Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphone Amps (full-size) › Go-Vibe 5: WTF!Mate?!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Go-Vibe 5: WTF!Mate?! - Page 2

post #16 of 536
Quote:
Originally Posted by fewtch
P.S. Norm's been in & out of the amp business how many times now? Bit of indecision there, Norm?
It looked as though Norm suffered from the popularity of his amps and couldn't keep up with the demand. He was also selling the Go-Vibe slightly cheap.

I'm glad to see you back Norm.

Ian
post #17 of 536
Quote:
Originally Posted by fewtch
It looks like Norm's using a specific opamp, and apparently no rolling this time around. IMO that seriously limits the appeal of the Go-Vibe... one of the main attractions (IMO) was the ability to roll opamps at such a low price point. I for one will not be buying it, nor recommending/disrecommending it to anyone.

P.S. Norm's been in & out of the amp business how many times now? Bit of indecision there, Norm?
1. The good bipolar op-amps such as the LM6172/6171 are not realistic candidates for "rolling". They require a tight layout with careful attention to bypassing/DC offset etc.
Designing a headphone amp around a particular op-amp potentially maximises the potential of a particular chip IMO.

2. My decision to leave the amp business in early February this year was due in a large part to both my parents becomming seriously ill within a one week time period. Mom subsequently passed away in April and Dad is now confined to a nursing home.
Those of you who have lost a parent/parents will perhaps understand. Those of you who are fortunate to have your parents still around should be thankful for them on a daily basis.
post #18 of 536
Is it possible to have the V5 housed in those metal cases that the V3 & 4 uses?

I've a V3, possible to use a LM6172 in it?
post #19 of 536
Quote:
Originally Posted by tigger
2. My decision to leave the amp business in early February this year was due in a large part to both my parents becomming seriously ill within a one week time period. Mom subsequently passed away in April and Dad is now confined to a nursing home.
Those of you who have lost a parent/parents will perhaps understand. Those of you who are fortunate to have your parents still around should be thankful for them on a daily basis.
Ouch... sorry to hear that, Norm... I didn't know. At the time, you stated "too many orders" or something like that as the reason for getting out, basically it didn't make much sense to me at the time (i.e. why not just cut back on the number you were making?) but certainly does if you had a reason why it all became 'too much'.

I should actually be more grateful for my parents (neither of whom are spring chickens anymore)... in fact I was thinking about visiting them in Ohio this fall, and reading your message made up my mind -- I am going for sure.
post #20 of 536
Sorry to hear about your Mom, Norm, Please accept my deepest sympathies.
I'm very happy with my go vibe version 2, it sounds much better than a Cmoy with some upgraded components. I know it has more bass than the cmoy, even with the lower value caps.
post #21 of 536
Great job tigger, I am a candidate for soon owning a Go-Vibe 5. I appreciate the choice of optimising the amp for one (and great sounding by itself) chip.
post #22 of 536
I had to dig around a bit to find the GoVibe website, so I thought I'd post it here to save others the trouble. Maybe you ought to put a link in your paid post Norm.

http://www.go-vibe-headphoneamp.com/

Glad to see you back in businees, Norm. And my good thoughts go out to you. My folks are nearing the end of their stay here on earth. It's definately a time when your relationship with your folks intensifies; opportunities for both love and irritation abound. Peace be with us.
post #23 of 536
Quote:
Originally Posted by tigger
1. The good bipolar op-amps such as the LM6172/6171 are not realistic candidates for "rolling". They require a tight layout with careful attention to bypassing/DC offset etc.
Designing a headphone amp around a particular op-amp potentially maximises the potential of a particular chip IMO.

2. My decision to leave the amp business in early February this year was due in a large part to both my parents becomming seriously ill within a one week time period. Mom subsequently passed away in April and Dad is now confined to a nursing home.
Those of you who have lost a parent/parents will perhaps understand. Those of you who are fortunate to have your parents still around should be thankful for them on a daily basis.
Sorry to heard that. Hope that everything is fine now and smooth.

By the way i really hate myself selling the Headsave classic... i miss it alot.... Can you make a Go-vibe with OPA627?? i would love to have one
post #24 of 536
Quote:
Originally Posted by nakedtoes
By the way i really hate myself selling the Headsave classic... i miss it alot.... Can you make a Go-vibe with OPA627?? i would love to have one
Can't be done man (well at least not simply), it's a single-9v design.
post #25 of 536
Sad.. by the way anyone hear the LM6172/6171 comparing with the OPA627??
post #26 of 536
Quote:
Originally Posted by afbug
Is it possible to have the V5 housed in those metal cases that the V3 & 4 uses?

I've a V3, possible to use a LM6172 in it?
I dunno why anyone would want to use that same metal case, it's a huge pain in the @ss, and I'm glade to see it's been changed. Why do I think it's a pain in the @ss? You have to use some sort of glue dot or poster sticky so the battery doesn't rattle around against the caps, trying to change the battery is a huge pain (got to carry a small screw driver around) I've been trying to find thumb screws but can't find direct replacements to the stock aluminum screws.

But it's a small inconvenience for such a great amp Hopefully I'll be able to purchase a V5 soon.
post #27 of 536
The latest version if i am not wrong could be charge using the external adapter.. if it is i would like a metal case
post #28 of 536
Quote:
Originally Posted by c0mfortably_numb
I dunno why anyone would want to use that same metal case, it's a huge pain in the @ss, and I'm glade to see it's been changed. Why do I think it's a pain in the @ss? You have to use some sort of glue dot or poster sticky so the battery doesn't rattle around against the caps, trying to change the battery is a huge pain (got to carry a small screw driver around) I've been trying to find thumb screws but can't find direct replacements to the stock aluminum screws.

But it's a small inconvenience for such a great amp Hopefully I'll be able to purchase a V5 soon.
Personal preference? You like a change while I prefer the metal ones.

Thanks Tyll for the link.
post #29 of 536
Quote:
Originally Posted by nakedtoes
The latest version if i am not wrong could be charge using the external adapter.. if it is i would like a metal case
I believe that DC Jack is for external power only, no charge circuit, just as it was on the Version 4 that I have
post #30 of 536
This is great news for head-fiers on a budget. Norm makes a sturdy and sweet sounding product- my first generation classic is still going strong 2+ years on.

Glad to see you're back in the business, Norm.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphone Amps (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphone Amps (full-size) › Go-Vibe 5: WTF!Mate?!