Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Sennheiser HD650 Appreciation Thread!!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Sennheiser HD650 Appreciation Thread!! - Page 544

post #8146 of 16944
Quote:
Originally Posted by Digital-Pride View Post

That's right.  One for each room.  Who's needs the heating company, when there's Schiit Audio home heating services.tongue.gif
I have two tube amps and two GTX480s, I'm all set for winter.
post #8147 of 16944
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baten View Post

 

The iPod is filled with lossless music exlusively, the Burson is fed by a V-DAC at 96/24 with lossless source music.

Sure, the Burson is more dynamic and has more "body", but the ipod music sounds passable. I must have low standards.

Right now I'm listening at another computer set-up with X-Fi Go! and a Logitech amplifier which a pretty darn mediocre set-up. It's more dynamic than the iPod, but it lacks warmth and sounds a bit tinny. Still, it sounds far from bad.

 

I have been wearing these 650's for 3 hours without end now. Lovely.

 

That sounds a lot better wink.gif  Dynamics, body, and midbass control are the first things to go when underamping HD650.  Sure it sounds passable....but we don't buy former-flagships (or when I bought mine...flagships) for "passable" audio, right? wink.gif

post #8148 of 16944
Quote:
Originally Posted by IEMCrazy View Post

 

That sounds a lot better wink.gif  Dynamics, body, and midbass control are the first things to go when underamping HD650.  Sure it sounds passable....but we don't buy former-flagships (or when I bought mine...flagships) for "passable" audio, right? wink.gif

 

The Burson has awesome PRaT and is very musical, but I like how soothing and relaxing this former flagship is with lesser sources and amplification just as well.

I'm not saying it's what it should be used for, but it still sounds awesome.. enough.

post #8149 of 16944
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baten View Post

 

The Burson has awesome PRaT and is very musical, but I like how soothing and relaxing this former flagship is with lesser sources and amplification just as well.

I'm not saying it's what it should be used for, but it still sounds awesome.. enough.

 

True enough!  But HD650 is of high enough purebreed pedigree to demand to be fed only organic premium foods L3000.gif

 

It'll sound good enough on modest equipment, but it's a phenominal headphone that'll keep rewarding the best of feeds!

post #8150 of 16944
Quote:
Originally Posted by Draygonn View Post

I have two tube amps and two GTX480s, I'm all set for winter.

Lol, i've got my lyr now and i've got 3 480s in my rig.. I'm just gonna leave my pc on all day and i won't even need the heat on. And plus one of my fans broke so it runs even hotter than before, i should probably get that fixed tongue_smile.gif

post #8151 of 16944

Interesting.  I tried the HD650 straight out of my iPhone 4 and if it had been a horse--I would have shot it.  Out of the op-amp headphone feed in my Pioneer receiver, it really opened up, but the Lyr--well, the Lyr lights up the HD650 like the 4th of July.  I started with some Amperex orange globe A-frames--and they have a nice warm tubey sound.  I was so happy with that combination and was skeptical of tube rolling--so it took me a while to try anything else.  I recently switched to the stock GE 6BZ7 tubes and was surprised at the brighter sound.  The 6BZ7 tubes give the HD650 a little extra bite, although they don't sound quite as smooth as the Amperex tubes.  You guys with Lyrs should mention the tubes you're using.

post #8152 of 16944
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barry S View Post

You guys with Lyrs should mention the tubes you're using.

 

http://www.head-fi.org/t/549508/schiit-lyr-the-tube-rolling-thread

 

There's already a nice 275 page thread on that topic.  Have fun.

post #8153 of 16944

I'm using the GE's and I like them a lot. Just got a loaner box of tubes from another headfier. I really like the Lorenz and the Telefunkin's.  biggrin.gif

post #8154 of 16944
Quote:
Originally Posted by IEMCrazy View Post

 

True enough!  But HD650 is of high enough purebreed pedigree to demand to be fed only organic premium foods L3000.gif

 

It'll sound good enough on modest equipment, but it's a phenominal headphone that'll keep rewarding the best of feeds!

 

 

Yes,

 

Like a 4 Channel Fully Balanced βeta-22.

 

Don't worry, I haven't put them on the mono blocks - yetwink_face.gif

post #8155 of 16944

Hello there

 

 

Well there HD 650's turned up today, only had them on for 15 min and am a happy bunny, with a big smile on his face.

 

 

Cheers Frank
 

post #8156 of 16944
Quote:
Originally Posted by Holowlegs View Post

Hello there

 

 

Well there HD 650's turned up today, only had them on for 15 min and am a happy bunny, with a big smile on his face.

 

 

Cheers Frank
 

 

 

Frank - your avatar scared the sh_t outta me..  beerchug.gif

post #8157 of 16944
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwusoccer View Post

Lol, i've got my lyr now and i've got 3 480s in my rig.. I'm just gonna leave my pc on all day and i won't even need the heat on. And plus one of my fans broke so it runs even hotter than before, i should probably get that fixed tongue_smile.gif

Your face when the 4xx series was Dun Goof'd my nVidia before the 5xx and 6xx.

 

With that said my bfg gtx 280 puts my asgard to shame, you can literally fry an egg on the 280.

post #8158 of 16944
Quote:
Originally Posted by preproman View Post

 

 

Frank - your avatar scared the sh_t outta me..  beerchug.gif

 

AArrr him, that's the preacher, who says his bit at Speakers Corner here in London. All to do with my other hobby which is photography. Have a web site if you wish to have a look.

 

A frank View

 

 

Your avatar is very chilled out looking.

 

 

Cheers Frank

post #8159 of 16944

Congrats Frank!! You just bought a hp that you could settle in with for about, oh the next 10 years or so and get a whole lot of great head time with. 

 

What are you using for amp/dac?

post #8160 of 16944
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattTCG View Post

Congrats Frank!! You just bought a hp that you could settle in with for about, oh the next 10 years or so and get a whole lot of great head time with. 

 

What are you using for amp/dac?


Thanks Matt

 

 

Well they will have to last me a little while as my next big purchase is a new camera.

 

As for my set up: At the moment my system is a pc running Jriver software, playing Flac, converted from CD or some 24 bit flac from B&W society of sound, sent to a Lindemann USB-DAC 24/192, then a White Bird Amplification- Virtus-01.

 

 

Not a common set up, but I wrote a little bit about it here, and how lucky I got.

 

I see you have a Lyr, was looking at buying one of these as I was very impressed with it, I demoed it with a Bi Frost DAC, and this was the set up I was going to go for, with the HD 650's.

 

 

Cheers Frank

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Sennheiser HD650 Appreciation Thread!!