Head-Fi.org › Forums › Misc.-Category Forums › Members' Lounge (General Discussion) › What book are you reading right now?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

What book are you reading right now? - Page 238

post #3556 of 4487
Quote:
Originally Posted by magiccabbage View Post
 

I would agree - i also have "critic of pure reason" but I found Heideggers "on Mindfulness" harder going. 

 

I have not yet read Heideggers, but will surely will. Slowly creating a list of books to read. 

 

But I need to admit that don't know how those philosophers compare in English, as I always try to avoid translations.

post #3557 of 4487
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDreamthinker View Post
 

 

Exactly....after those 5 pages, i told myself that how mind-blowing he might be, I simply have too much 'real stuff 'on my mind to allocate much of my brain power to deciphering his syntax.

Gladly it was my cousins book, so i didn't buy it in the first place.:D

 

Actually I started to read a Schopenhauer compilation a while ago (i think i still have the book flying around somewhere), but somehow stopped in the middle.

I wanted to continue reading it a year later, but at that time my interest had somewhat shifted away from pessimism. 

 

I yet have to find a book (in any language) which is more difficult to follow than 'Critique of pure reason'. I probably have to be on a deserted island (with nothing to do) in order to finish that one...


Schopenhauer is so much more then the 'pessimist' people make of him.. If you ever get the urge, you really should try his main work, Die Welt als Wille und Vorstellung, which is by far his best work (which he finished before being 30!) compared to his other stuff or what others write about him, although Rudiger Safranski wrote a very good book on Schopenhauer..  I find most people who talk down on this man haven't read him or only about him at best..He gives a darn original and interesting perspective on various matters. I really enjoyed reading him..

 

I agree with MagicCabbage, if you want something more difficult to follow than 'Critique of pure reason', try Heidegger ...for plain annoyance try Hegel :D 

post #3558 of 4487
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quinto View Post


Schopenhauer is so much more then the 'pessimist' people make of him.. If you ever get the urge, you really should try his main work, Die Welt als Wille und Vorstellung, which is by far his best work (which he finished before being 30!) compared to his other stuff or what others write about him, although Rudiger Safranski wrote a very good book on Schopenhauer..  I find most people who talk down on this man haven't read him or only about him at best..He gives a darn original and interesting perspective on various matters. I really enjoyed reading him..

 

I agree with MagicCabbage, if you want something more difficult to follow than 'Critique of pure reason', try Heidegger ...for plain annoyance try Hegel :D 

 

Indeed...his ideas on suffering and compassion are very interesting..

I surely will....

The book i read was mainly a compilation rather than a commentary...

 

I think Hegel can wait for me...he always reminds of a philosophy teacher i had at school who constantly mentioned Hegel 

(french love Hegel, germans love Kant). :rolleyes: 

 

The problem with those books is, that one needs to be in the right frame of mind to read them....rarely happens with me. Too tired or busy most of the time.


Edited by TheDreamthinker - 3/17/14 at 4:10pm
post #3559 of 4487

Hegel is not philosophy, it's a cult :p

 

I know what you mean, my frame of mind is music/composers and science these days.. (and some Nietzsche because the books were a unexpected bargain I couldn't let pass) :rolleyes:

 

Just ordered another 'Higgs Force' by Nicholas Mee (fasinating stuff!), since my dog used it as a toy :o

post #3560 of 4487
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quinto View Post
 

Hegel is not philosophy, it's a cult :p

 

I know what you mean, my frame of mind is music/composers and science these days.. (and some Nietzsche because the books were a unexpected bargain I couldn't let pass) :rolleyes:

 

Just ordered another 'Higgs Force' by Nicholas Mee (fasinating stuff!), since my dog used it as a toy :o

Science, now there is a subject that interests me. Have you any recommendations on what to read in science. The last great science book I read was "the Blind Watch maker" by Dawkings 

post #3561 of 4487
Quote:
Originally Posted by magiccabbage View Post
 

Science, now there is a subject that interests me. Have you any recommendations on what to read in science. The last great science book I read was "the Blind Watch maker" by Dawkings 


Dawkins is great..

 

Brian Greene wrote great books, The Elegant Universe is a great intro into string theory, his Parallel Universes is wonderful too..he reads like a thriller..

 

Higgs Force by Nicholas Mee goes somewhat deeper into the material but very good to follow for a non-English layman like myself..  The Black Hole War by Leonard Susskind is a great read as wis his Cosmic Landscape..  I bought some Stephen Jay Gould books lately and The Ancestors Tale by Dawkins ...but haven't got to them yet :tongue_smile: 

 

Science is so darn exciting, especially in our time and there are lots of great books out there..

 

O I forgot Laurence Krauss, "A Universe from Nothing" said to be a great book, I only read one chapter or so yet, stands high on my to read list, which is way to long :o

post #3562 of 4487
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quinto View Post
 


Dawkins is great..

 

Brian Greene wrote great books, The Elegant Universe is a great intro into string theory, his Parallel Universes is wonderful too..he reads like a thriller..

 

Higgs Force by Nicholas Mee goes somewhat deeper into the material but very good to follow for a non-English layman like myself..  The Black Hole War by Leonard Susskind is a great read as wis his Cosmic Landscape..  I bought some Stephen Jay Gould books lately and The Ancestors Tale by Dawkins ...but haven't got to them yet :tongue_smile: 

 

Science is so darn exciting, especially in our time and there are lots of great books out there..

 

O I forgot Laurence Krauss, "A Universe from Nothing" said to be a great book, I only read one chapter or so yet, stands high on my to read list, which is way to long :o

Brilliant thanks for the post, i will get each and every one of those for sure. 

 

I have mentioned this book before and will post it again because it really is exceptional. You should try and get your hands on it if you haven't read it. ¬

 

post #3563 of 4487
Quote:
Originally Posted by longbowbbs View Post
 

Shogun is a lifetime favorite. Incredible work. I though they did a good job on the mini series too. By far my favorite of Clavell's works.

+1

post #3564 of 4487
Quote:
Originally Posted by magiccabbage View Post
 

Brilliant thanks for the post, i will get each and every one of those for sure. 

 

I have mentioned this book before and will post it again because it really is exceptional. You should try and get your hands on it if you haven't read it. ¬

 


I'll give it a go, cheers :beerchug:

post #3565 of 4487
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hijodelbrx View Post
 

Shogun, by James Clavell.  For the 4th or 5th time in the past 40 yrs.  I've read all of Clavells books numerous times.  Shogun was his most ambitious and IMO his greatest.  Written in a time when books weren't written with an eye towards being adapted to TV or the Cinema.  Seems like so many books I read feel like movie scripts.  Anyhow, strongly recommend Shogun!!! 


I think I remember reading that a film version of Shogun was quite far advanced at one stage, before being abandoned.

post #3566 of 4487
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quinto View Post
 


I'll give it a go, cheers :beerchug:

sorry thats the wrong title its this

 

post #3567 of 4487

okidoki :regular_smile :


Edited by Quinto - 3/18/14 at 3:18am
post #3568 of 4487
Quote:
Originally Posted by magiccabbage View Post
 

sorry thats the wrong title its this

 

Wanted to say the exact same thing....high five..:D

 

I always wished i could be somebody like...

....but I now noticed that i am far too stupid for that kind of stuff...


Edited by TheDreamthinker - 3/18/14 at 5:45am
post #3569 of 4487
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDreamthinker View Post
 

Wanted to say the exact same thing....high five..:D

 

I always wished i could be somebody like...

....but I now noticed that i am far too stupid for that kind of stuff...

yea the word genius is not enough to describe his contribution, in fact the same thing goes for most of the mathematicians mentioned in the book. "Fermat's last theorem" is definitely my favorite non fiction. I have read it 3 times. 

post #3570 of 4487

I first became aware of Andrew Wiles and his work on the theorem with this documentary.

 

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Misc.-Category Forums › Members' Lounge (General Discussion) › What book are you reading right now?