Head-Fi.org › Forums › Misc.-Category Forums › Members' Lounge (General Discussion) › The Newbie Sunglass Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The Newbie Sunglass Thread - Page 5

post #61 of 242
Ray Ban Wayfarers are where it's at man

Rock some those with grados. And you're in business.



my old pair with my new (to me) grados:

post #62 of 242
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevesurf
Bong, man where were you when this thread started Does that make 30 pairs of Oakleys yet? If so, they better start paying you a royalty instead of the other way around
Or he can do them a favour, and open up an Oakley Museum!
post #63 of 242
I had some regular Oakley straight jackets for the past 5 years or so. I really liked those. But I left them at school one day and....yeah...

So I searched for another brand to buy just for fun. And found Wiley X. I have been really happy with my polorized sun glasses.

http://www.wileyx.com/
post #64 of 242
Quote:
Originally Posted by JaGWiRE
If plainsong is a girl, she should model some of these glasses for us, err, I mean post pictures of them on her head.

Seriously though, I haven't had a chance to go and check any stores yet. I was by a sunglass hut today, but unforteuntly it was really packed and I couldn't even get a peak at what they had to offer from the Oakley selection.
I tried that once, and I'd really need someone to take the pic for me because I was trying to take a picture of myself, and it just didn't work. I didn't even look like me. Not.photogenic.

For me the whole Oakley seed was planted just out of HS. I was at the optician's, picking out sunglasses, and I was curious about what was in the metal display case, and he said I didn't want those, they were very expensive, and could only be Rx'd by sending it back to Oakley.

So why were those so special, and why were they not for the likes of me?

The same theme continued even once I moved here. "The only company that can Rx these curved lenses properly is really just Oakley, and it's too expensive." And they wouldn't even show you the display case!

Is that a sales techique Oakley teaches or something? So when I got contacts, I had to see for myself, and what I saw on that first day was more clear than any of my best perscription sunglasses. It was just clear.
post #65 of 242
After the suggestions that I asked for from this site, I bought a pair of Polarized Oakley Unknowns. I was a little unhappy about paying $160 for them, but after a week at the beach with them, it was absolutely worth it. I will never use unpolarized again, which is a bad thing for my wallet, but a good thing for my eyes
post #66 of 242
Quote:
Originally Posted by seanohue
After the suggestions that I asked for from this site, I bought a pair of Polarized Oakley Unknowns. I was a little unhappy about paying $160 for them, but after a week at the beach with them, it was absolutely worth it. I will never use unpolarized again, which is a bad thing for my wallet, but a good thing for my eyes
I paid a little bit less, 140, and I probably could have done better if I'd been more patient, but I juse love the unknowns and couldn't wait for better deals.

The matte black/black polarized? Yeah, those are sweeet. They're like monster dogs, only better suited to more faces, and more attention to detail in the design.
post #67 of 242
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by plainsong
I paid a little bit less, 140, and I probably could have done better if I'd been more patient, but I juse love the unknowns and couldn't wait for better deals.

The matte black/black polarized? Yeah, those are sweeet. They're like monster dogs, only better suited to more faces, and more attention to detail in the design.
What I don't understand is why so few people wear Oakley's (that I know in real life atleast.) My sister has some friends that are filthy rich (guys) with an awful attitude that they only should buy the most expensive, and even they are wearing some generic $5 ones.

I seriously am planning to look at a pair. I rarely lose things (except for pens and stuff), and if for $200 I'm going to get an amazing pair of sunglasses that will last me an while and give much clearer vision outside, then there is no way I'm going to buy some cheap crappy pair. Once again, I am seriously surprised by how many people think all oakley's are $300-400 and up, they have a lot of sunglasses for under $200.
post #68 of 242
Woops, double post.

To answer your question, sometimes there's just no knowledge of the brand, or if there is they can't separate the marketing hype from the truth, and just think it's all a bunch of hooey. We've seen it in this thread even. Even the-gagdeteer.com did a review of Foakleys. That's the first time they've ever reviewed a product that was a cheap ripoff of another product.

It's the same reason why these same rich idiots buy expensive ipods, then listen to them with ibuds.
post #69 of 242
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by plainsong
It's the same reason why these same rich idiots buy expensive ipods, then listen to them with ibuds.
So true. I can list bout 1000 of her friends that do that. Hell, I was talking about watches the other day and I was talking about how that Guess watch the kid was wearing (I believe it was guess) most likely doesn't have the best movement.

Seriously though, for some reason, even when you discuss something like a Rollex, people redflag in there mind they are all $30,000, and although they do have models like that, every store I've walked into that sold Rollex didn't have any that were over 3 thousand dollars, which was funny, because other brands like Breitling did.
post #70 of 242
Quote:
Originally Posted by JaGWiRE
So true. I can list bout 1000 of her friends that do that. Hell, I was talking about watches the other day and I was talking about how that Guess watch the kid was wearing (I believe it was guess) most likely doesn't have the best movement.
But then again, maybe they don't sit on the internet all day, reading about every product they want to purchase.
post #71 of 242
Vintage Revo's simply can't be beat in terms of lens quality and ability. Up until the mid to late 1990's, as plainsong alluded to, Revo was not owned by Luxottica and produced one of the world's finest pair of sunglasses. Their frames were made to precision in Japan and the lens, based on what the astronauts used in their spacesuit, was the only one on the market with the ability to eliminate 100% of all forms of UV light. (UVA, UVB, UVC, Shortwave Blue, and Infared) When Luxottica took over the frame production was moved to France, where quality suffered tremendously, and the demand to keep lens quality at the pinnacle unfortunately subsided. From this point on the Revo name slowly seperated itself from "top of the line".

Looking through the vintage lenses for the first time is like an epiphany; comparable with experiencing your first high end set of headphones/speakers and hearing new sounds in each song of your favorite album. It's as if someone lifts a veil off your eyes causing them to truly relax and absorb the extra fine detail that you've never seen before. I used to sell sunglasses between 93-95 and I would allow certain people to leave the mall and walk outside with the Revo's on. They would see the pricetag, typically between $225-350, and instantly be doubters. I'd ask for their driver's license and car keys, hand them the sunglasses, and then point towards the door. No exaggeration, 9 out of 10 times the individual would come back and purchase them. They really were that good. IMO this was all due to the quality a true glass lens has to offer. The polycarbonate stuff Oakley was using at the time just couldn't even begin to compete. It was much less resistant to scratching than the glass and was simply cloudy in clarity by comparison. The only two brands anywhere on the Revo radar were Maui Jim and Costa del Mar. Then Luxottica destroyed everything.

Nowadays the vintage styles really can't be found in too many places other than ebay. Sometimes I'll luck out and wander upon a left over selection at an outlet mall somewhere but for the most part they are gone. I encourage anyone that hasn't tried a pair to do so. They have retained their value extremely well over the years and mint examples of the more popular styles still fetch $135-200. I'd spill the names of a few of my favorites but I collect them and don't want to up my competition.
post #72 of 242
Quote:
Originally Posted by viator122
Does anyone have anything to say about Serengetti?
yeah me...i picked up a pair of polarized serengetti from costco for 80ish bucks...happy so far...i had oakleys in the past but they werent polarized.
yeah between the two i was wearing 5 dollar sportsman glasses from walmart..they sure were comfortable though
post #73 of 242
Quote:
Originally Posted by JaGWiRE
So true. I can list bout 1000 of her friends that do that. Hell, I was talking about watches the other day and I was talking about how that Guess watch the kid was wearing (I believe it was guess) most likely doesn't have the best movement.
You shouldn't be lecturing people on watches, you've just started researching them yourself less than a month ago, and most of the stuff you know now is from Wikipedia or Timezone. Besides if it works for them, why lecture them? It's their money, if it tells the time and looks decent, who cares, not everyone needs the name.

About sunglasses I use Spy Optics and I've been very satisfied. The lenses may not be up to par with Oakley, but they look good, fit well, and because they're only around $100, I don't mind wearing them while paddling, fishing. etc.
post #74 of 242
I was wondering what the time frame was, when the good stuff was still being made, thanks for cluing us in!

edit - FWIW, there are a few styles that can be found under the 100 dollar mark made by Oakley. And if you're wondering who wears them nowadays, I just noticed at the end of a nascar race (first time I've seen one of those televised here, I had to figure out what was up), every driver interviewed was wearing either valves, canteens, or gascans. Clever product placement agreements to be sure, but the right frame was picked for each face.


Quote:
Originally Posted by F1GTR
Vintage Revo's simply can't be beat in terms of lens quality and ability. Up until the mid to late 1990's, as plainsong alluded to, Revo was not owned by Luxottica and produced one of the world's finest pair of sunglasses. Their frames were made to precision in Japan and the lens, based on what the astronauts used in their spacesuit, was the only one on the market with the ability to eliminate 100% of all forms of UV light. (UVA, UVB, UVC, Shortwave Blue, and Infared) When Luxottica took over the frame production was moved to France, where quality suffered tremendously, and the demand to keep lens quality at the pinnacle unfortunately subsided. From this point on the Revo name slowly seperated itself from "top of the line".

Looking through the vintage lenses for the first time is like an epiphany; comparable with experiencing your first high end set of headphones/speakers and hearing new sounds in each song of your favorite album. It's as if someone lifts a veil off your eyes causing them to truly relax and absorb the extra fine detail that you've never seen before. I used to sell sunglasses between 93-95 and I would allow certain people to leave the mall and walk outside with the Revo's on. They would see the pricetag, typically between $225-350, and instantly be doubters. I'd ask for their driver's license and car keys, hand them the sunglasses, and then point towards the door. No exaggeration, 9 out of 10 times the individual would come back and purchase them. They really were that good. IMO this was all due to the quality a true glass lens has to offer. The polycarbonate stuff Oakley was using at the time just couldn't even begin to compete. It was much less resistant to scratching than the glass and was simply cloudy in clarity by comparison. The only two brands anywhere on the Revo radar were Maui Jim and Costa del Mar. Then Luxottica destroyed everything.

Nowadays the vintage styles really can't be found in too many places other than ebay. Sometimes I'll luck out and wander upon a left over selection at an outlet mall somewhere but for the most part they are gone. I encourage anyone that hasn't tried a pair to do so. They have retained their value extremely well over the years and mint examples of the more popular styles still fetch $135-200. I'd spill the names of a few of my favorites but I collect them and don't want to up my competition.
post #75 of 242
This thread came up at a good time. I had a pair of E-Wires which broke (well they were run over) and then I bought another pair of second gen E-wires, golden-brown frame with brown lenses but when my son was born in my sleep deprived state...I left them at a restaurant and have had a pair of generic crap every since. Well...I am ITCHING to get another pair of Oakleys, I've done my research in terms of lenses, talked with some opthalmologists (I used to intern with some really amazing ones) and basically came right back to Oakley.

I want an X-metal frame for sure, I was thinking Juliets but those Penny's look sweet! I jsut wish the frame was not grey. I have fair fair skin and and blonde hair and I find that the bronze/brown/gold frames work better for me. Regardless, I'm now interested in buying again!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Misc.-Category Forums › Members' Lounge (General Discussion) › The Newbie Sunglass Thread