Head-Fi.org › Forums › Summit-Fi (High-End Audio) › High-end Audio Forum › Grado RS-1 vs PS-1 vs GS1000
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Grado RS-1 vs PS-1 vs GS1000 - Page 4

post #46 of 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by NotoriousBIG_PJ

I know a few of people that loved the k1000, but ended up selling the can because they found they were only listening to their 'best recordings'..
Yeah, me included here..that and finding the amp that was the "miricle synergy" maker for these cans..never found "that amp" but wasted a lot of money in the process

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotoriousBIG_PJ
What they really meant was they were listening to their least sibilant recordings. I prefer to be able to enjoy all my recordings that weren't recorded hot.

Biggie.

I agree here..but then again, any hot recordings I listen to anymore, unfortunately, are on the car stereo...as critical listening sessions are not worth the headache, disappointment, or preperation spent with the cans..
post #47 of 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by Audiofiler
I agree here..but then again, any hot recordings I listen to anymore, unfortunately, are on the car stereo...as critical listening sessions are not worth the headache, disappointment, or preperation spent with the cans..
My mp3 player has been designated the hot recordings only player, with my trusty ksc35's obscuring the terrible clipping somewhat.

Biggie.
post #48 of 63

BDGS1 VS PS1

^ I don't listen to MP3 players anymore
post #49 of 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by NotoriousBIG_PJ
Those albums you are talking about are processed to sound that way. Kind of like the last 3 tool albums. Not a trace of sibilance anywhere.

Tell me why any recording should sound strident, when if that singer was standing beside you it wouldn't sound strident. You'll hear sibilance in their voice, but its natural, without an extra bite to it. Which is why the ps-1 is comes out ahead for me..
You are talking about two different things. "the person standing next to you singing" would have natural sibilance, which sounds very smooth and not harsh on the K-1000 or the PS-1, the equivalent of a good recording.

The bad recording is a digitally processed voice and will have a shrillness to the highs that are usually painful to hear. The K-1000s and most headphone/loudspeakers portray this eched harshness in the treble honestly. The PS-1's portray them as smooth and liquid. The PS-1's would be more enjoyeable for bad recordings, but I prefer the strong treble on the good ones. Different preferences I guess.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotoriousBIG_PJ
I know a few of people that loved the k1000, but ended up selling the can because they found they were only listening to their 'best recordings'. What they really meant was they were listening to their least sibilant recordings. I prefer to be able to enjoy all my recordings that weren't recorded hot.

Biggie.
I agree with this to a point. Not just "the best" recording, but any half decent recording sounds amazing on the K-1000. For the bad or harsh recordings, the K-1000 is not the best option. In fact the only headphones that don't display the harshness on bad recording that I've heard are the Senns with their rolled off treble, the PS-1s, and the RS-1s with flats (which eliminate most of the treble).

Harsh highs aren't only from sibilance, but from electric guitars, brutally harsh symbol crashes that sound like high frequency fuzz, etc. etc.
post #50 of 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by Audiofiler
I agree here..but then again, any hot recordings I listen to anymore, unfortunately, are on the car stereo...as critical listening sessions are not worth the headache, disappointment, or preperation spent with the cans..
My strategy as well. If it sounds bad, why magnify that badness with an uber detailed system

By the way thanks for the impressions audiofiler. I can agree about the characteristics that you metioned of the PS-1 and GS-1000 which I still have the stock cable on. I'm waiting for Drew @ Blue Moon Audio to burn in and give impressions on the Silver Dragon before I decide which recabling I want.
post #51 of 63
Thread Starter 
Maybe I'll have to hear the BDGS1 but for most of my collection, I prefer the smaller soundstage. This is the reason the RS-1 were now a clear winner over the GS1000 for rock.

We put on some Led Zeppelin first and yes it may have sounded most realistic in tone with GS1000, but everything was just too far away. It lacked energy and excitement. I put on the RS-1 and the guitar is right in my ear and very raw. You could feel him playing. The PS-1 is almost a cross between the two. The space opens up a bit more than the RS-1 and the instruments are not as raw but the excitement is not lost. The RS-1 works better for that pure energy but the PS-1 is better for the full range of rock and jazz. It like the audiophile version if the RS-1.
post #52 of 63
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by robm321
The PS-1's portray them as smooth and liquid. The PS-1's would be more enjoyeable for bad recordings, but I prefer the strong treble on the good ones. Different preferences I guess.
I thought you prefered the PS-1's treble for all the recordings, good or bad?

Although the PS-1 made bad recordings more enjoyable, there was still sibilance and harshness. It did not eliminate it. It's just with the GS1000, it was too harsh to enjoy. When the bad vocals kicked in, it ruined the song.

I don't know which one was more true to the song, I just know which one sounded better. For me, the GS1000 made a lot of my music unlistenable. I didn't have this problem with any of my previous headphones (see signature). There's the argument about needing higher-end equipment but you have to choose what sounds best in your setup. The GS1000 just seems to have more synergy problems than a lot of headphones.
post #53 of 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by iamdone
I thought you prefered the PS-1's treble for all the recordings, good or bad?

Although the PS-1 made bad recordings more enjoyable, there was still sibilance and harshness. It did not eliminate it. It's just with the GS1000, it was too harsh to enjoy. When the bad vocals kicked in, it ruined the song.

I don't know which one was more true to the song, I just know which one sounded better. For me, the GS1000 made a lot of my music unlistenable. I didn't have this problem with any of my previous headphones (see signature). There's the argument about needing higher-end equipment but you have to choose what sounds best in your setup. The GS1000 just seems to have more synergy problems than a lot of headphones.
My comment that you quoted was regarding the the K-1000 vs the PS-1 (not the GS-1000). I've never heard the harshness on the PS-1's compared to the GS-1000 and RS-1 (which were quite painful), but I did hear the sibilance on the PS-1, it was very smooth though and non grating. I did prefer the PS-1 treble to the GS-1000 and RS-1, but will not deny that it has an artificially smooth quality. Compared to most headphones I've heard, the K-1000 treble is my favorite overall aside from maybe a Stax system.

I agree with you - The GS-1000 is definately more picky than the RS-1 or PS-1 in component matching as is the K-1000.
post #54 of 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by yellafella321
are you ditching us berkeley'ers?

i'll have an mpx3 slam se in a week that I won't share with yoU!

When're you geting the BD done?
Absolutely not! All of you were part of the idea of getting a meet together, rather than just a few of us getting together.
post #55 of 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by iamdone
The RS-1 works better for that pure energy but the PS-1 is better for the full range of rock and jazz. It like the audiophile version if the RS-1.
I agree, and even thought this myself a few times.. the audiophile/pro series!

Anyway, in speaking to your Led Z comment...try and pick up the symphony orchestra Led Z CD, named Kashmir..it is a live disc.

That cd is wonderfully recorded, and contains some great passages for headphone monitoring.
post #56 of 63
robm321,

if you could make the meet happen,please shoot me an PM,i'd love to bring my k1000 for ya guys to listen and hear what you guys think.
post #57 of 63
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Audiofiler
I agree, and even thought this myself a few times.. the audiophile/pro series!

Anyway, in speaking to your Led Z comment...try and pick up the symphony orchestra Led Z CD, named Kashmir..it is a live disc. Hearing that selection from the PS1 to the BDGS1, it is amazing the differences. The BDGS1 breaths life, air, and extra detph, some say soul, into the recording, and when/where it is needed..where in the BDGS1, the space that occupies the music is much more vast VS the PS1 (and this people do dig, I agree) but after hearing the BDGS1 for awhile...and what it does at the peaks, climaxes, crescendos, etc..is amazing, and with no piers I have seen/heard. (this with respect to entire frequency range and even as compared to any other dynamic HP) With the PS-1's the sense of sound does not climb or become greater in the headstage, as the image is maxed out pretty much from the first chord.. I don't know if this is explaining much, but seems to be easier to hear with more complex pieces, live material, etc.

That cd is wonderfully recorded, and contains some great passages for headphone monitoring.
I completely understand what you're saying. I still think overall, the PS-1 is just better for most rock. Without the energy, none of the other aspects mean anything. That's why the RS-1 is even a better choice. It may not be as detailed and can be little rough but it moves you. It gives the feeling of a live performance.

The PS-1 is more like a studio performance. The sound quality is more refined and the setting in now moved to a small studio space. This brings out the produced quality of bands like Pink Floyd, Radiohead or Flamming Lips. Where you still need the energy but you don't need the raw, in-your-face sound. It also works better for slower acoustic music vs the RS-1. I found the GS1000 was also excellent at this.

Anyway, this is all very subjective. They great thing is, there are all these options available. You just have to find the one that's right for you. Looks like the BDGS1 is your choice, and the PS-1, mine. Hopefully others will find theirs. I justed wanted to be done with the whole upgrade process. At least I'm set on my headphone. Now people got me thinking of tube amps. It never ends.
post #58 of 63
double post
post #59 of 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by iamdone
Anyway, this is all very subjective. They great thing is, there are all these options available. You just have to find the one that's right for you. Looks like the BDGS1 is your choice, and the PS-1, mine. Hopefully others will find theirs. I justed wanted to be done with the whole upgrade process. At least I'm set on my headphone. Now people got me thinking of tube amps. It never ends.
Isn't that the truth!
post #60 of 63
Concise but very useful, thanks iamdone and robm321.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: High-end Audio Forum
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Summit-Fi (High-End Audio) › High-end Audio Forum › Grado RS-1 vs PS-1 vs GS1000