- 155 Posts. Joined 2/2012
- Location: East Finchley, London, UK
- Select All Posts By This User
Recent Images In This Thread
- productSennheiser HD 650 Headphonestagged by System, 5/6/10
Related Forum Threads
- Looking for COMFORTABLE Audiophile grade headphones Last post on Yesterday at 4:30 pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Best headphones for listening to music (under £150) ? Last post on 4/9/14 at 4:29pm in Headphones (full-size)
- getting a good but cheap longer hd-650 cable. Not looking for quality here, just longer cable! Last post on 4/8/14 at 9:49am in Headphones (full-size)
- getting a good but cheap longer hd-650 cable. Not looking for quality here, just longer cable! Last post on 4/8/14 at 10:21am in Headphones (full-size)
- Friend is giving me his KRK Rokit 6's and I need advice on how to connect them to my macbook... Last post on 4/7/14 at 8:51pm in Introductions, Help and Recommendations
2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
Last edited: 2/5/14
- 2013 Head-Fi Summer Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)Last edited: 8/19/13
The Sennheiser HD280 that I'm reviewing do not belong to me, they're presumably a couple years old (I didn't ask) and in good condition aside from a couple scratches on the earcups. I was curious...
Disclaimer The FR is a review sample sent from Noble Audio. The reviewer was compensated in the form of a ridiculously cool and form-fitting Noble Audio shirt. Introduction Despite humans...
My Review of the Beyerdaynamic dx 160ie In Ear Monitors I will start with the summary / conclusion. This way you get all the important information right away. If you want to know how I came to...
These earbuds were my first "serious" earbuds and they dissapointed me pretty soon. Everything was perfect until one morning I went out plugged them in and found that the cable was disconnected...
This is my first review, but I will try to make it fast and straight to the point. I just received the HD580s from ebay, and before I bought them I did some research and found out these have...
- 2013 Head-Fi Summer Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
Sennheiser HD650 Appreciation Thread!! - Page 952
Gear mentioned in this thread:
Dang. Now I'm feeling lonely.
Have just ordered the HD650 and a Russ Andrews HC-2 cable. My current Q701s are musical and clear, but all the burn-in that I throw at them can't get rid of uncontrolled digital glare on upper orchestral strings in some recordings. Also, the head-band is uncomfortable on my bald head. Audiolab M-DAC + Lovely Cube btw.
I find my HD650s direct from the M-DAC headphone out (source: Mac Mini/Audirvana) deliver excellent detail and positioning. Timbral accuracy?... the jury is still out on that one.
Look forward to reading your impressions.
The HD 650s arrived today. I'm still waiting for the Russ Andrews cable.
First impressions out of the box with Audiolab M-DAC and Lovely Cube from source Samsung Series 7 laptop and MediaMonkey. Warm and fuzzy with a bass bulge. Already though, there is a welcome relief from the tizz that the Q701s have. Also, there is an uncanny focus on the musical line - the sound has many faults at the moment, but it makes me want to listen to it.
After three to four hours burn-in with music and pink noise:
Wagner Götterdämmerung 1951 Knappertsbusch CD Testament SBT 4175. Poor recording. The HD 650 find the music. The Q701s are more revealing of detail in a sense, but the sound is bright, but a little starved in depth. The Sennheisers find bass frequencies which completely elude the Q701s. Both cans have merits.
And now for something completely different.
Tom Waits - 'Hold on' from '"Mule Variations" streamed from a FLAC file on NAS storage. I always loved the sound of it through the AKGs. Starting again with the HD 650s. I think that I'm getting an impoverishment of detail and a slightly imprecision in stereo detail. Warm, fuzzy and musical again. Q701s - lots, lots more instrumental detail, great clarity, more soundstage side-to-side but rather two-dimensional. The HD 650s have more warmth, passion and depth. I think that I can hear the sound improving as I listen (or is it me getting used to it?). This is on 3-4 hours burn-in.
I'll leave it at that for now. I don't want to outstay my welcome! Thanks to all of you for sharing your love of music, sound and beauty.
The 650 continues to improve with time and age IMO. I would continue to listen. Your description sounds accurate. Warm with passion. They are very different from your 701's. Maybe they'll make a nice complementary set.
Thank you so much for your advice. I'll report more in due course - soon, actually. One thing though - these cans fit my head perfectly. They are so comfortable. It's now official. I don't have a big head.
Personally for me more importantly than any kind of burn in is giving the headphone enough time exclusively to get used to its sound signature and become accustomed. It is rare to be able to fully understand a headphones full capability from the first number of hours personally.
When I switch from the TH900 to say the T1 after exclusively listening to the Fostex for 20-30 hours then the T1 to my ears sounds "wrong" or at least odd to compared to what I was used to in sound signature. Likewise if I were to do the same for the T1 and switch back I may find that I'd be very attentive/conscious at first with the changes in some of the frequency range. Pretty simple of course.
YMMV as we all have our different processes.
5.00 a.m. After five hours of pink noise - so we must be approaching the ten hours mark on burn-in - there are definite changes. The bass 'bulge' has gone and the bass has tightened. So has the imaging, which is now much more precise. Some hints of the famous 'veil' on mids and treble on some recordings. The soundstage is suddenly wider - it felt very restricted laterally just out of the box. Looking forward to the cable upgrade...
Pink noise is random noise having equal energy per octave, and so having more low-frequency components than white noise. Some people use them to "break-in" their new cans. I am sure other have more/better info on Pink Noise.
As far as the HD650's feel and quality, I think they feel very comfortable. When brand-new out of the box they may clamp a bit, but it soon goes away after some use. The build quality is pretty good too, although I have heard of minor paint chipping on the headband, but I haven't had that issue.
- Sennheiser HD650 Appreciation Thread!!
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- › Close back headphone with similar sound signature as the Akg K240? 1 minute ago
- › DAP-off: Astell&Kern AK240, HiFiMAN HM-901, Sony ZX-1, FiiO X5 2 minutes ago
- › The Basshead Club 3 minutes ago
- › Official 2014 SF Head-Fi Meet, July 19, 2014, DoubleTree San... 3 minutes ago
- › Review + Appreciation thread: Final Audio Design Pandora Hope VI... 3 minutes ago
- › Uplifting Trance reccomendations 4 minutes ago
- › ALO RX original 4 minutes ago
- › High End Bluetooth Headphones 4 minutes ago
- › JRiver Media Center 19 is better! 4 minutes ago
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (Update: 3/29/2014:... 5 minutes ago
- › Sennheiser HD 280 Headphones by LaPierre
- › Noble Audio FR by HideousPride
- › Beyerdynamic DX 160 iE by AManAnd88Keys
- › JBL J33 Premium In-Ear Headphones - Black by QyababAM
- › Sennheiser HD 580 by achelgeson
- › AKG K612 PRO Reference Studio Headphones by Flizz
- › Forza Audioworks Copper Series Cable by awry
- › AKG K701 Studio Headphones by unshavenbastard
- › T-Peos H-300 - 3 Way Hybrid by djvkool
- › Astrotec AX-30 by bowei006
- › Westone latest universal iem flagship was the... by majedelamine
- › How to find the Tokyo e-earphone shop by Currawong
- › The Best BASS Headphones ( a Head-Fi Wiki) by Hawaiibadboy
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (In-Ear... by joe
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Over-Ear... by jude
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Over-Ear... by joe
- › Adjusting bias on Stax tube amplifiers by ardilla
- › Headphone Power Calculator Spreadsheet by robrob
- › Headphone-to-Speaker-Amp Interface With... by robrob
- › Headphone Resistor Network Calculator by robrob