- 1,458 Posts. Joined 6/2006
- Location: univ toronto st george
- Select All Posts By This User
Related Forum Threads
- USB vs Optical vs Coaxial (w/ converter) for Mac w/ Grant Fidelity TubeDAC-11 Last post on 6/6/12 at 11:11pm in Dedicated Source Components
- digital v dedicated source component... Last post on 7/19/10 at 1:09pm in Dedicated Source Components
- random irresponsible impression of SD Transporter Last post on 7/23/10 at 11:45am in Dedicated Source Components
- ART Legato and BNC to RCA: impedance matching-related question Last post on 6/3/13 at 7:13am in Dedicated Source Components
- Best-sounding source for amp/speakers? Last post on 8/28/12 at 5:17pm in Dedicated Source Components
Head-Fi Buying Guide (Cables & Accessories)
Last edited: 11/29/16
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Desktop Amps & DACs)Last edited: 12/6/16
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Desktop Amps & DACs) 2Last edited: 12/16/16
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Portable Amps, DACs, & DAPs) (page 2)Last edited: 11/29/16
- Hi End CablesLast edited: 1/8/12
INTRODUCTION: Paw Gold is a high resolution music player from the brand Lotoo, that is part of the Beijing Infomedia Electronic Technology Co Ltd. It sports an industrial looking outer body...
Too much dirt and sibilance at 5.5-6.5KHz. Also they are not so murderous about bass as many people suggest. Characteristics (subjective, 10 max): Resolution:...
Preamble: Etymotic Research, founded in 1983 in the USA by Mead Killion (http://www.etymotic.com/about-us/interview-with-mead), a man that I highly respect, is widely...
It’s been a year since I started writing/filming reviews, and it all began with the ZMF Vibro Mk. I in cornflower blue. I found the sound very fun, found the bass ports interesting and thought they...
Accutone Pisces HD Review: Everything The Pisces Should Have Been This is another entry into my Accutone IEM marathon. For those of you who aren’t familiar with Accutone, they are a Chinese...
I2S vs spdifpost #1 of 47/8/06 at 7:49pmThread StarterIs i2s that much better than spdif? If it is how come so few dacs have i2s?
Head-Fi's Best Sellerspost #2 of 47/8/06 at 10:50pmI2S is not a standard for transmitting data, it is a standard for serial transmission much like 24bit Least Significant Bit First, or the opposite 24bit MSB first.
The S/PDIF standard provides information about how and what. It specifies +/-0.5V, a 75ohm line, stupidly an RCA connector, and how the data is sorted.
I2S has no specs for data and connections since it has no exclusive purpose in audio; I2S is also used by microcontrollers to program filters, or managed HDCD decoders. It does however spec things like MSB first, and that the MSB should arrive 1 clock beat after the L/R clock changes, and finish one clock beat before it changes again.
What would be idea is to have a new standard (did I just say another one?) on top of I2S which has specifications for interconnects between audio connectors like DIN etc.
Yes I2S is a lot better then S/PDIF since it has several discrete data lines and clock lines. All the problems of S/PDIF could be solved if it is terminated correctly and if it did not multiplex the data and clock lines for transmission.post #3 of 47/9/06 at 1:14amGrabz pretty much hit the nail on the head. It's the native interface of DACs which isnt modulated like spdif and keeps the clock and data signals discrete for significantly less jitter.post #4 of 46/8/12 at 3:18am
I know its an old thread, but I found it, looking for advantages of disadvantages of I2S. For the reason, that Kingwa of audio-gd suggested to me, to replace the spdif input of my Reference 9 DAC with a I2S - input. This would allow me to connect it to the Digital Interface DI-DSP and to transfer 192K (whereas the spdif-input of the RE9 is limited to 96K).
So I was looking around in order to know, whether this is a good idea. So it sounds like I2S promises to be the better solution...
- I2S vs spdif
Head-Fi's Best Sellers
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Desktop Amps & DACs)
- › 2017 UK Head-Fi Meet (April 2nd @ Milton Keynes) 17 seconds ago
- › Fiio X5 3rd gen || 2x AKM 4490 || Balanced Out || DSD || DXD | DTS... 3 minutes ago
- › Pioneer XDP-300R | Twin DAC ES9018K2M | Balanced Out | Android |... 5 minutes ago
- › Earbuds Round-Up 5 minutes ago
- › Geek Pulse: Geek desktop DAC/AMP by Light Harmonics 6 minutes ago
- › Cypherus Audio Products Discussion Thread: CampFred Earbuds, QFred... 8 minutes ago
- › balanced armature junkies 8 minutes ago
- › Wich tube amp between : valhalla 2, darkvoices 336, LD mkII, la... 8 minutes ago
- › Chord Electronics - Blu Mk. 2 - The Official Thread 8 minutes ago
- › Singxer SU-1 Owners 9 minutes ago
- › Superlux HD 681 by IkuMiku96
- › Lotoo Paw Gold by EagleWings
- › JVC HA-FX101 by PETEBULL
- › Etymotic ER4XR by HiFiChris
- › ZMF Headphones Eikon by Aornic
- › Accutone Pisces HD by Cinder
- › Beyerdynamic DT 480 by kman1211
- › Schiit Audio Yggdrasil by Currawong
- › oBravo ERIB-1C 2way planar magnetic hybrid by twister6
- › Astell & Kern AK Jr. Hi-Res Music Player 64GB by SkumBucket
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Travel Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (CanJams)
- › FiiO X3II DAP firmwares with custom themes
- › Flawless Album Suggestions
- › The Audiophile Scene in a Third World Country...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide:...
- › Chord Mojo FAQ
- › Head-Fi Logo Gear