- 9,670 Posts. Joined 10/2001
- Location: Canada
- Select All Posts By This User
Related Forum Threads
- Best Amp in a smallest footprint Last post on 7/12/10 at 8:29pm in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- How to know when using a stereo amplifier is better (or worse) than a 'headphone'... Last post on 2/27/15 at 1:03pm in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- 1st Greek Headphone Festival Last post on 9/14/14 at 4:48pm in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- Is it true that a portable amp can boost the bass on a pair of headphones? Last post on 7/29/13 at 10:25pm in Headphones (full-size)
- 6SN7--continuing on a new thread Last post on 3/22/13 at 11:11am in Headphone Amps (full-size)
Head-Fi Buying Guide (Desktop Amps & DACs) 2
Last edited: 6/26/15
- Diy Beginners GuideLast edited: 7/22/13
- Headphone ImpedanceLast edited: 8/18/12
These were my first pair of cans that I consider my baptism of audiophile stuff. I used them with Fiio E10 as dac and Schiit Asgard as amp. Yes, they sounded good, but not as good as my...
The joys of reviewing a favorite product have eluded yours truly, until the T20 from RHA (Reid & Heath Acoustics) came along, supplied for review by my good friends at Headphone Zone...
A few years back, my family and I underwent a rather large home renovation (including not having a kitchen for 10 weeks; suffice it to say I was sick of take-out food after the summer of 2014). As...
INTRO I purchased these headphones on a whim out of curiosity as the design looked really cool and also I wanted to see what Audioquest might be thinking with their first foray in to headphones...
The Soundmagic E80 was purchased by me from Penon Audio. I’m not in any way affiliated with Penon Audio or Soundmagic. The price was $69 when I bought them and this is where I ordered them...
EAR HP4 Tube Rolling Thread - Page 5post #61 of 7810/24/05 at 1:59amOld thread, but a good one. Before I start searching the net for some good tubes...I was wondering if I have to go matched quad (by matched I mean same type), or can I do a pair of company a for inputs and a pair of company b for outputs?
Head-Fi's Best Sellerspost #62 of 7810/24/05 at 2:13amWell after reading through again after all these years, it does seem I can mix and match the inputs and outputs. this is good news, makes buying tubes much easierpost #63 of 7810/27/06 at 11:22amresurrecting the mummy another time
so Hirsch , all in all what do you think it's the best combination for the hp-4 ? ps-1 wise as they're my favourites at the moment
( hp-2 too , but they seem to be a tad lean in bass with the hp-4 ) ..post #64 of 7810/27/06 at 1:45pmIf you want more bass with the HP-2's I would suggest Tung Sol's black glass. If you want refinement and tight bass with the PS-1, my choice are the Sylvanias.post #65 of 783/5/10 at 8:54pm
Sophia Electric 6SL7Oh My Freaking Grapes! This is only my first impression, but OMFG. Looks like I will be making a new enclosure for my HP4 soon. I have about 10 hours on these tubes. It's my only rolling experience with the HP4, but so far, I am really glad that I rolled. A friend of mine commented that he thought that the head stage on the HP4 was wide, but could be a bit deeper. He was listening to it with the Sovtek's installed. I thought he was crazy until now. With the Sophia's the head stage is wider and deeper than the Sovtek's. When I put them on I forget my own name. Who cares anyway. I don't when listening to these tubes. All of the high frequency detail is there, maybe a bit more. The bass is a bit more extended. The dynamics may have softened a bit. I say may have, because I don't know what to expect as these tubes burn in. The other thing that I can't discern yet is that with all of the new sonic information, the dynamics may be there, but I am overwhelmed by the all-engulfing new world to which I'm trying to acclimate. Hopefully these continue to improve as they burn in. I'll update as things change.post #66 of 783/6/10 at 12:49pmNice to see another person who love this great amp. Would be interesting to know about headphones you are using. You may want to try, if you are lucky to find them, NOS 6SU7 Tung Sols from the 50's, however never tried Sophia's.
This thread been dead for a while, but somehow comes to live for a second time, I believeQuote:Oh My Freaking Grapes! This is only my first impression, but OMFG. Looks like I will be making a new enclosure for my HP4 soon. I have about 10 hours on these tubes. It's my only rolling experience with the HP4, but so far, I am really glad that I rolled. A friend of mine commented that he thought that the head stage on the HP4 was wide, but could be a bit deeper. He was listening to it with the Sovtek's installed. I thought he was crazy until now. With the Sophia's the head stage is wider and deeper than the Sovtek's. When I put them on I forget my own name. Who cares anyway. I don't when listening to these tubes. All of the high frequency detail is there, maybe a bit more. The bass is a bit more extended. The dynamics may have softened a bit. I say may have, because I don't know what to expect as these tubes burn in. The other thing that I can't discern yet is that with all of the new sonic information, the dynamics may be there, but I am overwhelmed by the all-engulfing new world to which I'm trying to acclimate. Hopefully these continue to improve as they burn in. I'll update as things change.post #67 of 783/6/10 at 1:22pmQuote:Nice to see another person who love this great amp. Would be interesting to know about headphones you are using. You may want to try, if you are lucky to find them, NOS 6SU7 Tung Sols from the 50's, however never tried Sophia's.
This thread been dead for a while, but somehow comes to live for a second time, I believepost #68 of 783/6/10 at 1:44pmYou are welcome. No, my is sold as the GS1000 I used it with. Hey, great headphone collection, post some impressionsQuote:Thanks for the suggestion Blackmore. As for cans, I own Grado PS1000's Headpiled into Vixens with a black gold cord, HD800's with a Double Helix cable, and Edition 8's (re-cabling soon). I like the HD800's with this amp best. I saw that you sold your HP4, but then later I saw one listed in your inventory. Did you buy another?post #69 of 785/9/12 at 8:36am
Kicking this zombie back to life again...
I just bought a HP4, 6 to 8 weeks delivery time. Kidney surgery planned as well. ;)
I already had some good advice on tubes from DR. Roberts but it wouldn't hurt to get some more opinions from (ex)HP4 owners.
May I be so blunt as to fire away some questions that are haunting my dreams?
First some info I am looking for:
- the rear tubes are the input tubes and most prone to tube rolling, right?
- the front tubes are the output tubes (or was it power tubes) and somehwat less important?
- does the HP4 RCA peamp output work when only using the XLR input?
- do I really need matched pairs?
- is it better to use 4 of the same tubes or can I go with different onet for the input and output?
Now about the tubes:
The sound I am after is crispy clean, detailed with a huge soundstage. Short glass only. I want no tube-mids-warmth or lushness.
Sylvanias on the input and Tung Sol on the outputs? If so which types exactly should I be looking for?
Any other opionions? What about Standard Radio?
Any advice is really welcome and appreciated.post #70 of 7811/13/12 at 8:01am
My first impressions, after two moths with HP4:
1. Brimar 6SL7 CV1981 Cryo
2. Fivre 6SL7
3. RCA VT-229
Now I'm looking for a pair of Tung-Sol 6su7gty.
Following Hirsch's alert, I did not rolled the stock tubes in the output section.
1. With HP2: Stock/output; Fivre/input
2. With Chroma MD2: Stock/output; RCA/input.
In both cases, I prefer Tungsram PCC88 in my EAR Acute II Cd.
See my profile for further informations regarding my set-up.
I hope this was helpful.
Edited by wesleysneijder - 11/13/12 at 8:09ampost #71 of 782/25/13 at 2:40pm
I didn't find anything in the user manual about changing tubes or adjusting bias.
- Is there anything one should be careful or particular about when changing tubes?
- Is the EAR Yoshino HP4 autobias, or do you adjust bias manually?
- If you adjust bias manually: How do you do it?
Information from EAR Yoshino:
- There is no bias adjustment of the tubes.
- It can use any 6SL7 tubes. But some versions are to tall to fit the cover back on.
Edited by CDWMcInSpots - 3/3/13 at 2:34pmpost #72 of 789/24/13 at 12:12pm
I'm SO psyched to find this thread!
I've been a fan of Tim's work for a long time (going back to my Atlantic Records days when we used his gear in the now-closed Atlantic Studios) and recently wrote about the HP4
for the Summer Gift Guide. I can't think of a better amp for my Audeze LCD3's or HD800's! Though my ALO Studio Six comes pretty damn close!
After a ton of tube-rolling over here, I ended up using vintage RCA's in the back, and vintage GE's in the front.
I'll have to find out their precise model numbers for you guys (so many to remember).
Tim just has his opinions like anybody - and he doesn't believe in certain audiophile-related things (like high quality
cabling or power conditioning) as his roots are in the recording/music business. I also believe this is why his audio
equipment are, IMO (like my E.A.R 868 pre-amp, which changed my two-channel reference systems sound so profoundly
I couldn't believe it) like windows into the music. I haven't found a line like E.A.R that's so consistently engaging to listen
to music through. I feel the emotive power of the music through the HP4 like no other tube headphone amp YET!
The tube combo may sound a little odd, but after hearing Bob Levi's HP4 (Bob's the president of the LAOC Audio Society - and
ran Turner Broadcasting for MANY years, so this man knows tubes - his roots in this are are DEEP) I had to have that sound!
He surprised me and gave me my own set of RCA's and GE's. I was PUMPED. I definitely heard, over the stock tubes, the mid-range
just open up like a fresh can of soda, with a sparkle factor that loomed across the whole soundstage.
Things also got more immediate, but not too forward.
I'm working on my full review of the HP4 for Positive Feedback - and I bought it. Though I was granted an industry accommodation,
this was NO EASY purchase for me. But the musical experience, while listening to the HP4 and my LCD3's and HD800's - is as close as
I've ever gotten to the experience of sitting in Harry Pearson's room #3 (Founder of The Absolute Sound magazine) and hearing one of his
super systems! And the systems he usually runs cost anywhere from 250k on up!!!!
I'm counting my own two-channel reference system in there, which is not too shabby. But with the E.A.R HP4 and my best cans I end up
transported to another time and place - which is my goal.
I can't wait to try out some of the tube combo's shared in this thread!!!!post #73 of 7812/6/13 at 10:23ampost #74 of 7812/6/13 at 1:30pm
- EAR HP4 Tube Rolling Thread
Head-Fi's Best Sellers
- Diy Beginners Guide
- › Sennheiser HD 700 Impressions Thread 22 seconds ago
- › Wow! Sennheiser HD 540 Reference are so good. 31 seconds ago
- › The Official Beyerdynamic T1 Impressions and Discussion Thread 58 seconds ago
- › Looking for new earbuds! $80 - $125 1 minute ago
- › Some People Remember How Equipment Sounds! 3 minutes ago
- › Viva Egoista 845 SET Tube amplifier 10K Headphone Masterpiece 5 minutes ago
- › What Are You Listening To Right Now? -New thread, new rules. Please... 6 minutes ago
- › Three New Amps on Preorder from Audio-GD (C-2 11th Anniversary... 6 minutes ago
- › Little Dot MK VI / Little Dot MK VIII SE Owners Unite 8 minutes ago
- › 「Official」Asian Anime, Manga, and Music Lounge 12 minutes ago
- › beyerdynamic DT 770 Stereo Headphones by Meirelles
- › RHA T20 by ShreyasMax
- › Sennheiser Momentum 2.0 by MacedonianHero
- › AudioQuest - Nighthawk Headphones by Mediahound
- › Soundmagic E80 in-ear monitor headphone by peter123
- › Sennheiser HD8 DJ On Ear Headphones by LAmitchell
- › FiiO X5 2nd gen Premium Hi-Res DAP by ade_hall
- › VE Zen by Hisoundfi
- › Lumia 640 LTE RM-1072 Black - Factory Unlocked - International... by Mink
- › MEElectronics M6 PRO Universal-Fit Noise-Isolating Musician’s... by whitemass
- › All about iPod Touch 6G as digital transport
- › List of major HiFiMan HE1000 reviews,...
- › Can I change my user name? Can I delete my...
- › Table of Earphocalypse
- › The Great FiiO DAP FAQ Wiki
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3