Ohhh... I see. I thought it was some thing where you actually literally roll tubes to make them work or something. LOL!
Recent Images In This Thread
- productSennheiser HD 650 Headphonestagged by System, 5/6/10
Related Forum Threads
- Comparable to a HE-400 Last post on 12/15/13 at 7:40pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Best affordable Amp/Dac for Sennheiser HD650 Last post on 12/15/13 at 4:55am in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- Sennheiser HD650 amp/dac advice Last post on 12/13/13 at 7:01pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Upgrade Suggestions from NFB-12 Last post on 12/15/13 at 3:42pm in Dedicated Source Components
- Schiit Amp and DAC Last post on 12/11/13 at 5:15am in Headphone Amps (full-size)
2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
Last edited: 12/16/13
- 2013 Head-Fi Summer Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)Last edited: 8/19/13
Since the Gamma y2 is a DIY project I'm not going to comment on the build quality as its dependent on the builder. The Sound The sound of the y2 varies on how it was built. Mine is using...
I just thought I'd write up a review on these headphones. They did a bit getting used to, because the reproduction of sound is so clear and even. Like getting used to a pair of studio monitors...
Its cheap, I got my blue ones for 6 dollars, it sounds good consider, and it is very light weight. I do not know why some people insist this pair is better than 50-100 dollar headphones, it's...
Well, i won't make a long review. Having the iPod Nano V6, SansaClip+, SansaClip Fuse, iAudio 6 and a mix of older Sony's, iPod's etc ... I think the best sounding player to me was the iAudio 6....
Do not buy an Astell & Kern 120. It claims 192Gb memory, but it indexes and uses only the internal memory - 64gb. The external SD cards carry files but do not show up on the device. Money spent...
- 2013 Head-Fi Summer Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
Sennheiser HD650 Appreciation Thread!! - Page 604
Gear mentioned in this thread:
Don't have any free money right now, in debt so I have like -$170 spending money lol. But I have a camera up for sale on eBay for $400 OBO (Nikon D3000 with lens and stuff) so hopefully that sells sometime in the near future. BTW I oughta go post that in the classifieds on here too!
The guy who's doing the "project" in the thread posted earlier seemed to have good results, the volume knob is just at like 9oclock, I doubt it'd be an issue. What would be the problem?
(didn't multi quote because they were like pages apart)
Oh God. The Sennheiser HD-650's sound amazing. I'm pairing them with the Matrix M-Stage, and at first, I thought I heard the infamous "Sennheiser Veil", but adjusting the gains quickly made it disappear.
They are indeed a bit warm, but its "darkness" kind of makes it an appealing warmth, not an obnoxious or stuffy warmth (like the Grado RS-1's, which sound good at first, but can get tiring after a while). It's just exactly how I'd imagined it from reading everyone's impressions/reviews on the HD-650.
Sorry don't know enough about that line of amp/PSU to comment on it. In fact, I've never tried the PSU change before but i suppose cleaner power should affect sound...? In the end though if you want the best bang for buck, you should probably just save for a better source or higher end amp. =P save your wallet more pain in the long run.
I don't know what family of tubes the Lyr uses, but I use GE 5 Star EF95 tubes in the Darkvoice and of all the EF95 tubes I've tried the GE's are really quite special. Very nice soundstage and warm, smooth mids.
Got my HD650's today! You head-fi'ers had me scared that it would sound horrible, but these produce better sound than anything I have (with no burn in and no amp; just running out of a Zune HD). I'm already hearing details I've never heard before, and I love how the treble has such great resolution without sibilance. I could do with some more sub-bass, but I suspect that these are fully capable of that in a better setup. I was expecting something far too boring and lacking in detail and accuracy based on the HE-400 vs. HD650 comparisons, but I feel no need to try out the Hifimans after hearing these. For now, at least. I can't wait to get them burned in and properly amped up; it sounds like that itself will be a whole new sonic transformation.
Planar headphones like the he-500 and he-600 can be run off the speaker terminals because their power hungry monsters and like a lot of current, dynamic drivers like the hd650's have a max power rating of 500mw any more and you will blow the drivers, its not something i'd like to try with my hd650's, there's also a impedance matching thing going on as speaker amps are matched for 4ohm and 8ohm speakers (mainly).
Edited by fuzzy1969 - 12/1/12 at 2:10am
The hd650 remains my go to headphone for the past several months. The sound signature, incredible comfort and magical pairing with the lyr make it irresistible to me when I get ready to listen to just about any genre of music.
Right now I'm listening to Essential Yo Yo Ma. Makes feel like I'm there.
Where did you find one for that price + free shipping?
Best way is to email brian and ask for a quote. There is a coupon listed on the site that brings it down to $399. But you'll get the best price from an email to him. code=razordog100
The site doesn't list Schiit amplifiers to begin with.
- Sennheiser HD650 Appreciation Thread!!
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- › Looking for new DAC, suggestions please... 41 seconds ago
- › PS4 with 3.5mm x2 Type Headset... 1 minute ago
- › AKG new headphone K545? 1 minute ago
- › Audeze LCD-X 2 minutes ago
- › THE HYPE.............................. Appreciation Thread. 3 minutes ago
- › Searching a new MP3 player 5 minutes ago
- › 「Official」Asian Anime, Manga, and Music Lounge 5 minutes ago
- › x3 - Freeze while playing 6 minutes ago
- › Fostex TH600 Dynamic Headphones 7 minutes ago
- › **Hifiman HE-400 Impressions and Discussion Thread** 8 minutes ago
- › AMB Laboratories γ2 (Gamma2) by JustinBieber
- › AKG K701 Studio Headphones by kmaenpaa
- › JVC HAS160B FLATS Lightweight Headband Headphones (Black) by Lokip000
- › COWON J3 32 GB Portable Media Player (Black) by Xstream
- › Astell & Kern AK120 by Beethoven Lover
- › Astell&Kern AKR01 Balanced Armature In-Ear Monitors by wolfetan44
- › Heir Audio 5.0 by surge
- › Philips Fidelio S1 by pignolo
- › Superlux HD-681 EVO Black Professional Monitor Headphones by alflying
- › Dunu DN-1000 by Brooko
- › Headphone Power Calculator Spreadsheet by robrob
- › Headphone-to-Speaker-Amp Interface With... by robrob
- › Headphone Resistor Network Calculator by robrob
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide by jude
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Introduction) by jude
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Over-Ear... by skehoe
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (In-Ear... by skehoe
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Desktop Amps... by jude
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Portable... by cristina
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide... by joe