- 1,456 Posts. Joined 6/2006
- Location: univ toronto st george
- Select All Posts By This User
Related Forum Threads
- USB vs Optical vs Coaxial (w/ converter) for Mac w/ Grant Fidelity TubeDAC-11 Last post on 6/6/12 at 11:11pm in Dedicated Source Components
- digital v dedicated source component... Last post on 7/19/10 at 1:09pm in Dedicated Source Components
- random irresponsible impression of SD Transporter Last post on 7/23/10 at 11:45am in Dedicated Source Components
- ART Legato and BNC to RCA: impedance matching-related question Last post on 6/3/13 at 7:13am in Dedicated Source Components
- Best-sounding source for amp/speakers? Last post on 8/28/12 at 5:17pm in Dedicated Source Components
DIY Cable Info and Resources
Last edited: 10/2/13
- Hi End CablesLast edited: 1/8/12
I said DON'T TALK !!
i never usually write reviews, but when i do, its usually with underrated earphones/headphones, because i think they do deserve some justice. just a background, i own headphones like brainwavz,...
Rather than go into the esoteric aspects of the sound signature (not really sure if all the nomenclature actually means the same thing to everyone) I'm going to approach this review from a little...
Got a good local deal on these as the are being replaced by the SoundTrue variant, which as far as I can tell, only adds a case and different colors. The Bose AE2 are a very lightweight...
RockJaw is an up and coming headphone company from Great Britain starting strong with a huge lineup. The Alfa Genus is one of their midrange offerings and offers a certain special something that is...
- Hi End Cables
I2S vs spdif
Head-Fi's Best Sellers
The S/PDIF standard provides information about how and what. It specifies +/-0.5V, a 75ohm line, stupidly an RCA connector, and how the data is sorted.
I2S has no specs for data and connections since it has no exclusive purpose in audio; I2S is also used by microcontrollers to program filters, or managed HDCD decoders. It does however spec things like MSB first, and that the MSB should arrive 1 clock beat after the L/R clock changes, and finish one clock beat before it changes again.
What would be idea is to have a new standard (did I just say another one?) on top of I2S which has specifications for interconnects between audio connectors like DIN etc.
Yes I2S is a lot better then S/PDIF since it has several discrete data lines and clock lines. All the problems of S/PDIF could be solved if it is terminated correctly and if it did not multiplex the data and clock lines for transmission.
I know its an old thread, but I found it, looking for advantages of disadvantages of I2S. For the reason, that Kingwa of audio-gd suggested to me, to replace the spdif input of my Reference 9 DAC with a I2S - input. This would allow me to connect it to the Digital Interface DI-DSP and to transfer 192K (whereas the spdif-input of the RE9 is limited to 96K).
So I was looking around in order to know, whether this is a good idea. So it sounds like I2S promises to be the better solution...
- I2S vs spdif
Head-Fi's Best Sellers
- › Is the time of high priced IEM's coming to an end? 49 seconds ago
- › "Colouration" of a DAP's sound - How does it work? 1 minute ago
- › Forza AudioWorks - The Appreciation Thread 1 minute ago
- › C&C BH Portable Headphone Amp (80 Hours from a Single Charge!)... 1 minute ago
- › Bottlehead Amplifier Discussion / Comparison Thread: Crack, SEX &... 2 minutes ago
- › The NEW Headphone Lounge Thread 2 minutes ago
- › Review: RHA MA-750 (one of the best sub $200 IEM's around) 3 minutes ago
- › 「Official」Asian Anime, Manga, and Music Lounge 3 minutes ago
- › Official 2014 LA Head-Fi Meet, August 9, 2014, Marriott Warner Center 3 minutes ago
- › Soundmagic HP150 impressions thread. 4 minutes ago
- › Westone Elite Series ES60 by Lorias
- › Philips SHL5905BK/28 CitiScape Uptown by emanlee
- › Brainwavz S5 In Ear Headphones by shockdoc
- › Bose®AE2 audio headphones by Blinxat
- › ROCK JAW ALFA GENUS by Ishcabible
- › Phiaton PS 20 Half In-Ear Premium Earphone (Glossy Black) by DrikTheTroll
- › Oppo HA-1 Integrated Headphone DAC and Amplifier. by Currawong
- › JayBird BlueBuds X Sport Bluetooth Headphones - Midnight Black by wpfloridian
- › Yamaha PRO 500 by VanCitySound
- › Creative Sound Blaster Z Series ZXR (70SB151000000) Sound Card by Nada190
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Gaming Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Exercise Headphones)