or Connect
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Misc.-Category Forums › Members' Lounge (General Discussion) › What book are you reading right now?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

What book are you reading right now? - Page 223

post #3331 of 4442
Quote:
Originally Posted by wrathzombie View Post

Cover_IJ.jpg

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Got through a few pages and then did not want to continue. A little dense. Will revisit later. 

 

- Completed The Circle - Dave Eggers and now starting

 

post #3332 of 4442

infinite jest is on my list - supposedly brilliant. 

post #3333 of 4442

9200000011326215-zoomstede5

 

Finally I've come to read Darwin's briliant 'The Origin of Species'

 

 

I wanted to read it before my copy of Dawkin's 'The Ancestor's Tale' arrives

 

post #3334 of 4442
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quinto View Post
 

9200000011326215-zoomstede5

 

Finally I've come to read Darwin's briliant 'The Origin of Species'

 

 

I wanted to read it before my copy of Dawkin's 'The Ancestor's Tale' arrives

 

now that is some good reading! did you get to read the blind watchmaker yet? 

post #3335 of 4442
Quote:
Originally Posted by magiccabbage View Post
 

now that is some good reading! did you get to read the blind watchmaker yet? 


Haha no, but I will..I'm also reading in part 3 of De La Grange's Mahler biography, two books about Beethoven and just bought 'Richness of Life', by Jay Gould and the 7 book's set of Nietzsche's notes translated in Dutch, so..:blink:

 

:D 

post #3336 of 4442
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quinto View Post
 


Haha no, but I will..I'm also reading in part 3 of De La Grange's Mahler biography, two books about Beethoven and just bought 'Richness of Life', by Jay Gould and the 7 book's set of Nietzsche's notes translated in Dutch, so..:blink:

 

:D 

Heavy going! I loved the "Birth of tragedy" and "Beyond good and evil"  I have not read any philosophy since just after college. Let me know how the Mahler Biography goes i would be interested in that. Can you send a link? I tend to stay away from biographies because finding the right author can become a bit of a task at times. 

post #3337 of 4442

AppleMark

 

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Henry-Louis_de_La_Grange

 

This man spend his life researching and writing about Gustav Mahler and knew Alma and his daughter Anna personally..

His work is a bit dry since it's a huge chronology of facts and sources, but I like it!

 

Of course their are other great books of lesser volume like Natalie Lechner-Bauer's account of their friendship, Bruno Walter's book on Mahler or the book by Donald Mitchell

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Donald_Mitchell_%28writer%29

 

If you ever feel the need to read a great philosopher who has a very interesting view on music and art, read Schopenhauer's opus Magnum, Will and Representation.

I found it to be a great work of beauty (and don't believe the negative crap people write about his work :D

 

Rudiger Safranki wrote a great book about Schopenhauer (and Nietzsche)


Edited by Quinto - 12/4/13 at 2:25pm
post #3338 of 4442
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quinto View Post
 

AppleMark

 

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Henry-Louis_de_La_Grange

 

This man spend his life researching and writing about Gustav Mahler and knew Alma and his daughter Anna personally..

His work is a bit dry since it's a huge chronology of facts and sources, but I like it!

 

Of course their are other great books of lesser volume like Natalie Lechner-Bauer's account of their friendship, Bruno Walter's book on Mahler or the book by Donald Mitchell

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Donald_Mitchell_%28writer%29

 

If you ever feel the need to read a great philosopher who has a very interesting view on music and art, read Schopenhauer's opus Magnum, Will and Representation.

I found it to be a great work of beauty (and don't believe the negative crap people write about his work :D

 

Rudiger Safranki wrote a great book about Schopenhauer (and Nietzsche)

Thanks for posting, i will take your advice on Schopenhauer but i wont get to it till next year by the looks of things. 

post #3339 of 4442
Quote:
Originally Posted by magiccabbage View Post
 

Thanks for posting, i will take your advice on Schopenhauer but i wont get to it till next year by the looks of things. 

 

Keep in mind that Schopenhauer was anti-materialist and he was one who laughed at evolution theories. I'm absolutely fine with that world view.

 

Quote:
 Schopenhauer compared materialists to Baron von Munchhausen, who thought he could lift himself by his hair. The materialist thinks that he can use matter to explain representation, when matter itself is a representation.

 

Another important point: it is a must to read Schopenhauer prior to Nietzsche. Because the latter is just a mirror opposite of the former. When I read Nietzsche I immediately noticed that all his "philosophy" was based on argumentation against his former idol Schopenhauer. Schop taught that our nature ( Will) was a negative blind force - a Buddhist wheel of endless suffering - Samsara. Nietzsche revolted against that view ( by the way at the time of his physical collapse when he could no longer work). He started to affirm life in his writings ( but in real life he was pathetic - very ill and miserable). He took every point in Schop's ethics and argued against it.

 

Schopenhauer: life is a suffering, to save yourself from suffering you should stop affirming life, religions - Christianity, Hinduism and Buddhism - are examples of life rejection/renunciation; compassion and self-sacrifice are one of the most important expressions of a person who renounces life; Jews are optimists and life affirming - they are against a tragic figure of Jesus; Jesus is one the brightest examples of compassion and self-sacrifice. 

 

Nietzsche: life is what we have to affirm ( pagan pre-christian worldview) ---> will to power ( the apotheosis of affirmation of life), will to power is also an antidote to compassion - you don't feel pity to other people, you trump and outmatch other people, you feel superior; religions are evil because they teach how to reject life, those who criticize Jews on the basis of religion should be prosecuted ( Jews were against Jesus hence they are good); Jesus sucks. Very predictable, isn't it?

 

What is interesting is that Schopenhauer despite his ascetic philosophy was a person who enjoyed pleasures of life, while Nietzsche who in his writings affirmed life was in reality a very ill ( both mentally and physically) person who couldn't enjoy even basic pleasures like food, sex etc. 


Edited by mutabor - 12/8/13 at 3:02am
post #3340 of 4442

It would be a massive shame if anyone with the interest would be taken aback reading the works of these great German thinkers, just because of all the overly simplistic, stunningly judgemental and incomprehensibly confident opinions on the internet .

 

We all know what the saying is about opinions and the other thing ´everybody has´ :D 


Edited by Quinto - 12/8/13 at 8:10am
post #3341 of 4442

read books??????

 

i dont understand, books are just for buying and looking decorative on a shelf arent they?

 

 

 

 (i buy books but never actually seem to get around to reading them)

post #3342 of 4442
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quinto View Post
 

It would be a massive shame if anyone with the interest would be taken aback reading the works of these great German thinkers, just because of all the overly simplistic, stunningly judgemental and incomprehensibly confident opinions on the internet .

 

We all know what the saying is about opinions and the other thing ´everybody has´ :D 


Well said. I always believe that a good step one is to read a biography or several of the persons in question to ground oneself on the source of their wisdom. Philosophers, like every other living being are molded and motivated by the elements of their own lives.

post #3343 of 4442
Quote:
Originally Posted by mark2410 View Post
 

read books??????

 

i dont understand, books are just for buying and looking decorative on a shelf arent they?

 

 

 

 (i buy books but never actually seem to get around to reading them)


Books look so much better being read :wink_face:

post #3344 of 4442

 

Enjoying it thus far

post #3345 of 4442

AppleMark

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Misc.-Category Forums › Members' Lounge (General Discussion) › What book are you reading right now?