or Connect
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Grado driver mod?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Grado driver mod? - Page 2

post #16 of 111
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by MD1032
So what kind of sound difference does this mod make?
I wish I can say. I imagine that it will increase resolution and detail slightly as I assume the tack acts as a damper. The only thing I could imagine this benefiting is the driver by making it less vibratory and more stable, reducing the # of sound waves from previous notes interfering with future notes. Man, where's machead when you need him? I only took 1 class in vibrations, so my knowledge is far from complete and for the most part, what I've written above is conjecture.

When I get this mod done I'll post impressions (assuming I can tell a difference, LOL).
post #17 of 111
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by kontai69
Very true. Just one square inch of Dynamat will give you enough material to treat several headphones.

To clarify things for those who are interested in using Dynamat for this mod...
Dynamat Xtreme is a thin aluminum foil sheet that has a layer of gooey elastomer material on the back. I rub the gooey stuff off the foil with my fingers and roll the elastomer into a ball around 1cm in diameter. I then apply this to the back of the transducers. I don't use the foil.
I imagine any similar material will work, including poster putty or Blu-Tack as mentioned previously. One advantage of Dynamat is that it is black and not light blue, which will look "tacky." You may also try looking for some roofing material called "Peel-N-Seal", which is similar to Dynamat Xtreme but is rubberized asphalt-based. It can be found at hardware stores. For the amount that you will need, you can probably "borrow" a small piece for free.
I ended up buying 2.7 Sq.ft of the stuff as no one in my area had any to lend! I think I will try what biggie had done to his PS-1's and apply the goop not only to the back of the driver, but also line the inside walls behind the driver with the stuff as well to try and ascertain if any benefit can be derived from damping the housing vibrations. I will keep y'all posted. After that, I'll probably take the rest of the 'mat and soundproof my car!
post #18 of 111
Quote:
Originally Posted by omendelovitz
I ended up buying 2.7 Sq.ft of the stuff as no one in my area had any to lend!
FuturesShop sells dynamat for like $10 for 2 sheets at 1'sq.
post #19 of 111
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonick
FuturesShop sells dynamat for like $10 for 2 sheets at 1'sq.

AH! where were U last week!?
post #20 of 111
Quote:
Originally Posted by omendelovitz
AH! where were U last week!?
Heh, sorry dude.
post #21 of 111
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonick
Heh, sorry dude.
you're forgiven
post #22 of 111
Quote:
Originally Posted by omendelovitz
I ended up buying 2.7 Sq.ft of the stuff as no one in my area had any to lend! I think I will try what biggie had done to his PS-1's and apply the goop not only to the back of the driver, but also line the inside walls behind the driver with the stuff as well to try and ascertain if any benefit can be derived from damping the housing vibrations. I will keep y'all posted. After that, I'll probably take the rest of the 'mat and soundproof my car!
Hey, I'll buy some from you if you have no use of the extra.
post #23 of 111
Quote:
Originally Posted by omendelovitz
AH! where were U last week!?
Ahaha I guess I shouldn't tell you that I could have sent you some free samples of peal-n-seal.

Biggie.
post #24 of 111
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by NotoriousBIG_PJ
Ahaha I guess I shouldn't tell you that I could have sent you some free samples of peal-n-seal.

Biggie.

That's it! No more impressions for you!
post #25 of 111
Thread Starter 

initial impressions

Well, so far my hypothesis seems to be accurate: the tack has applied some refining touches to the cans - imaging has increased in accuracy to a noticeable degree; bass response (resolution and attack [punchiness]) has improved noticeably; resolution has also increased nicely (more 'blackness' b/w each note and different instruments as well). I'm going to compare them to my GS-1000's now to compare the refinement that way too...
post #26 of 111
Quote:
Originally Posted by omendelovitz View Post
Well, so far my hypothesis seems to be accurate: the tack has applied some refining touches to the cans - imaging has increased in accuracy to a noticeable degree; bass response (resolution and attack [punchiness]) has improved noticeably; resolution has also increased nicely (more 'blackness' b/w each note and different instruments as well). I'm going to compare them to my GS-1000's now to compare the refinement that way too...
i agree with most of that, i HOPE, our old enemy placebo isnt at work here but i just added some blue tack and am hearing difference as described above on my sr325i's. this is my first little journey into modding grados, i firstly taped up the pads, making them more bassy, then removed the model button, stripped the black grills to natural stainless colour. then added this dampening material to back of driver. and also added a very tight shank washer to the aluminium housing.

hopefully, liberators and recabling is in the future.
post #27 of 111
I also applied damping material to the back of the transducers of my SR225's, similar to what Grado applies to all their upper end cans. I used the black elastomer material from a piece of Dynamat Xtreme, the stuff normally used in car audio applications. This seems to reduce the peakiness in the midrange. Of course, it could just be placebo If doing this mod, make sure NOT to cover the two small holes on the back of the transducers!
Here is a before and after pic...
post #28 of 111
Quote:
Originally Posted by kontai69 View Post
I also applied damping material to the back of the transducers of my SR225's, similar to what Grado applies to all their upper end cans. I used the black elastomer material from a piece of Dynamat Xtreme, the stuff normally used in car audio applications. This seems to reduce the peakiness in the midrange. Of course, it could just be placebo If doing this mod, make sure NOT to cover the two small holes on the back of the transducers!
Here is a before and after pic...
hi kontai69, yeah i used your very helpfull post and picture as my main inspiration and source. thanks!!

p.s i just wish i has to hand some black material like yours, with the blue you can see it through the grills!
post #29 of 111
Hey, is this easily reversible? i.e. does the stuff come off okay?
post #30 of 111
Quote:
Originally Posted by unclejr View Post
Hey, is this easily reversible? i.e. does the stuff come off okay?
absolutely, especially with bluetack like i used, even when it hardens, the back of the driver isnt flexible, so it can have a small ammount of force applied to spread the 'tack' on, and therefore wouldnt be any problem simply removing it. it has a metallic like shiny surface, so it wont pull up the surface or anything like that

as kontai69 pointed out, try not to cover the two small holes opposite each other on the back of the driver.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Grado driver mod?