Head-Fi.org › Forums › Misc.-Category Forums › Members' Lounge (General Discussion) › What book are you reading right now?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

What book are you reading right now? - Page 250

post #3736 of 3826
Gehenna Dawn by Jay Allan. I like it - typical sci-fi mil-tech story: An alien world with a barely tolerable environment, a vast enemy of alien cyborgs, a cadre of human hero soldiers and a corrupt and inept government running the show back on Earth. What's not to like? biggrin.gif


post #3737 of 3826

just finished this, was really good ¬

 

 

On to this now and about time too .... 

 

post #3738 of 3826

The music may be timeless, but the lives of the tortured souls who produced this great album clearly were not; most were cut short by accident or substance abuse, while those who remain bear deep scars. And lead player Eric Clapton, despite a hugely successful career, has been shadowed by this album, which he knew at the time would be the defining high point of his career. Both casual and committed rock fans will be compelled by the heartbreaking and often lurid details surrounding the saga of Layla and Derek and the Dominos--which has never been completely disclosed until now. -Synopsis

 

 

My time, my era, my music.  When I was a kid, Clapton was indeed God.


Edited by Old Groucho - 6/23/14 at 7:29pm
post #3739 of 3826

Not as compelling as "The Big Short," still a very readable novel, by the writer of "Moneyball" and "The Blind Side."  One of my favorite writers, the book gives insight into the need for speed in this age of trading.  The issue for me is not the story, which is fascinating, but the protagonists which are not present.  When Lewis rocks he takes a first person account and runs it through his own knowledgable narrative.  Since he came out of a world of high finance I think this field is easy for him to comment on but hard for him to put into words.

 

That being said, I was bothered and riveted by a world in which computers spontaneously decide to invest or divest via programs designed to profit from slight and sometimes huge movements in the stock market.  When you see huge swings in a stock price keep in mind computers have already been configured to weigh the odds and to price up and down to take advantage of the swings.

 

Congress is moving to outlaw this practice but I have a feeling the players will be ahead of that curve as well.

post #3740 of 3826
Quote:
Originally Posted by RUMAY408 View Post
 

 

Not as compelling as "The Big Short," still a very readable novel, by the writer of "Moneyball" and "The Blind Side."  One of my favorite writers, the book gives insight into the need for speed in this age of trading.  The issue for me is not the story, which is fascinating, but the protagonists which are not present.  When Lewis rocks he takes a first person account and runs it through his own knowledgable narrative.  Since he came out of a world of high finance I think this field is easy for him to comment on but hard for him to put into words.

 

That being said, I was bothered and riveted by a world in which computers spontaneously decide to invest or divest via programs designed to profit from slight and sometimes huge movements in the stock market.  When you see huge swings in a stock price keep in mind computers have already been configured to weigh the odds and to price up and down to take advantage of the swings.

 

Congress is moving to outlaw this practice but I have a feeling the players will be ahead of that curve as well.

Interesting. I have this locked and loaded on the kindle ready to read.

post #3741 of 3826

post #3742 of 3826

 

I thought that I would hate Harry Potter but i am actually really enjoying it

post #3743 of 3826
I was sceptical of the Harry Potter phenomenon, but borrowed the first book from my niece, and it's good fun. Not exactly brilliant, but engaging and imaginative - I can see why people like it. Can't speak for any of the other books, as I haven't read them.

If you want a more realistic portrayal of boarding school, try Molesworth, which actually is genius.
post #3744 of 3826
Quote:
Originally Posted by PalJoey View Post

I was sceptical of the Harry Potter phenomenon, but borrowed the first book from my niece, and it's good fun. Not exactly brilliant, but engaging and imaginative - I can see why people like it. Can't speak for any of the other books, as I haven't read them.

If you want a more realistic portrayal of boarding school, try Molesworth, which actually is genius.

I will give that a go - at some stage

post #3745 of 3826
SWORLD: The Chronicles of Whyman

post #3746 of 3826
Quote:
Originally Posted by Room40 View Post
 

Interesting. I have this locked and loaded on the kindle ready to read.

When I compare this book to "Moneyball," "The Big Short," or "The Blind Side" that speaks for itself.  

Lewis is a great writer, the subject is more interesting than the players involved.  

If you could get an inside tip on the stock market you can make hay, illegal, but apparently not if you can do it in milliseconds.

Thats the problem, the key is to build a system that is faster than anyone else.

 

Fascinating subject and everyone who has a pension or owns stocks is affected.

post #3747 of 3826
Groucho Marx - Short Stories and Tall Tales.
post #3748 of 3826
I just finished Terminal Freeze by Lincoln Child. An excellent read (or listen)!! Sort of reminded me of a Stephen King novel. It's not for the faint of heart, but I enjoyed the suspense and the overall concept. The ending? Well...


post #3749 of 3826

Speaking of Stephen King, I just recently re-read my favorite book by him, The Long Walk. Sadly, it's not widely well known but it's brilliantly gory and cruel- a true dystopian story unlike the newer book series such as Divergent (which I find to be a bit shallow but entertaining). In fact, if you've read it, you'll know it probably inspired my username here on Head-Fi.

 


Edited by Garraty - 7/2/14 at 8:33am
post #3750 of 3826

 

A collection of short stories, with Wyndham's usual mix of sly humour and weirdness. Very enjoyable.
 


 

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Misc.-Category Forums › Members' Lounge (General Discussion) › What book are you reading right now?