New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Virtual Dynamics Nite Cables - Page 3

post #31 of 90
Quote:
Originally posted by eric343
Oy, what do those VD guys PUT in those Nites, anyway?!
cocaine
post #32 of 90
Quote:
Originally posted by kelly
cocaine
ROTFLMHO!!!!!
post #33 of 90
lol so do those things stop making sound after a half hour of listening?

Its a shame theyre so damn big and heavy or I would seriously think about pickin up a pair from all these reviews.
post #34 of 90
Kelly,

Your nuts. Your funny ,too!

Freethetree,

You'll get over how stuff these things are the moment you hear them.

Dark Angel has got it right when he/she instructs to bend them first to the shape you need and them install. I did that and had no problems.






Best
Brian
post #35 of 90
Quote:
Originally posted by freethetree
lol so do those things stop making sound after a half hour of listening?

No, it means they are addictive and expensive habits to get into and impossible to kick!!!


Lord Bless
post #36 of 90
Mark.

The Melos shoot-out shoud be great fun and very informative. A lot of people have these amps and a successful mod should be newsworthy around Head-Fi.

Let me know when you start the official thread. I am gathering up tubes for the review and we should have everything together in a few weeks.






Best
Brian
post #37 of 90
Quote:
Originally posted by Hirsch
Once I posted this, I realized that I really wanted to know what kind of difference the Nite cables would make in a "portable" system. I had a Radio Shack RCA to mini adapter lying about. So:

The weird thing is that this cable really makes that system sing. It also works with other headphones, but they weren't as photogenic It's really amazing just how much sound is lost in the cable. There's going to be a problem fitting this into my travel bag, though
This is great stuff to "fan the flames" of the many RA1 bashers who populate this site, just post a link to that picture and their blood pressure will rise to low boil, priceless heh heh.

I have also used a dual RCA/Mini adaptor to run a pair of HG Silver Laces between Grado RA1 and Pan CT470 PCDP. This is actually very practicle since Silver Lace is lightweight flexible IC.
It does improve on $20 Straightwire cable Headroom sells.

BK is a great member to this site, very generous, also he is on VD christmas card mailing list I hear.
post #38 of 90
Thread Starter 
A quick note. I added the ZOTL into the mix last night, and results are good. The ZOTL is suprisingly comparable to the EAR. My guess is that you get better than 90% of the EAR's performance at around 20% of the US price.

However, the big difference is what the Nite cables do to both. The difference between the ZOTL with and without the Nite Power Cord and interconnects is much greater than the A/B difference between the EAR and the ZOTL. Same with the EAR...my preference goes to ZOTL with the Nites, over EAR with my previous cables. I really wasn't ready for this, and am still trying to sort out all of my impressions.

BTW, those cables are heavy. VD would have to charge many times the price if made as kelly suggested
post #39 of 90
Quote:
Originally posted by Hirsch
BTW, those cables are heavy. VD would have to charge many times the price if made as kelly suggested
cocaine and metal shilling, that's my final answer
post #40 of 90
Quote:
Originally posted by Hirsch
Once I posted this, I realized that I really wanted to know what kind of difference the Nite cables would make in a "portable" system. I had a Radio Shack RCA to mini adapter lying about. So:



The weird thing is that this cable really makes that system sing. It also works with other headphones, but they weren't as photogenic It's really amazing just how much sound is lost in the cable.

Isn't this a clear argument that these cables are bringing in their own sound to a large degree? Shouldn't a high level cable bring out the faults of such a setup? I know that some cables are more forgiving than others, but still.
post #41 of 90
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally posted by pigmode
Isn't this a clear argument that these cables are bringing in their own sound to a large degree? Shouldn't a high level cable bring out the faults of such a setup? I know that some cables are more forgiving than others, but still.
I don't know yet. I'd say the opposite, though. If a cable is having an additive or subtractive effect on the sound, I'd expect it to sound good in some systems and bad in others, depending on whether the system needed what was being added, or whether the addition simply threw the balance of the system off. However, if a cable sounds good in a variety of systems, simply bringing out the best in each system, then I'd say it represents an advance in neutral transmission, rather than a sonic signature.
post #42 of 90
Pigmode,

I think of those cables as being more like filters. You put them in place in your systen and they filter out the bad and leave the good -- your music. That's the simplified version but I am sure that this or something like it is what is going on.

It is clear the the VD cables are doing something more than just adding color to your system because, first off, I don't hear anything like what you would call coloring, there s is no specific sonic character that is common to everything thing played through these cables. I take that back, everything is clean a clear.

Second, and you may need to hook them up to a conventional speaker system to truly appreciate this but the dynamics are increased dramatically. There is no way to color in the dynamics. If you hear this effect you will understand what I am saying.

The third thing that still sticks in my mind is how much cooler my equipment runs with these things installed. I don't know what that means but to me it indicaties that the VD cables are doing something significantly different than any other cables I am familiar with. I am not the only one who has noticed this effect so it is not unique to my system.

Anyhow, that's my two cents.

Dark ANgel,

I'm glad I am running into you again on his thread. I haven't seen you in awhile. Thanks for the kind remarks. You are, likewise, one of my all-time favorite Head-Fi'ers.






Best
Brian
post #43 of 90
bkelly - Id be using them in a transportable setting, theyd be in a big pelican case plugged into the amp and dac while not in use so the stiffness and size just isnt practical. Besides, those things probably weigh more (and are definitly bigger) than my new dac, lol.
post #44 of 90
Quote:
Originally posted by bkelly
Pigmode,

I think of those cables as being more like filters. You put them in place in your systen and they filter out the bad and leave the good -- your music. That's the simplified version but I am sure that this or something like it is what is going on.

Interesting. The reason I asked Hirsch the question above is I've found my best sounding cables to be ruthless to some degree or another of both equipment and recordings. My VD Ref. PC, however, seems to be as you describe.
post #45 of 90
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally posted by pigmode
Interesting. The reason I asked Hirsch the question above is I've found my best sounding cables to be ruthless to some degree or another of both equipment and recordings. My VD Ref. PC, however, seems to be as you describe.
The question I've been asking myself is if I have been mistaking ruthlessness for incompatibility. The Nite's aren't hiding anything. I can clearly hear the differences between the EAR and the ZOTL (they're more exaggerated than when I was using the Silver Lace). However, they don't matter as much either. Same with RA-1. The trace of solid state grain is easier to pick up in the pictured setup than in most others, but doesn't seem to get in the way of the music. Strange.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav: