Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Dedicated Source Components › SACD: Is it worth it?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

SACD: Is it worth it? - Page 8

post #106 of 153
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigshot
Argumentativeness is counter productive. We could drift around with each reply being less and less related to the ones that came before until the whole discussion becomes irrelevant, but what's the point of that? I recommend that you try your hardest to enjoy every second of your life. If you can do that, you won't be so aggrivated and perhaps your discussions with others who may not think exactly the same as you do will become more focused.

See ya
Steve

Sorry, but the only reason this drifted is because you can't stick to the discussion and address relevant points. I'm not asking anyone to think like me (and am always open to learning something new), but at least try to give some constructive counterarguments rather than essentially just stating, "It is so, becuase that's all I know." I'm actually not aggravated at all. If you knew what I do for a living, you would realize that this is simply a diversion from real aggravation. I just think you are moron, which, if anything, is entertaining. Ok, moron is a bit overstated... I just think that for someone who seems to care about the truth, it would serve you well to realize that their might be more to truth than what you know.
post #107 of 153
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sleestack
If you knew what I do for a living, you would realize that this is simply a diversion from real aggravation.

Your a deep fried twinky chef?

My experience of sacd is very limited. But I had real difficulty tracking down SACD discs when I owned a sacd player. Even if I could find them the selection was not very good for my taste's and if they did have what I wanted it was always like double the price of the CD version.
post #108 of 153
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoRedwings19
Your a deep fried twinky chef?
Yes, and I'm working on the technique for Devil Dogs, but they keep coming apart.
post #109 of 153
What happened to the SACD discussion?
post #110 of 153
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpelg
What happened to the SACD discussion?
Sorry.

From what I'm reading SACD isn't going to make it much longer. Not great news given my recent purchase of the P-03/D-03, but fortunately, it does its job as a Redbook player too.
post #111 of 153
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sleestack
Sorry.

From what I'm reading SACD isn't going to make it much longer. Not great news given my recent purchase of the P-03/D-03, but fortunately, it does its job as a Redbook player too.

How do you find a very good sacd recording and very good redbook recording comapres on your system? When I had a half decent sacd/redbook player I felt the sacd replay was better than redbook.

But then when I changed sources that redbook equalled the sacd replay. Do you think it is more of a recording issue rather than the source?
post #112 of 153
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoRedwings19
How do you find a very good sacd recording and very good redbook recording comapres on your system? When I had a half decent sacd/redbook player I felt the sacd replay was better than redbook.

But then when I changed sources that redbook equalled the sacd replay. Do you think it is more of a recording issue rather than the source?
I really feel that given material that was recorded/mastered well, the differences in the 2 formats can be elusive. Nevertheless, it seems that most SACDs I have are mastered well, whereas most CDs I have suffer from excessive compression.
post #113 of 153
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sleestack
my...P-03/D-03...does its job as a Redbook player too.
Even if SACD production ceases completely tomorrow, there is still a generous hi-rez library out there from which to potentially find good content.

Whether that library matches one's personal tastes is often the primary reason for dismissing SACD. For me, I am happy to listen to well-done recordings regardless of format. My personal experience has been that SACD's increase that likelyhood, and the breadth of my own music collection has expanded greatly with the pursuit of SACD's. There are very few genre's that I am unwilling to explore, and well-recorded music is a sure-fire way to get me hooked. It doesn't matter if it was done today or ten or more years ago.

Of course, I think the key to being truly happy with an SACD or Universal player is to make sure it has good Redbook playback as well. Unfortunately, this is where the cheaper players fail miserably.
Quote:
I really feel that given material that was recorded/mastered well, the differences in the 2 formats can be elusive. Nevertheless, it seems that most SACDs I have are mastered well, whereas most CDs I have suffer from excessive compression.
I agree on both counts.
post #114 of 153
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sleestack
I really feel that given material that was recorded/mastered well, the differences in the 2 formats can be elusive. Nevertheless, it seems that most SACDs I have are mastered well, whereas most CDs I have suffer from excessive compression.

I can relate to this. Like rock albums. they always sound so bad some of them. It's like the album cowboys from hell by pantera, personally I like it but the recording is terrible.

Although I didn't think very highly of the dark side of the moon sacd recording. Maybe you can hear the major difference but I just couldn't major about it.
post #115 of 153
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoRedwings19
I can relate to this. Like rock albums. they always sound so bad some of them. It's like the album cowboys from hell by pantera, personally I like it but the recording is terrible.

Although I didn't think very highly of the dark side of the moon sacd recording. Maybe you can hear the major difference but I just couldn't major about it.
Rock albums are deifitely a huge problem. There are a few notable expcetions (Steely Dan, Porcupine Tree Dire Straits), but it is frustrating to listen to great music blemished by poor mastering.

With SACDs v. CDs, it is hard to tell if it is a case of mastering or format b/c on the same disc they will put 2 recordings mastered differently. I do know that the 2 layer and Redbook layer of Norah Jone's Come Away with me are identically mastered... and they both sound like junk (but not the music).
The one thing I do notice is that on SACDs, cymbals seem to sound more lifelike. Again, it could be mastering, but it seems consistent across recordings.
post #116 of 153
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sleestack
Rock albums are deifitely a huge problem. There are a few notable expcetions (Steely Dan, Porcupine Tree Dire Straits), but it is frustrating to listen to great music blemished by poor mastering.

With SACDs v. CDs, it is hard to tell if it is a case of mastering or format b/c on the same disc they will put 2 recordings mastered differently. I do know that the 2 layer and Redbook layer of Norah Jone's Come Away with me are identically mastered... and they both sound like junk (but not the music).
The one thing I do notice is that on SACDs, cymbals seem to sound more lifelike. Again, it could be mastering, but it seems consistent across recordings.

While I find the differences between two good mastering recordings more difficult to tell seperately from, I do find that the SACD recording or session has just that touch more ambience/airiness. Whether this a placebo or I am just imagining it I can't say for sure.

I do find that it is just that little bit more ambient/airy but it is that bit above.
post #117 of 153
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpelg
Even if SACD production ceases completely tomorrow, there is still a generous hi-rez library out there from which to potentially find good content.

Whether that library matches one's personal tastes is often the primary reason for dismissing SACD. For me, I am happy to listen to well-done recordings regardless of format. My personal experience has been that SACD's increase that likelyhood, and the breadth of my own music collection has expanded greatly with the pursuit of SACD's. There are very few genre's that I am unwilling to explore, and well-recorded music is a sure-fire way to get me hooked. It doesn't matter if it was done today or ten or more years ago.
Although I listen to everything, most of my SACDs are jazz or blues, which is just fine by me. Given that there are thousands of SACDs available, hundreds of which I want and have yet to buy, I have no problem living with the fact that I may soon be choosing from a limited library. I also occasionally enjoy some of thhe more creatively mixed multichannel recordings.

The average consumer equates SACD to 5.1. It will be interesting to see what high res. aduio formats develop with HD video via HDMI.
post #118 of 153
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpelg
My personal experience has been that SACD's increase that likelyhood, and the breadth of my own music collection has expanded greatly with the pursuit of SACD's. There are very few genre's that I am unwilling to explore, and well-recorded music is a sure-fire way to get me hooked. It doesn't matter if it was done today or ten or more years ago.
I found this is the case with me as well. Never in a million years would I buy a title such as "River in Sorrow" if it wasn't a direct-to-DSD recording on SACD.....I am now hooked on traditional Chinese music.
post #119 of 153
Quote:
Originally Posted by soundboy
I found this is the case with me as well. Never in a million years would I buy a title such as "River in Sorrow" if it wasn't a direct-to-DSD recording on SACD.....I am now hooked on traditional Chinese music.
That is one thing my library does not contain. Direct to DSD recordings. Is there a list anywhere?
post #120 of 153
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sleestack
That is one thing my library does not contain. Direct to DSD recordings. Is there a list anywhere?
Click on this link to all direct-to-DSD recordings (the ones that we know of). There are some direct-to-DSD recordings out there that aren't released on SACD or aren't mentioned in the liner notes.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Dedicated Source Components
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Dedicated Source Components › SACD: Is it worth it?