or Connect
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Westone ES2 (the underappreciated custom)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Westone ES2 (the underappreciated custom) - Page 3

post #31 of 200
Quote:
Originally Posted by wakeride74

sonic32 - I asked digihead the same thing and he told me that the UE10 is the clearer and more detailed of the two but it comes at a cost of warmth, bass impact and forward midrange/vocals which is where the ES2 really shines. If he doesn't respond here shoot him a PM he was a great help in my decision process.
Thanks for the info. What music do you think the ES2 is best suited? With the forward midrange and warmth, acoustic would probably be fantastic.
post #32 of 200
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonic32
Thanks for the info. What music do you think the ES2 is best suited? With the forward midrange and warmth, acoustic would probably be fantastic.
Well, vocals are really emphasized so anything with vocals They are probably happiest doing rock but I think they shine in all the genre's I've tried with the exception of some classical as they just lack the soundstage for proper presentation of that genre.

So far I've listened to:
Jazz
Hawaiian
20's Swing
Rock/Metal
Latin
Folk
Country
Bluegrass
Big Band
Classical
Rock/Pop
Ska
Electronica
and World

They sound fantastic with all but my opinions on classical stand.

Last night I made the mistake of plugging them into my PPX3 Slam... damn if they didn't really sound even better... very impressive combo, the synergy and sound was just plain bliss! Mikhail - can I get that in a portable?
post #33 of 200
Quote:
Originally Posted by wakeride74
...Last night I made the mistake of plugging them into my PPX3 Slam... damn if they didn't really sound even better... very impressive combo, the synergy and sound was just plain bliss! Mikhail - can I get that in a portable?

Oh my, oh my! How 'bout a balanced ES2 to pair with the PPX balanced?!?!?! I loved that amp at our last NYC meet.

BTW -- Westone will be shipping my ES2s back today or tomorrow, so I'll soon be able to get back to comparing the (fully "burned in") M-Hornet and Portaphile PV2^2-LT1210 Maxxed with the ES2, especially as regards soundstage, imaging and fine detail -- particularly with various types of classical music.
post #34 of 200
Thread Starter 
You should post that in the amps forum... I'm sure a lot of people would be interested in the differences but if you don't still PM me with your findings!
post #35 of 200
Eventually (fairly soon) I expect to write full, separate reviews of both amps, and ultimately a somewhat "objective" portables primer for newcomers, if I can manage to get review samples of some I haven't been able to hear yet.

I will post relevant comments, pertaining to my ES2's performance, in this thread (and PM you with other chit chat).
post #36 of 200

"M" Hornet - a brilliant match for ES2

Just got my ES2s back today, and after some brief comparisons between "M"-mod Hornet, Portaphile PV2^2-LT1210 and AE-1 -- the "M" Hornet (at Lo-gain setting) clearly has the best synergy with the ES2. I don't know if it's an impedance issue -- or something else -- but it's clear cut. I don't have an original Hornet to compare, but I suspect that although the bigger bass would be fun, the top end would be a bit too soft. The increased speed and punch, greater soundstage width and depth, HF extension and better ambience retrieval create a clean, clear, dynamic, and very open image with the ES2.

I still have to try the Portaphile with Low Gain setting, just to be sure (and to eliminate the High Gain hiss) -- but I heartily recommend the "M"-mod Hornet for the ES2.

From a more superficial standpoint, this is most fortuitous (...really great...) since the Hornet is the smallest (and prettiest) for portability.

BTW - for reference, this "M" Hornet now has close to 400 hours play on it.
post #37 of 200
I gave up using an amp with the ES2 (porta corda) in combination with an iAudio X5, what are you using?
Oh I gave up because it didn't do anything good for the sound, the USB version has some static on the line which our beloved ES2 pick up like it's a $100,- bill.
post #38 of 200
Thread Starter 
Thanks for the info Romanee! Now you've got me curious! Maybe you should send me your "M" Hornet so I can do some A/B

btw - are you going to the meet in April?
post #39 of 200
Quote:
Originally Posted by wakeride74
Thanks for the info Romanee! Now you've got me curious! Maybe you should send me your "M" Hornet so I can do some A/B

btw - are you going to the meet in April?
I hope to go, but can't say this far ahead.
post #40 of 200
Quote:
Originally Posted by arielext
I gave up using an amp with the ES2 (porta corda) in combination with an iAudio X5, what are you using?
Oh I gave up because it didn't do anything good for the sound, the USB version has some static on the line which our beloved ES2 pick up like it's a $100,- bill.
iPod 4G 40GB > ALO Cotton Dock (lineout dock) > "M" Hornet > ES2. Sweet, Clean and Energetic.
post #41 of 200
In transit to work via subway & walk, I was listening to Leon Russell's "Carney" album (on my iPod) -- and the "M" Hornet/ES2 had a really wide and deep soundstage -- extending well beyond my ears. Firstly, I didn't remember that ancient album had such great engineering, and secondly I was really surprised the ES2 was capable of so much dimension.

"Carney" is aptly named -- it's really an audible circus with voices and instruments jumping all around. The imaging was spooky at times, with piano way out left, voice front & center, some instruments in a corridor up right, way in the distance. Definitely an acid extravaganza.

The combo has really great bass. Buddy Guy's "Sweet Tea" disk: "Baby Please Don't Leave", was really kickin! Los Lobos "Colossal Head" tunes were also a-boomin'.

Y'all gotta hear the "M" Hornet with the ES2!
post #42 of 200
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Romanee
In transit to work via subway & walk, I was listening to Leon Russell's "Carney" album (on my iPod) -- and the "M" Hornet/ES2 had a really wide and deep soundstage -- extending well beyond my ears. Firstly, I didn't remember that ancient album had such great engineering, and secondly I was really surprised the ES2 was capable of so much dimension.

"Carney" is aptly named -- it's really an audible circus with voices and instruments jumping all around. The imaging was spooky at times, with piano way out left, voice front & center, some instruments in a corridor up right, way in the distance. Definitely an acid extravaganza.

The combo has really great bass. Buddy Guy's "Sweet Tea" disk: "Baby Please Don't Leave", was really kickin! Los Lobos "Colossal Head" tunes were also a-boomin'.

Y'all gotta hear the "M" Hornet with the ES2!
I'll have to wait until the meet (unless you want to send me yours ) Sounds like a killer combo but I am really loving the original Hornet with the ES2 so I just can't give in to the curiosity!

I was actually thinking about picking up an XP-7 too but I'm trying to curb my spending... though the XP-7 and ES2 or DT770 would make for a nice desktop alternative!
post #43 of 200

Any Hiss from iPod?

Is anyone using the ES2 straight from an iPod (I have a 5G)? Is there hiss?

I ask because I'm looking to enter the custom market from a Super.fi 5 pro. I love my SF5 sound but don't like the hiss. I had resorted for a time to using the attenuator to fix it, but that takes away from portability.

Thanks!
post #44 of 200
Quote:
Originally Posted by wakeride74
...I am really loving the original Hornet with the ES2 so I just can't give in to the curiosity!
If you're loving the original Hornet -- Don't be unfaithful! Don't Fool Around! Be Happy!

After all -- the original is so warm, close and -- how do you say, Très Intime -- no? Yes?

(pardon my lousy French)
post #45 of 200

ES2 And AE-1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Romanee
Just got my ES2s back today, and after some brief comparisons between "M"-mod Hornet, Portaphile PV2^2-LT1210 and AE-1
How does it sound with AE-1. I have AE-1 set to lo-gain and i am curious about ES2's performance ..
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Westone ES2 (the underappreciated custom)