or Connect
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Dedicated Source Components › Trying not to...but thinking about the Electrocompaniet ECD-1...
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Trying not to...but thinking about the Electrocompaniet ECD-1... - Page 2

post #16 of 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garbz
...I took an ECD-1 home for a weekend and it's just orgasmic.
Yeah, I pretty much love mine, too!

Regarding buying used (which I did), a DAC is not nearly as risky as a transport. Aside from the power, and perhaps a selector switch, there are no moving parts. Just about bomb-proof from a shipping standpoint. I can relate to concerns when it comes to shipping a transport, as they are way too fragile, it seems.

I have no CT trips in the near future, but I would be willing to accomodate an in-home audition if you wish.
post #17 of 29
I should've gotten closer up to that faceplate for more photos...it was oh so nice in person. I really regret missing your setup, but the R10/HE90 setup was like crack
post #18 of 29
If you use PC as a source, you could get one of Empirical audio USB off-ramps. I've read that they take care of jitter very, very well.
post #19 of 29
Thread Starter 
Wow, thanks everyone for all the suggestions. The more I read about it the more I feel that I would love the dac. More soundstage is never a bad thing when dealing with RS-1's, and a liquid midrange is what I'm addicted to. Hopefully with the ECD-1 and RS-1's and then either a Melos SHA Gold or Singlepower, the midrange will be something to hear indeed. Plus, that picture is stunning. I think it will be REALLY interesting to compare to the M-audio

The entire jitter argument I'm not too sure about. Sure, I believe in it; it is measurable. However, I'm using a $90 M-audio via a 6ft USB cable right now in the midst of a top of the line computer with 2 water pumps in it! And it doesn't sound half bad to me. I don't even know what jitter sounds like really. Somehow I have a feeling a $2000 device will deal with it quite well.

Voodoochile, your offer is most gracious. I'll shoot you a pm shortly.
post #20 of 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by Computerpro3
Wow, thanks everyone for all the suggestions. The more I read about it the more I feel that I would love the dac. More soundstage is never a bad thing when dealing with RS-1's, and a liquid midrange is what I'm addicted to. Hopefully with the ECD-1 and RS-1's and then either a Melos SHA Gold or Singlepower, the midrange will be something to hear indeed. Plus, that picture is stunning. I think it will be REALLY interesting to compare to the M-audio

The entire jitter argument I'm not too sure about. Sure, I believe in it; it is measurable. However, I'm using a $90 M-audio via a 6ft USB cable right now in the midst of a top of the line computer with 2 water pumps in it! And it doesn't sound half bad to me. I don't even know what jitter sounds like really. Somehow I have a feeling a $2000 device will deal with it quite well.

Voodoochile, your offer is most gracious. I'll shoot you a pm shortly.
Jitter wasn't the only thing, even the main thing that pushed me over to standalone players. You have a lot more options in the upper range with players vs. DACs. My choice was also made by the superior DVD playback (hardware video DACs) in a universal player vs a computer, even with ffdshow or whatever its called. But, for you a DAC could be just fine, and I haven't really explored all the jitter-reducing options out there.

I'm also waiting for someone to jump in and say overclocking and watercooling is detrimental to audio

Overclocking lost its fun when Xeons got lame...
post #21 of 29
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by mateo05
Jitter wasn't the only thing, even the main thing that pushed me over to standalone players. You have a lot more options in the upper range with players vs. DACs. My choice was also made by the superior DVD playback (hardware video DACs) in a universal player vs a computer, even with ffdshow or whatever its called. But, for you a DAC could be just fine, and I haven't really explored all the jitter-reducing options out there.

I'm also waiting for someone to jump in and say overclocking and watercooling is detrimental to audio

Overclocking lost its fun when Xeons got lame...
It's funny because I'm in the process of selling all my OC equipment to pour funds into audio. I used to be really hardcore, back in the 9700 pro days I held several world records. I also had the highest clocking 2.4C on air and water (3.89 and 4 ghz respectivley). It's not that much fun anymore though, and I lost interest in gaming as I am beginning to get older. I already sold a Chilly1 Modified Prometia Mach1 (-60C phase change cooler) and I'm selling my watercooling system based around a Cathar Silver Storm G5 (pure silver waterblock).

It's more fun having the money in something you use as opposed to look at.
post #22 of 29
Isn't the Benchmark bright and analytical? Where the EC-1 has more of a softer, musical sound?
post #23 of 29
I love my ECD1 as well!
For the reasons already mentioned in this thread. Great sound stage and dynamics, "airy" presentation, ...

Mine, with the Stax SRM-007t on top:
post #24 of 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by robm321
Isn't the Benchmark bright and analytical? Where the EC-1 has more of a softer, musical sound?
I think the Benchmark gives an accurate rendition of the digital data (which is the highest compliment you can pay to any digital audio equipment, in my opinion). If someone wants some kind of coloration to the sound they hear, I'm not sure the DAC is the best place to get it from (perhaps a tube amp, some slightly out-of-focus speakers, or, ideally, some DSP effect which can be toggled on- or off depending on the listener's preferences would be better).

Just my opinion!
post #25 of 29
Converse to the single box discussion, if you find a DAC you like you can use it to convert many sources and those sources will (overall) gain the signature of the DAC. Rather a mix-and-match, if you get me. It also allows you to upgrade transports or sources, or change out defective devices, while still maintaining the same system synergy (overall, that is).
post #26 of 29
Actually the only quirk I can think of with this is that it's wide! A few cm more than normal. I had quite some hassles finding equipment racks for my ECI-3 which both looked good and fit.
post #27 of 29
so what is the best way to get one of these new? as in cheapest and reliable

additionally, how does it compare with the stello DA220?
post #28 of 29
New is generally pretty hard. Electrocompaniet seem to dictate pricing quite a bit. A while ago I saw all Australian retailers I found sold them for the same price as my local one.

That said you may find someone selling it on the cheap. Maybe importing it from a forign country is the way to go.
post #29 of 29

Hi,

What is the best cheapest transport cd matching Electrocompaniet ECD1 DAC? Someone told me NAD C515 is the best deal for my DAC! Is that true?

I have ECD1+ECi-1 amp with Audiobyte Hydra -x  ( I sell it for 550Euros for Offramp 4 or 5) with Foobar/Kernel Streaming on my Asus laptop.

Thank you,

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Dedicated Source Components
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Dedicated Source Components › Trying not to...but thinking about the Electrocompaniet ECD-1...