference.
Nah sorry (to a poster named nicholas something or other that I thought was above me but apparently isn't.) The HD650 are excellent phones for the price and I like my pair but they are not even in the same technical league as the HD800 and LCD3. Sound signature has nothing to do with it. Detail retrieval and transient response on the 650 don't even come close to the 800 or LCD3. The technology behind the ring radiator driver in the 800 is miles ahead of what's in the 650, and likewise for the planar magnetic driver in the LCD3.
As much as I live the 650's I would hope they are not the equals of can casting 3X to 4X.....I would love to hear a pair of LCD-2 or 3's someday.
I auditioned the lcd2 for a week just a few months ago. Honestly, the sound was wonderful. I love a dark signature with good textured bass and the lcd2 gives you those in spaides.
But as good as it was it has two things going against it IMO. The price for one. And secondly for me, the comfort is what I'd call bearable at best. Comfort of course will be different for different people. But if I'm dropping $1k on a hp it better be damned comfortable. Too heavy and too much clamp for me to enjoy listening with it for more than about 30-40 minutes. I'd live with the cost if Audeze could find a way to shave about a third of the weight off.
yeh based on comments ive read the past few days, in this thread and various others, theres no way i'd go for any of the planar magnetic headphones. they weigh close to double any of the sennys and are uncomfortable? why would anyone want em? i wish i could say that i could tolerate the discomfort for the sake of sound, but nope.
i was set on the LCD2s being my next purchase after the 650s, but now i'm in the HD800 camp all the way. hated them at first due to their look, but i'd rather have something ugly yet comfortable and good sounding than something that sounds great yet has no comfort and looks doofy on your head.
gonna wait til CES to see if anything new is released, and if not, i'm purchasing the HD800s.
depends which phone you've got?
- Sennheiser HD650 Appreciation Thread!!
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- › Sony XBA-H1 and XBA-H3 Hybrid Dynamic and BA IEM 59 seconds ago
- › Sennheiser's Own Balanced Cables for HD 600/650, HD 700, and HD 800... 1 minute ago
- › Shure SE535: Reviews and First Impressions Thread 1 minute ago
- › HD 380 Pro buyers remorse. Advice appreciated. 3 minutes ago
- › Audio Technica ATH-M50 vs. Shure SRH750DJ vs. Onkyo ES-FC300 3 minutes ago
- › SPL Phonitor 5 minutes ago
- › Pictures of Your Portable Rig (part XVI) 5 minutes ago
- › To iPod Classic or not to iPod Classic? 6 minutes ago
- › Shure SE846 Appreciation Thread 7 minutes ago
- › Dubstep Girl's Massive 5AR4/5R4/5U4G Rectifier Review/Comparison!... 7 minutes ago
- › Samson SR950 by Emid
- › TDK BA200 by kimvictor
- › Shure SRH 440 Professional Studio Headphones by Misterbushido-
- › Ultrasone DJ1 by HybridBlinds
- › Sennheiser HD-598 by davisman
- › MrSpeakers Alpha Dog (T50RP Mod) by gelocks
- › Noble Audio 8C by John0405
- › Koss PortaPro - Headphones ( semi-open ) by cipurian
- › Project Palaios: Iona by lin0003
- › HiFiMAN RE-400 by getclikinagas
- › Headphone Power Calculator Spreadsheet by robrob
- › Headphone-to-Speaker-Amp Interface With... by robrob
- › Headphone Resistor Network Calculator by robrob
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide by jude
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Introduction) by jude
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Over-Ear... by skehoe
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (In-Ear... by skehoe
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Desktop Amps... by warrenpchi
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Portable... by cristina
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide... by SocialCapital