Head-Fi.org › Forums › Misc.-Category Forums › Members' Lounge (General Discussion) › The Newbie Sunglass Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The Newbie Sunglass Thread - Page 4

post #46 of 242
Quote:
Originally Posted by warubozu
The lens rating is of my own opinion, I don't really care what online lens review has to say about Oakley over Maui Jims or vice versa. What really matters to me is that I own both and I know what best meets my optics standards. Those reviews you can take them with a grain of salt.
Well the review wasn't an online review, it was done by an Aviator magazine called Private Pilot, and they showed visually how each of the top lenses performed on a given optics test, so you could actually see it for yourself if you want to read it. There's pdf's of it around.

Of course any review is subjective, but it wasn't just some guy on epinions or something.

edit - I'd like to add though that it was in 2003, and I for one would like to see an update.
post #47 of 242
Does anyone have anything to say about Serengetti?
post #48 of 242
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vertigo-1
How do you like that case? I've been on the lookout for a sunglass case I could strap to my belt that doesn't look too huge or dorky for when I'm swapping between my glasses and sunglasses while out and about. I'm always a little weary of just hanging my Oakleys on my shirt...seems so easy for them to just slip out and fall on the ground or for me to scratch them by accident.
I forgot to answer your question. It's not a small case. It'll hold Juliets. I don't know how I feel about it. Certainly it's not as protective as the other vaults, but it has a durable shell. Just keep the glasses in their microfiber pouch while in the AP vault and it should be fine. On the one had it's big, but it does have that cool look. I use it for the Why 8.2s that I hardly ever wear. I wonder if the case will be useable with the O Pack 4.0 that I'm having mom send to me?
post #49 of 242
Quote:
Originally Posted by plainsong
It's easy to get heavy into the game, welcome to Team O.
Yes it is, after a set of Whys, Juliets, Romeos now I'm jonesing for a pair of these. Good luck with your choice!
post #50 of 242
Well I went to the mall yesterday to check out the offerings at Sunglass Hut, and even though I didn't plan on buying anything...haha, yeah right

The Oakley Square and Half Wire's, while they fit well, were just too incomfortable. I'm not a fan of the straight design after the hinges. However, I did become quite partial to a pair of Rayban Predators (RB 3190) and the Revo 3053. The Revo's had this awesome swept-up look that really fit my face well, but they were quite expensive. I ended up getting the Rayban's with the non-polarized lens. I decided I could always trade up to the nicer polarized lens if I really wanted to, and the guy gave me a good deal if that would be the case

Here's the obligitory pictures:



I think I'll buy these Revo's online in the future. My wallet now has another curse to support


edit: Sorry Plainsong, I don't think I was cut out to be a member of Team-O...
post #51 of 242
If you wear prescription glasses, I would reccomend trying out Transitions (photo-gray) lenses. I love mine.
post #52 of 242
Quote:
Originally Posted by sschell
If you wear prescription glasses, I would reccomend trying out Transitions (photo-gray) lenses. I love mine.
I have them too, but I find them sort-of useless when driving. The amount of UV reflected into the car, and thus into your glasses, is not enough to make the lens change color. Meanwhile, the amount of visible light is still blindingly glaring at you. On super-sunny days, the tint of the lens is also inadequate, leaving you squinting at everything.

Don't get me wrong, I like my transitions, but they have their downfalls.
post #53 of 242
Quote:
Originally Posted by plainsong
How about the Crosshair S? It's an aviator style, but smaller than the Crosshair. They don't completely eat your face like the Crosshair does.

But if you want small, how about the wiretap or something like that?

Bong? You're the wires expert.
oops... i'm late, sorry!

Oakley has a lot of smaller fitting frames, well... i find them smaller fitting because of this big melon of mine.

i find Half Wires fit narrow, as well as Hatchet Wire. Crosshair S is narrower fitting than the regular Crosshair, and has a smaller lens orbital; unfortunatley it doesn't have a lot of colour choices at the moment. a lot of other Wires can fit small heads, but being that they're Wires they can me adjusted to fit. a lot of their O-Matter plastic frames are also narrow fitting, like Minute, Fives 3.0, even the ever popular Half Jacket.

hehe... i just got myself a new pair of Oakleys yesterday, a pair of Titanium/Titanium Iridium Polarized Whisker.
post #54 of 242
Quote:
Originally Posted by bong
oops... i'm late, sorry!

Oakley has a lot of smaller fitting frames, well... i find them smaller fitting because of this big melon of mine.

i find Half Wires fit narrow, as well as Hatchet Wire. Crosshair S is narrower fitting than the regular Crosshair, and has a smaller lens orbital; unfortunatley it doesn't have a lot of colour choices at the moment. a lot of other Wires can fit small heads, but being that they're Wires they can me adjusted to fit. a lot of their O-Matter plastic frames are also narrow fitting, like Minute, Fives 3.0, even the ever popular Half Jacket.

hehe... i just got myself a new pair of Oakleys yesterday, a pair of Titanium/Titanium Iridium Polarized Whisker.
It's just that ti polarized is soooooo nice. I was actually looking at those Whiskers as well until I saw someone was selling the BTO bottlecaps. Looking at their store, they sell those kind of custom jobbies and lenses and such, so I lucked out and they were actually new.

Thaddy, ewww, Rayban, a hex on you and your offspring!
post #55 of 242
Quote:
Originally Posted by plainson
Thaddy, ewww, Rayban, a hex on you and your offspring!
Pssh, you're just an Oakley fanboy. Er...fangirl. I'll be big pimpin' when I get those Revo's though, and there's nothing you can do about it. It's science
post #56 of 242
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thaddy
Pssh, you're just an Oakley fanboy. Er...fangirl. I'll be big pimpin' when I get those Revo's though, and there's nothing you can do about it. It's science
If plainsong is a girl, she should model some of these glasses for us, err, I mean post pictures of them on her head.

Seriously though, I haven't had a chance to go and check any stores yet. I was by a sunglass hut today, but unforteuntly it was really packed and I couldn't even get a peak at what they had to offer from the Oakley selection.
post #57 of 242
Quote:
Originally Posted by JaGWiRE
If plainsong is a girl, she should model some of these glasses for us, err, I mean post pictures of them on her head.
Now now, let's keep those hormones under control!
post #58 of 242
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thaddy
Now now, let's keep those hormones under control!
I'm 13, you should know yourself they are flying around. My testosterone levels are through the sky, if I could control them, I would .
post #59 of 242
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thaddy
Now now, let's keep those hormones under control!
rofl! qft
post #60 of 242
Quote:
Originally Posted by bong
oops... i'm late, sorry! ...
hehe... i just got myself a new pair of Oakleys yesterday, a pair of Titanium/Titanium Iridium Polarized Whisker.
Bong, man where were you when this thread started Does that make 30 pairs of Oakleys yet? If so, they better start paying you a royalty instead of the other way around
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Misc.-Category Forums › Members' Lounge (General Discussion) › The Newbie Sunglass Thread