- 341 Posts. Joined 1/2008
- Location: Boston
- Select All Posts By This User
Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- DarkVoice 336 vs. ASL MG Head OTL Mk III Last post on 8/13/10 at 8:17pm in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- Darkvoice 336 problems. Last post on 5/21/10 at 7:43am in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- Meier Corda Swing vs. darkvoice/figaro 336 Last post on 4/6/10 at 11:38pm in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- Darkvoice 336i & 336SE Tuberolling PartII Last post on 6/25/14 at 5:12am in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- Darkvoice/La Figaro 336c or the 332c, 332s Last post on 5/7/13 at 6:43pm in Headphone Amps (full-size)
Diy Beginners Guide
Last edited: 7/22/13
- Headphone ImpedanceLast edited: 8/18/12
I was provided a review sample and appreciate the generosity and opportunity to listen and review the Brainwavz S5. I've owned many Brainwavz earphones ranging from the Beta through the B2...
Got a good local deal on these as the are being replaced by the SoundTrue variant, which as far as I can tell, only adds a case and different colors. The Bose AE2 are a very lightweight...
RockJaw is an up and coming headphone company from Great Britain starting strong with a huge lineup. The Alfa Genus is one of their midrange offerings and offers a certain special something that is...
Bought the active noise cancelling version of these as a daily deal on Amazon for <$20. Active noise cancelling completely broken on both my original unit and the replacement - so on one hand...
Thanks to Oppo Digital Japan for allowing us to borrow the PM-1 and HA-1. Oppo coming out with a pair of headphones was quite a surprised, especially a pair of planars. Likewise the HA-1,...
- Headphone Impedance
Darkvoice 336 + 336i Tuberolling [ tubes ] - Page 97
Gear mentioned in this thread:
I wonder if that would help the new 332S owners that are experiencing hum?
La figaro revised the 332s, and the newer version has no hum at all. it took some time, but they fixed the hum issues.
Mine hums with almost all Russian tubes, with my 6F8G and with an RCA 6SN7GTB. Definitely want to do the Fitz mod. Just ordered a pair of Nichocon 35v/100uF "Fine Gold" capacitors off eBay.
(The 336SE is currently tubed with a 1960's Svetlana 6H13C and a Philco-branded Sylvania 6SN7GTB w/orange lettering. This combination is dead quiet and sounds wonderful: clean, detailed, balanced and dimensional.)
it's been a while since i was here. :P glad to see this thread is still going, going, and going...
right now my 336i has RCA JAN-CRC-6AS7-G and GE 6SN7 GTA. earlier it had 6H13C and Sylvania 6SN7 GT. really enjoyed 6H13C so when a chance presented itself i bought like 20 of them for about $2.5 apiece. :)
recently i 'accidentally' (if there was ever such a thing) bought a WA3+ from a fellow head-fier. having them side-by-side sure calls for a comparison: they both use 6AS7 (although a 5998 came as part of the WA3+ package) but WA3+ uses two 6922/6DJ8 at the front. i am still alternating among the growing number of amps. it is 'true' that 5998 shows more details and the sound is more clear/clean, but this is really not a better/worse comparision. it depends on your headphone of choice and the music you listen to.
no, i am not selling my 336i. :) meanwhile don't have funding for more tubes. :P instead of last year's one-set-up-a-week rotation i am adapting a longer listening period before rolling.
happy listening and tube rolling!
Edited by shiaokun - 7/28/10 at 4:17pm
i just bought my darkvoice 336se amp and i'm all ready looking to get some nos tubes, i don't really know where to start and looking at this 97 page forum makes my head spin lol. could somebody please recommend me some tubes. I'm not looking to break the bank but i could spend up to $50 on a tube
I would look in the "FS" forums here to see what tubes other head-fiers are selling. That might be easiest. What you want is one 6AS7G or 5998, and one 6SN7GT, -GTB, -GTA, or -WGT.
Cal, welcome to the 336 (i/se) tube-rolling thread. the great thing about the 336 is that it uses tubes that are easy to find and they are not expensive. of course if you want some fancy tubes there are out there...
on my 336i right now are two GE tubes: 6SNT GTB, 56-13, 188-5 and 6AS7 GA, 61-04, 188-5. the 6AS7 GA is a bit odd for me. this is the only 6AS7 in my collection that has a 6080 tube shape and not the usual 6AS7 bottle shape. any idea?
the sound is on the lean side. has a crispy feel. no hiss at all. :)
ended up spending three weeks with the GE 6AS7 GA. the first impression actually lasted. it's not exactly lean but just rather clean.
starting today: a Raytheon JAN6080WB. still the GE 6SNT GTB on the front.
the sound? the bass is clearly stronger. think this works better with Jazz/Rock/Blues.
- Darkvoice 336 + 336i Tuberolling [ tubes ]
- › Headamp Pico Power Impressions Thread 15 seconds ago
- › Soundmagic HP150 impressions thread. 28 seconds ago
- › Ranking of 21 DACs and DAC Configurations (and why chocolate ice... 1 minute ago
- › iBasso DX90. Dual Sabre, 1st page to reformat latest FW download &... 1 minute ago
- › T-PEOS Altone200 - 3 - Way - Hybrid introduction / impressions -... 1 minute ago
- › Sennheiser HD 700 Impressions Thread 1 minute ago
- › Suggestion for Sub 80 euro Over Ear Headphones for Rock Genre 1 minute ago
- › Speaker upgrade recommendation for FL and FR surround components. 2 minutes ago
- › The Best Bass Headphones are.. ( "The EXTREME BASS Club") 2 minutes ago
- › = HiFiMAN HE-560 Impressions & Discussion Thread = 3 minutes ago
- › Brainwavz S5 In Ear Headphones by DannyBai
- › Bose®AE2 audio headphones by Blinxat
- › ROCK JAW ALFA GENUS by Ishcabible
- › Phiaton PS 20 Half In-Ear Premium Earphone (Glossy Black) by DrikTheTroll
- › Oppo HA-1 Integrated Headphone DAC and Amplifier. by Currawong
- › JayBird BlueBuds X Sport Bluetooth Headphones - Midnight Black by wpfloridian
- › Yamaha PRO 500 by VanCitySound
- › Creative Sound Blaster Z Series ZXR (70SB151000000) Sound Card by Nada190
- › ASUS Essence STX II by raymond555
- › iFi Nano iDSD by elmura
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Gaming Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Exercise Headphones)