Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphone Amps (full-size) › HR Bithead vs. RS Hornet Which One?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

HR Bithead vs. RS Hornet Which One? - Page 2

post #16 of 159
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by PiccoloNamek
Well, I guess I have coal ears then, because I can never hear any of the various differences that you guys talk about between different pieces of equipment. I can't even tell the difference between my ER-4S amped and unamped. Not even a little. Personally, I think most people here fool themsevles in order to justify their massive expenditures, but I'm not going to start an argument about it.
I'd like to agree to this too. I had a Headroom Desktop Amp w/DAC hooked up to my MacBook Pro and I'd have to say built-in sound cards now a days aren't as bad as they use to be. I absolutely cannot tell the difference between amping the MacBook or using the DAC on the amp. Of course I can tell the difference when a signal is amped. I also run lossless files and honestly I just don't see a use for a DAC unless you really do have a crappy sound card.

Even if there is a difference, ignorance is bliss. I am not going to spend money on DAC's anymore because of this. I find that a good amp provides much better value for your money. I hate spending money and then realizing you can't tell the difference.

I'm pretty sure the BitHead is great for all those lousey sound cards on a lot of laptops but the MacBooks DAC is pretty damn good. However my computer at work is horrible and easily needs an external DAC.
post #17 of 159
Quote:
This tells me all I need to know about you.
No, it really doesn't. You've never met me, you know nothing about me. If you did, you would think I was the nicest damn guy on the planet.

I don't think you understood correctly. If I can't hear it, it effectively does not exist for me. This is actually an advantage in the end, because it serves as a partial immunization against upgraditis.
post #18 of 159
Quote:
edit: Head-Fi, will you please stop messing up the post order, damn you!
I know, what is with that? It happened to one of my posts just last night. I replied to someone only to find my post was two posts behind his.

Quote:
Right, but it does not mean others are fooling themselves into anything. It just means you would be.
What do you mean? I can't fool myself into not hearing differences. Ultimately, it is impossible to know who is being fooled, because everyone is sure that their subjective experience is valid, and it is impossible to hear it as they do.
post #19 of 159
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Romanee
No need to get overly confused or exasperated.
I was joking about the overly confused / exasperated part. If you scroll down on my post I had written something in small letters haha. I wasn't really mad
post #20 of 159
picolo, i think alot of people here are particularly sensitive, imo, to comments like yours where you say that you don't hear any sonic differences amongst the audio headphone/equipments. it is the differences that makes this forum run. its kinda like you going to a BMW forum and saying that all cars are the same...

but i have to say that your comments are just as helpful. its no different than saying the equipment is recessed on the mid, has deep bass, attack, imaging, decay, and all that other stuff... since everyone's hearing is different, i don't see why its ok when someone says the mids are good (or bad) but someone else saying they don't hear a difference is not...
post #21 of 159
Quote:
picolo, i think alot of people here are particularly sensitive, imo, to comments like yours where you say that you don't hear any sonic differences amongst the audio headphone/equipments. it is the differences that makes this forum run. its kinda like you going to a BMW forum and saying that all cars are the same...
If they're so sure, then why do they get so worked up?

And no, it is not like going into BMW forum and saying that all cars are the same. A car's performance, reliability, gas mileage, build quality, etc, are all things that can be easily and objectively measured and verified. I suppose you could measure the output of an amplifier, and I do believe there would be differences between them, whether or not they would be audible to the majority of people is another issue entirely, especially factoring in the naturally higher subjectivity that hearing is by its very nature subject to.

Quote:
i don't see why its ok when someone says the mids are good (or bad) but someone else saying they don't hear a difference is not...
It is because I made a claim that no difference exists because I can't hear it, and also because I accused them of fooling themselves. Just another result of me not being able to shut the hell up. This is my biggest weakness. In real life, I know when to keep my damn mouth shut, but online, I just develope the biggest case of foot-in-mouth disease ever.

Sorry guys, I didn't mean to be so abrasive.
post #22 of 159
Wow, this thread seriously got derailed!

Back to the OP, the Hornet is vastly superior although I have only owned the Total Airhead the difference with that amp was minor at the time. I was also a newb to the headphone audiophile world so my ears may not have picked up on differences that might be more apparent to me now.

As far as bang for buck the Hornet is tough to beat IMO and I have owned my fair share of portables.
post #23 of 159
well to me, if a car is something with 4 wheels and can roll forward and backwards, then my logic here justifies that all cars are the same to me and i could care less if its a rolls royce or a kia...

but since these things are subjective, i don't see a point in people's opinions being objectively defended... so i guess my point is if you don't hear anything, that's fine, doesn't mean i won't hear it... gather opinions from a large group of people, then make a purchasing decision. but to help you out, next time if you think you're being abrasive, just add the words 'i'm a newbie'... it'll solve everything!
post #24 of 159
But I'm not a newbie.
post #25 of 159
For what it's worth PiccoloNamek is hardly alone, although people rarely bother to voice such contrary opinions on a forum such as this, for obvious reasons.

Edit: However, I reserve claims that things are the same for such things as flac vs wav or high bitrate ogg vs high bitrate lame mp3, since those things can be easily "double" BTed with foobar2000, while no one is going to bother to do it with amps.
post #26 of 159
Quote:
Originally Posted by K2Grey
For what it's worth PiccoloNamek is hardly alone, although people rarely bother to voice such contrary opinions on a forum such as this, for obvious reasons.
Hehe.

http://redwing.hutman.net/%7Emreed/w...shtm/swarm.htm
post #27 of 159
Quote:
Originally Posted by volcomjerk
I'd like to agree to this too. I had a Headroom Desktop Amp w/DAC hooked up to my MacBook Pro and I'd have to say built-in sound cards now a days aren't as bad as they use to be. I absolutely cannot tell the difference between amping the MacBook or using the DAC on the amp. Of course I can tell the difference when a signal is amped. I also run lossless files and honestly I just don't see a use for a DAC unless you really do have a crappy sound card.

Even if there is a difference, ignorance is bliss. I am not going to spend money on DAC's anymore because of this. I find that a good amp provides much better value for your money. I hate spending money and then realizing you can't tell the difference.

I'm pretty sure the BitHead is great for all those lousey sound cards on a lot of laptops but the MacBooks DAC is pretty damn good. However my computer at work is horrible and easily needs an external DAC.
Really? Thats not good news. I just bought a bithead should be here in ... well today... and I have a powerbook. I have ETY ER-4Ss too. You actually have a much better setup with Etys and can't hear a difference? Crap.... thats a waste of $180. Well... I'll post my initial feelings when the package comes with my Powerbook.
post #28 of 159
I can hear a difference: no RF interference from my laptop's components!
post #29 of 159
So, Piccolo you have tried both amps?
post #30 of 159
Quote:
Originally Posted by PiccoloNamek
Well, I guess I have coal ears then, because I can never hear any of the various differences that you guys talk about between different pieces of equipment. I can't even tell the difference between my ER-4S amped and unamped. Not even a little.

Never mind. ;(

Be Happy! Makes your life much less complicated -- and less expensive. Lucky Thou Art!!!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphone Amps (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphone Amps (full-size) › HR Bithead vs. RS Hornet Which One?