Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Audio-Technica ATH-CM700Ti
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Audio-Technica ATH-CM700Ti

post #1 of 19
Thread Starter 
post #2 of 19
hows the bass?

and OMG they cheaped out on the plug. My CM7Ti has a titanium coated plug.
post #3 of 19
This is a phase called the "Sony" phase. Many companies go through this phase.

So how's the sound?
post #4 of 19
my aluminum cm7's have a pretty hefty plug
post #5 of 19
It looks like a budget version of the CM7ti (that costs more). The stats look the same except for a difference in frequency response:

CM7Ti 10 - 45,000Hz
CM700Ti 10 - 24,000Hz

CM7ti can also shorten it's cord for use with remotes (with nice titanium coated connectors.)
post #6 of 19
have you had the chance to compare them to the CM7Ti yet Elphas?
post #7 of 19
Thread Starter 
I'll spend a bit more time with the CM700Ti before posting impressions. I do think they're a bit better than the EC7, but both aren't great-sounding. They seem to do OK with pop music, but are not as suitable for other types of music such as classical or jazz. With these earbuds, the deeper they fit into your ears the better the sound, especially bass.

I've only heard a demo pair of CM7, not the CM7Ti. I also listened to a demo EC700, and wasn't too impressed with it.

I was told the CM700Ti sounds a bit better than the EC700Ti, which I was also interested in. Both supposedly have a different sound than the previous EC7 and CM7 series.
post #8 of 19
Thread Starter 
The CM700Ti is now my primary set of earbuds, and I no longer use the EC7. I think the CM700Ti sounds better, comfort is about equal and it fits securely in my ears so there is really no need for the clips. As much as I liked the EC7, the clips made storage more problematic and always became tangled with the cords.

The CM700Ti is easier to store. The included pouch has two divided sections inside to slide each earbud into. This keeps each earbud separate and reduces the chance of scratches.

As for sound, the difference with the EC7 isn't large. The CM700Ti is a bit clearer and has a bit better treble extension. There's slightly more bass quantity. Again, the differences aren't very large to me and other factors such as fit, size and shape of the outer ear canal, environmental sound level and type of foamie used could also affect the sound.
post #9 of 19
Currently here in Tokyo, Shinjuku on business and what do I do upon checking into the hotel? I went to Yodobashi Camera and checked out the AT's ATH-CM700 and ATH-CM700Ti for my iPod. Comparing those two, I found that the Ti seems to be a little brighter in sound (clearer) with an equal amount of bass as the regular (non-Ti). The Ti buds are lighter as well.

Currently using the Senns MX-400 buds and the AT seems to be better than those Senns buds. Of course, this isn't a fair comparison, the price difference is HUGE. MX-400 stands its own in comparison with other similarly priced buds. The ATH-CM700Ti though, is a lot more detailed. I'm surprised as the details it is pumping through.

In the end, I purchased the ATH-CM700Ti. The difference in price is only 3000 JPYs. Not much and I'm here in Japan, might as well get the best of the breed. So, in about 2 hours after touchdown, I'm now the owner of a pair of ATH-CM700Ti.

So far, I'm pleased with my purchase. We'll see if that impression holds after an extended session.
post #10 of 19
Thread Starter 
I think the CM700Ti can sound very good for an earbud, especially if the fit is good.

If you can, you might try the CM700Ti with a full-size home system.

True, they're intended for portable use and that's how I use them, but I've found the sound improvement when using them at home to be surprisingly large.

With a home system, I prefer the CM700Ti over the Shure E500. It has more air, a larger soundstage and better details and clarity. Bass quantity is less, though bass details are very good.

With a portable rig, iPod, line out dock and RSA Hornet or Tomahawk, I prefer the E500. A lot depends on the environmental sound level, though. The CM700Ti's lower isolation means a quieter environment is desirable.
post #11 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by sionghchan View Post
Currently here in Tokyo, Shinjuku on business and what do I do upon checking into the hotel? I went to Yodobashi Camera and checked out the AT's ATH-CM700 and ATH-CM700Ti for my iPod.
Did you try out the CK9 series while you were there? Yodobashi should have them out on display so you can try your own source with them.

Damn, now I'm kind of curious about these CM700. I have the CK7 which I use a lot for portable use but they are so hard to fit in my ears (worse than my Etys). How would you guys characterize the sound relative to the CK7?
post #12 of 19
Unfortunately, I didn't try the IEMs. I just tried ear phones. I wasn't really looking for IEMs. In the end, I bought what I thought to be the best earphones in the entire shop. If I have the time, I'll go check out the CK9s for you before I leave Japan.

Cheers!
SH
post #13 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by sionghchan View Post
Currently using the Senns MX-400 buds and the AT seems to be better than those Senns buds. Of course, this isn't a fair comparison, the price difference is HUGE. MX-400 stands its own in comparison with other similarly priced buds. The ATH-CM700Ti though, is a lot more detailed. I'm surprised as the details it is pumping through.
I found the MX400/500 series to be a better overall sound than any of the CM series earbuds (CM5, CM7, CM7Ti) that and you're paying for basically a really really really heavy earbud. IMHO the extra cost is only worth it if you really really really like bling.

That said, MDR-E888 trounces the CM7ti - lighter and more comfortable and cheaper by a fair margin.

Tho each to their own of course.
post #14 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by PooJou View Post
I found the MX400/500 series to be a better overall sound than any of the CM series earbuds (CM5, CM7, CM7Ti) that and you're paying for basically a really really really heavy earbud. IMHO the extra cost is only worth it if you really really really like bling.

That said, MDR-E888 trounces the CM7ti - lighter and more comfortable and cheaper by a fair margin.

Tho each to their own of course.
Hmmm...compared to the ATH-CM700Ti, the Senn MX400 seems to be a little light on bass. Also, definitely less detailed (not that the ATH is that GREAT as it is nothing compared to my DT880).

Ergonimically though, the ATH is better where the jack is straight (very much like the iPod stock buds) so, works very well with the iPod cases. the MX400's right angled jack doesn't work as well.
post #15 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by sionghchan View Post
Unfortunately, I didn't try the IEMs. I just tried ear phones. I wasn't really looking for IEMs. In the end, I bought what I thought to be the best earphones in the entire shop. If I have the time, I'll go check out the CK9s for you before I leave Japan.
yes, please let us know how the ck9s are! i've been interested in them for a long time but just haven't had the chance to try them.

i agree with elephas about the AT buds. they really do need amplification to perform their best. out of an ipod, my ec700ti sound alright. i wouldn't say any better than maybe e888 but connected to my aria, they come alive. being earbuds, they were designed for portable use but realistically i think that they're better used at home or with a portable amp.

i've heard the mx400/500 before. for their price, they're great performers but compared to the cm700ti or ec700ti, they don't come close.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Audio-Technica ATH-CM700Ti