Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Studio monitoring cans for 200-300 with no colorization
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Studio monitoring cans for 200-300 with no colorization

post #1 of 17
Thread Starter 
All my major cans have some color to them..I want to go the opposite route, & see how music sounds naturally..I would love a wide soundstage too, but accuracy is the key, with great detail in ambient noise, & airy.
post #2 of 17
The Alessandro MS2i's seem to have a good reputation for being balanced and neutral. I prefer them over all other grado's (except Joe's flavor) when it comes to craving a pure and no-nonsense sound.
post #3 of 17
Don't need those to be closed? DT880 then.
post #4 of 17
I wouldn't use an open headphone for any kind of monitoring.

The AKG K271s would fulfill your needs. Very neutral and airy, detailed, and decent soundstage.
post #5 of 17
http://www6.head-fi.org/forums/showt...55#post2217255

scroll down and see what i have to say about them. they are horrible hi-fi phones. they are the best studio monitors i have ever heard.

music_man.

edit: sorry i did not see your max was $300. the 2500 is $399 and no less. it's so worth the extra $100 for monitoring applications though!
post #6 of 17
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhydon
The Alessandro MS2i's seem to have a good reputation for being balanced and neutral. I prefer them over all other grado's (except Joe's flavor) when it comes to craving a pure and no-nonsense sound.
Would the A900, SA 1,000 & SA 5,000 be suitable aswell?
post #7 of 17
The HD280 is a great monitoring headphone.
post #8 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by jagorev
I wouldn't use an open headphone for any kind of monitoring.

The AKG K271s would fulfill your needs. Very neutral and airy, detailed, and decent soundstage.
Second that, K271S both hands down for neutral, natural and very detailed presentation. Plus they are designed as studio phones (closed with auto shut off)
post #9 of 17
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew_WOT
Second that, K271S both hands down for neutral, natural and very detailed presentation. Plus they are designed as studio phones (closed with auto shut off)
Why did it score so low on the user reviews?
post #10 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by kool bubba ice
Why did it score so low on the user reviews?
Good monitor cans are often not as "fun" to listen to. I love Grados, but I wouldn't bring them in to monitor (except the HP1000). Headphones like the DT770-80, HD280 and those AKGs mentioned are more suited for monitoring purposes.
post #11 of 17
AKG 240S used to be THE standard in recording studios.
Now AKG replaced it with K240M and K271S.
K271S is probably your best bet.
Definitely don't use Grado heapdhones for monitoring, since they are very colored.
DT880, HD650 and K701 may be OK if you want to do classical or audiophile recordings. These headphones are designed for home users to enjoy music, not examining music.
Sony 7506 is the TV/film industry standard for monitoring headphone, consider this if budget is a concern.
post #12 of 17
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferbose
AKG 240S used to be THE standard in recording studios.
Now AKG replaced it with K240M and K271S.
K271S is probably your best bet.
Definitely don't use Grado heapdhones for monitoring, since they are very colored.
DT880, HD650 and K701 may be OK if you want to do classical or audiophile recordings. These headphones are designed for home users to enjoy music, not examining music.
Sony 7506 is the TV/film industry standard for monitoring headphone, consider this if budget is a concern.
271 it is..Thanks guys..
post #13 of 17
Quote:
AKG 240S used to be THE standard in recording studios.
Now AKG replaced it with K240M

Now you got it wrong way. K240M was THE standard in recording studios, but its noW replaced by K240S (which is horrible for studio purposes. Baaaad bass-bloat and not that detailed) and K240DF.


*edit* typo fix
post #14 of 17
AKG K271s is very good and with a better seal than the Beyer DT 250's. The Beyer's might be more neutral but I like the 271s better for some reason. I thought the Senn HD280 was dreadful, sterile sounding, felt like my head was in a clamp and starting sweating around the ears immediately. Beyer has the new DT770 with soft fabric cups that is sealed but according to some lacking in the mids or has tipped up highs and lows. If you don't need sealed cans, the Senn HD650's are the most revealing, ultra resolving cans I have ever heard and they can be had for around $300. I cannot listen to a lot of the old 50's jazz recordings on these cans becuase they let you hear too far into the sound, warts and all, tape hiss, sharps and flats, wows and flutters, etc. If you want brutally revealing open cans that let you hear everything on the tape or hard drive as it were, the 650's are it.
post #15 of 17
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmyjames8
AKG K271s is very good and with a better seal than the Beyer DT 250's. The Beyer's might be more neutral but I like the 271s better for some reason. I thought the Senn HD280 was dreadful, sterile sounding, felt like my head was in a clamp and starting sweating around the ears immediately. Beyer has the new DT770 with soft fabric cups that is sealed but according to some lacking in the mids or has tipped up highs and lows. If you don't need sealed cans, the Senn HD650's are the most revealing, ultra resolving cans I have ever heard and they can be had for around $300. I cannot listen to a lot of the old 50's jazz recordings on these cans becuase they let you hear too far into the sound, warts and all, tape hiss, sharps and flats, wows and flutters, etc. If you want brutally revealing open cans that let you hear everything on the tape or hard drive as it were, the 650's are it.
I have the 650's..I want somthing without the color..
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Studio monitoring cans for 200-300 with no colorization