Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › K1000 news
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

K1000 news

post #1 of 22
Thread Starter 
Interesting news from AKG.

So I recently recabled my K1000 (did a damn fine job at it if I do say so myself). I was comparing them to a friend's Stefan Art hardwire K1000 and we noticed a decided shift in tonal balance. His had significantly more treble emphasis than mine (a little more detail and impact as well).

So I thought 2 things...cable and age? I tried re-recabling them and got a little more treble but not like my friend's. So off to AKG they go because I thought maybe I ****ed something up in the recable (unlikely as I was very careful, but possible).

Well, the AKG rep told me that I did a fine job.....so good, he was very impressed, especially since he's received a rash of K1000 driver repairs due to botched cable replacement recently......Hmmm, I wonder why?

He was a bit interested in my issue of less pronounced treble and more bass as well so he contacted the Tech Support folks. He found out that AKG changed the voicing of the headphone drivers at one point. My headphones are early (Serial number 2,XXX) and have less emphasis on treble and leaned more toward bass. The newer AKG K1000 has a slightly different driver that is pushed up to the treble a bit more (my friend's K1000 is in the 10,XXX-11,XXX range).

So there are two different drivers for the K1000. He offered to let me buy a pair of the new drivers, but he didn't know the price, so I have an e-mail in to the right person regarding that...but I'm not sure I want to change the drivers.....Couldn't hurt to have a spare pair lying around...or even rewired and ready to place on the headband!

Anyway, I thought you folks would find that interesting....

So I think some silver wire and a Pass amp will help flesh out some of that treble and detail....the repair guy said to turn up the treble on my power amp....EQ!!!!! MY GOOD MAN, I AM NO ANIMAL!
post #2 of 22
Actually, I've heard that the drivers changed before. I believe they were changed fairly early on, though, as my 7xxx pair sounds the same as the 10xxx (I think? Maybe 11?) pair I've heard. Anyway, I think you should keep your old drivers and trade them for someone else's pair if you're unhappy with them, honestly. A lot of people complain about the K1000's lack of bass and "harshness," so perhaps while you'd prefer the newer sounding ones, they'd prefer the older sounding ones. You should look into that possibility rather than just blowing your money. the drivers are $300 apiece.
post #3 of 22
Thread Starter 
Well, new drivers would be a luxury not a necessity. I just found it interesting. When I heard a different sound (drastically really) I thought maybe my drivers were going (old age and such) or maybe I damaged the voice coil or something else....so it was really to confirm that they're functionaing properly.

I actually like them, so there's no problem there.
post #4 of 22
Thats good, the K1000 I just got is 11.
post #5 of 22
I experimented some with my broken K1000. I tried silver voice coil (Solar Wind) and different diaphragm sizes (I wasn't able to put back the diaphragm correctly). I wrapped it tight with scotch tape and bass disappeared. I poked a hole at the edge of the diaphragm and bass was boomy. In the end I prefered the stock K1000.
I had a plan to try separate diaphragm sizes for bass, mids and highs, but I don't think it works good. The stock K1000 is already good enough and comfortable.




Looks pretty doesn't it?
post #6 of 22
Ok I just have to ask, am I the only one who feels that more treble is the last thing the K1000 needs?
post #7 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Todd S
Ok I just have to ask, am I the only one who feels that more treble is the last thing the K1000 needs?
Smooth treble sounds very good. Harsh treble sounds painful.
post #8 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick82
I experimented some with my broken K1000. I tried silver voice coil (Solar Wind) and different diaphragm sizes (I wasn't able to put back the diaphragm correctly). I wrapped it tight with scotch tape and bass disappeared. I poked a hole at the edge of the diaphragm and bass was boomy. In the end I prefered the stock K1000.
I had a plan to try separate diaphragm sizes for bass, mids and highs, but I don't think it works good. The stock K1000 is already good enough and comfortable.




Looks pretty doesn't it?
Oh my god! You should be tarred and feathered for doing that to a K1000!
post #9 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick82
Smooth treble sounds very good. Harsh treble sounds painful.
???
Tell me something I don't know. He said "significantly more treble emphasis". Nothing about smoother or harsher treble. The K1K has great treble detail. The last thing I need with this can is more treble. Thus my question. I don't recall ever ever hearing someone complain about the treble with the K1K. Bass is usually the complaint with these.
post #10 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Todd S
???
Tell me something I don't know. He said "significantly more treble emphasis". Nothing about smoother or harsher treble. The K1K has great treble detail. The last thing I need with this can is more treble. Thus my question. I don't recall ever ever hearing someone complain about the treble with the K1K. Bass is usually the complaint with these.
It's either the PCB that is different, or the size of the diaphragm that is smaller which emphasizes the highs, hence my pictures.

I rather have the K1000 as it is now, I don't want to trade detail for deeper bass. AKG could make a "Bass Edition" with bigger drivers for people that want it, it would solve the sibilance problem pretty good.
post #11 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meyvn
the drivers are $300 apiece.
Depends on where you are living.
One of my K1000s was recently refurbished by AKG Germany.
New drivers,a new cable ,the labor and the handling/shipping did cost 276.17 Euros (~ $350).
The drivers themselves did cost 210 Euros (~ $270) including our ridiculous 16 % VAT (soon to be 19 % due to my greedy government).Means $135 a piece.
post #12 of 22
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick82
It's either the PCB that is different, or the size of the diaphragm that is smaller which emphasizes the highs, hence my pictures.
Actually I was told two things changed: 1) the drivers were altered for more treble response and less bass and 2) the film over the drivers...that diaphragm was changed as well...made thinner is some areas.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick82
I rather have the K1000 as it is now, I don't want to trade detail for deeper bass. AKG could make a "Bass Edition" with bigger drivers for people that want it, it would solve the sibilance problem pretty good.
Considering that the are out of production, that seems unlikely.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Todd S
???
Tell me something I don't know. He said "significantly more treble emphasis". Nothing about smoother or harsher treble. The K1K has great treble detail. The last thing I need with this can is more treble. Thus my question.
I didn't go into detail because it was a breif listen...although it was very apparent that the tonal balance between the two headphones was different. The older model doesn't have nearly as much treble....so much so that it is quite obvious after a short listen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Todd
I don't recall ever ever hearing someone complain about the treble with the K1K. Bass is usually the complaint with these.
That's why I posted this information. Some folks might be more inclined to try to find an earlier serial number if they liked the K1000 but really wanted more bass.....plus I think it's interesting bit of info for the hobby....these drivers changed over the course of production and intentionally so.


That's all.....
post #13 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick82
I experimented some with my broken K1000. I tried silver voice coil (Solar Wind) and different diaphragm sizes (I wasn't able to put back the diaphragm correctly). I wrapped it tight with scotch tape and bass disappeared. I poked a hole at the edge of the diaphragm and bass was boomy. In the end I prefered the stock K1000.
I had a plan to try separate diaphragm sizes for bass, mids and highs, but I don't think it works good. The stock K1000 is already good enough and comfortable.


Looks pretty doesn't it?
Not exactly.
Lets say your approach to the K1000s is without any doubt unique.
post #14 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick82
It's either the PCB that is different, or the size of the diaphragm that is smaller which emphasizes the highs, hence my pictures.

I rather have the K1000 as it is now, I don't want to trade detail for deeper bass. AKG could make a "Bass Edition" with bigger drivers for people that want it, it would solve the sibilance problem pretty good.
This is of interest to me. I've heard 2 different K1Ks. 1 of them on 3 different amps & I never had a problem with treble extension. Honestly I didn't realize the drivers were changed at some point. I will be able to try them balanced on a GS-X soon. I believe I will have a better frame of reference then.
Thanks for the info.
post #15 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by thrice
I didn't go into detail because it was a breif listen...although it was very apparent that the tonal balance between the two headphones was different. The older model doesn't have nearly as much treble....so much so that it is quite obvious after a short listen.

That's why I posted this information. Some folks might be more inclined to try to find an earlier serial number if they liked the K1000 but really wanted more bass.....plus I think it's interesting bit of info for the hobby....these drivers changed over the course of production and intentionally so.

That's all.....
Thanks for the follow up. I had no idea where you were coming from in you previous post. Completely threw me for a loop. That is very interesting. Would you (or anyone) happen to know around what serial # the drivers were changed?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › K1000 news