Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Roll Call for Team AKG
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Roll Call for Team AKG - Page 69

post #1021 of 1305

K514, K430, K404 :(

 

Planning on gettin' the Tiesto K167 next....

post #1022 of 1305

Good to know. I don't know why the K141 are not more popular. They are quite portable and look nice. And most importantly sound good!

post #1023 of 1305

Am happy with the Q701s at the moment. So musical.

post #1024 of 1305

*

post #1025 of 1305

AKG Annie coming in two weeks time :biggrin: Tried the K550 and was nothing but impressed by it. Definitely one my favorite closed headphone after all! Not a fan of K167's bass but still pretty much appreciate it's mids and highs xD 

post #1026 of 1305

Just unboxed my brand new K141, so I welcome myself to the club. 

 

Feeling a bit mixed about these now. Could be my audio interface has a bit too high output impedance, since there is way too much upper bass, and the treble is even more rolled off.

 

They sound a bit muddy. Need to try with other sources too, though.

post #1027 of 1305
Quote:
Originally Posted by Headzone View Post

Just unboxed my brand new K141, so I welcome myself to the club. 

Feeling a bit mixed about these now. Could be my audio interface has a bit too high output impedance, since there is way too much upper bass, and the treble is even more rolled off.

They sound a bit muddy. Need to try with other sources too, though.

That could be it. My experience with the K240 which has a similar if not the same drivers is that they like a good amount of power and the higher quality the amp and source the better. I would give them a good 10-40 hours of burn-in as well to help open their sound up as AKGs in my experience need a good amount of use to sound how they should.

I would give them a week or so and trying them on various different sources.
post #1028 of 1305
Quote:
Originally Posted by kman1211 View Post


That could be it. My experience with the K240 which has a similar if not the same drivers is that they like a good amount of power and the higher quality the amp and source the better. I would give them a good 10-40 hours of burn-in as well to help open their sound up as AKGs in my experience need a good amount of use to sound how they should.

I would give them a week or so and trying them on various different sources.

Already tried them on my iPod, they sound very different from it compared to my audio interface. The highs are still lacking some sparkle, but I think i'm too used for how my studio monitors and DT48 sound, they're not even in the same class.

 

I have to read further what amps people recommend with the 55ohm K240, so I can get some reference about that too.

post #1029 of 1305
Quote:
Originally Posted by Headzone View Post

Already tried them on my iPod, they sound very different from it compared to my audio interface. The highs are still lacking some sparkle, but I think i'm too used for how my studio monitors and DT48 sound, they're not even in the same class.

I have to read further what amps people recommend with the 55ohm K240, so I can get some reference about that too.

The K240 family isn't really known for sparkly highs, although the K271 probably has sparkly highs, haven't heard them though. The K240 is brighter than the K141 from what I read, but it does roll off after the 10khz spike in the treble. The K240 is on the thicker and warmer side, seems like the K141 is as well, maybe more so.

I've had pretty good luck with amping the K240, not near as fickle as the K7xx series is with amping. When I compare the K240 and MA900 to my K612; it's obvious the K612 is in a higher class.
post #1030 of 1305

K612 sounds like it could be my next headphone. I just tried bidding on a pair of K601 from ebay, but lost the auction. 

 

The K142HD doesn't have anywhere near the micro detail of my better equipment. But I bought them just for the bass, and to use them with electronic music. They sound pretty good for that. I like that the treble is unoffensive. 

 

Compared to the K240M 600ohm (from memory) the K142, have slightly less bass, though better controlled, quite similar highs and better mids. Take that with a grain of salt though


Edited by Headzone - 10/24/13 at 10:43am
post #1031 of 1305
Quote:
Originally Posted by Headzone View Post
 

K612 sounds like it could be my next headphone. I just tried bidding on a pair of K601 from ebay, but lost the auction. 

 

The K142HD doesn't have anywhere near the micro detail of my better equipment. But I bought them just for the bass, and to use them with electronic music. They sound pretty good for that. I like that the treble is unoffensive. 

 

Compared to the K240M 600ohm (from memory) the K142, have slightly less bass, though better controlled, quite similar highs and better mids. Take that with a grain of salt though


It's a good headphone, very neutral and also very musical, I don't notice any recesses or spikes anywhere, probably some emphasis on the bass and warmth, but to me that's pretty much what neutral is. The K612 has a fuller and thicker bass and a somewhat wider soundstage than the K601 from what I've been told by a friend who owns both. The treble is unoffensive on the K612, sibilance comes off in a natural manner, what you pretty much expect in real life and it will reveal harsh tracks but won't necessarily thrash your ears, it's forgiving yet revealing at the same time. I do notice more detail on the K612, but the biggest difference I notice though is the depth, weight, transparency, accuracy, and refinement of the sound compared to my other headphones, it gives it a much more realistic and convincing sound. I pair all of my headphones with the Hifiman EF2A(with stock tubes, turned out quite good after a long burn-in), so the impressions are from a hybrid tube amp. The DAC is the Asus Xonar DX soundcard and I use a Zu Audio Mission silver-plated copper cable as the interconnect I got for a good deal(made quite a noticeable difference surprisingly, it is clearly audible).

post #1032 of 1305

Q701 and 550 here!  :k701smile:

post #1033 of 1305

I'll try on getting the K601, I've been wanting to hear it for a long time. Though if I get enough money I might venture into orthos/electrostats next. Too many headphones out there that I want to try :|

post #1034 of 1305
Quote:
Originally Posted by Headzone View Post
 

I'll try on getting the K601, I've been wanting to hear it for a long time. Though if I get enough money I might venture into orthos/electrostats next. Too many headphones out there that I want to try :|

Haha... First Audiophile World problem I guess? xD 

 

BTW, why not the K612?

post #1035 of 1305

I think i'm going to try to get K601 used, then will sell it on if I don't like it. 

 

Can't afford the K612 at the moment really, though they might suit me better. We'll see, we'll see.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Roll Call for Team AKG