- 1,456 Posts. Joined 6/2006
- Location: univ toronto st george
- Select All Posts By This User
Related Forum Threads
- USB vs Optical vs Coaxial (w/ converter) for Mac w/ Grant Fidelity TubeDAC-11 Last post on 6/6/12 at 11:11pm in Dedicated Source Components
- digital v dedicated source component... Last post on 7/19/10 at 1:09pm in Dedicated Source Components
- random irresponsible impression of SD Transporter Last post on 7/23/10 at 11:45am in Dedicated Source Components
- ART Legato and BNC to RCA: impedance matching-related question Last post on 6/3/13 at 7:13am in Dedicated Source Components
- Best-sounding source for amp/speakers? Last post on 8/28/12 at 5:17pm in Dedicated Source Components
DIY Cable Info and Resources
Last edited: 10/2/13
- Hi End CablesLast edited: 1/8/12
I have been using the E17 "Alpen" every day for over a year now. It is my go-to device for enjoying music at work, or anywhere other than my home office. So, here are my thoughts: Build...
VentureCraft are a Japanese company well known for their portable headphone amplifiers and amp/DAC combo units. Today, I will be taking a look at their latest offering in this category: the...
This is a quick unboxing and review of the player. More detailed review coming soon.
Hi all, I will prepare a proper review when I have some time and am not working. In short however, these are superior to any IEM I have personally used for my tastes. I listen to a vast...
Disclaimer: I was given the MEElectronics M9 Classic in return for a review. The opinions expressed in this review are 100% my own, and were not influenced by MEElectronics in any way. Before I...
- Hi End Cables
I2S vs spdif
Head-Fi's Best Sellers
The S/PDIF standard provides information about how and what. It specifies +/-0.5V, a 75ohm line, stupidly an RCA connector, and how the data is sorted.
I2S has no specs for data and connections since it has no exclusive purpose in audio; I2S is also used by microcontrollers to program filters, or managed HDCD decoders. It does however spec things like MSB first, and that the MSB should arrive 1 clock beat after the L/R clock changes, and finish one clock beat before it changes again.
What would be idea is to have a new standard (did I just say another one?) on top of I2S which has specifications for interconnects between audio connectors like DIN etc.
Yes I2S is a lot better then S/PDIF since it has several discrete data lines and clock lines. All the problems of S/PDIF could be solved if it is terminated correctly and if it did not multiplex the data and clock lines for transmission.
I know its an old thread, but I found it, looking for advantages of disadvantages of I2S. For the reason, that Kingwa of audio-gd suggested to me, to replace the spdif input of my Reference 9 DAC with a I2S - input. This would allow me to connect it to the Digital Interface DI-DSP and to transfer 192K (whereas the spdif-input of the RE9 is limited to 96K).
So I was looking around in order to know, whether this is a good idea. So it sounds like I2S promises to be the better solution...
- I2S vs spdif
Head-Fi's Best Sellers
- › Philips Fidelio X2?! 27 seconds ago
- › Music Game IX 1 minute ago
- › Band Name Game II 2 minutes ago
- › Introducing the T10i, an all new IEM from RHA 2 minutes ago
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (2/17/2015: X2 -partial-,... 3 minutes ago
- › iBasso DX90 Bug Thread - Post Any Firmware Bugs/Issues Here 3 minutes ago
- › The Audiophile Bass Lounge (Basshead club part II) 3 minutes ago
- › DX90. 2X Sabre,1st page: Downloads, info&inst. . . . . dap FW... 4 minutes ago
- › Audeze EL-8: The EL-8 is a must-hear at CES 2015 4 minutes ago
- › Geek Pulse: Geek desktop DAC/AMP by Light Harmonics 4 minutes ago
- › FiiO E17 by prez
- › VentureCraft SounDroid Vantam by fonzler
- › Sony Walkman Nw-zx2 128gb Mp3 Player Hi-res by piksnz
- › Tralucent Audio Ref 1 by Wyd4
- › MEElectronics M9 Classic Hi-Fi Noise-Isolating In-Ear Headphones by DisCHORDDubstep
- › PonoMusic PonoPlayer by piksnz
- › EarTech Music Dual Driver Custom Molded In Ear Musician Monitors... by acain
- › PSB M4U 1 by prez
- › 1 More Design Piston Crystal by banjoanton
- › Schiit Magni 2 by Willy 2 Streams
- › Table of Earphocalypse
- › The Great FiiO DAP FAQ Wiki
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 3