Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Sony ECR-500 impressions
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Sony ECR-500 impressions - Page 2

post #16 of 71
I won the latest ECR you attempted to get. But I should provide at least an image of the actual product [I was going for a vintage look feel to this photograph, and I added various distortions/subtle effects] that I won:



High-Res link: http://www.linaeum.com/images/sony_e...r500_1_big.jpg

BTW, the unit really was in like-new condition as the ebay auction claimed[refer to high-resolution picture], even the ear pads. However, I have not yet tried the headphone to see if it works. Besides, I got this unit primarily for collecting purposes.

-Chris
post #17 of 71
Minh, you devil-- why were you trying to snag a second pair?

You must be getting ready to modify the first pair, right?

If that's true, let us in on what you have in mind.
post #18 of 71
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by wualta
Minh, you devil-- why were you trying to snag a second pair?

You must be getting ready to modify the first pair, right?

If that's true, let us in on what you have in mind.
Sorry for the REALLY late reply, but better late than never I wanted a second pair because my first pair has a channel imbalance of about 40/60 and it was really bothering me for awhile. But i just recently scored a jvc reciever at goodwill for 15 bucks that let me change the balance and now its much better. Also, i was going to give my first pair to my little bro whose develop a little headfi addiction as well Anyways, i can confidently say that i like the sony's more than the stax. Call me crazy, but i just prefer the smoothness of the sony's to the stax. Dont get me wrong, i do like the stax srx mk3 with some genres like rock, etc. But its a little harsh sounding imo. Maybe its that im not use to it's grado like sound and little soundstage. I am coming from the akg k340s afterall. I'll make further comparisons once i get really acquainted with these beasts
post #19 of 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by aznsensazian
... i can confidently say that i like the sony's more than the stax. Call me crazy, but i just prefer the smoothness of the sony's to the stax.
Interesting... you've just made the same choice I had to make in Atlanta 30 years ago. That's scary.


Quote:
I'll make further comparisons once i get really acquainted with these beasts.
I'll be looking forward to your reactions. Try some binaural recordings as a test.
post #20 of 71
Been listening to my ECR-500 for about an hour now, reading these old threads, and thought i may as well bump one.

I paid $62 for my ECR-500, so, a bit high of the recommended price, but it's still the best $62 I've spent this month. Just showed up today.

I've got them hooked up to the amp of my reckless youth - an Akai UC-W5 stereo 50 watt per channel power amp, currently being fed directly from the line-out on my iRiver H120 ('cause i can't figure out where the heck the matching preamp is). This is a compact amp from a bookshelf system, but fairly decently built for it's size - based on Sanyo STK0050-II power packs. I have completely re-capped it, and upgraded some of the power supply caps as well.

Wualta, as usual, is right - the imaging on these things is wonderful, and the bass is real nice.

This amp seems to be a little bright in the upper mids, so I've applied a bit of EQ, and i really like what I'm hearing.

I wish i had something more intelligent to say - I guess I'm just distracted by the music
post #21 of 71
Where'd you find a pair?! I was literally scouring the internet for one no more than a month ago!

I was liking the ATH-2 quite a bit and thought it'd be interesting to get into some other types of planars. I had always thought electrostatic headphones would be right up my alley (Which is why I think I like my CD3000's so much. Great, wide soundstage, impeccable imaging/placement and a whole lot of treble energy. The presence of bass is just icing on the cake...) so I went searching for a few old and forgotten models I might be able to find on the cheap; no such luck. Am I really that bad an eBay'er?

Nice snatch, btw. They really are beautiful headphones. I think I'm just a sucker for Sony.
post #22 of 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by khbaur330162 View Post
Where'd you find a pair?! I was literally scouring the internet for one no more than a month ago!
US eBay - "DJ & Traditional Headphones" category.

They don't show up on US eBay more than a couple times a year, near as i can tell. They turn up on UK eBay fairly regularly, but they go for a lot more money there.

This pair is missing the right-side cap over the headband adjuster clicker, but there appears to be no discernable channel imbalance at all.

Quote:
I was liking the ATH-2 quite a bit and thought it'd be interesting to get into some other types of planars. I had always thought electrostatic headphones would be right up my alley (Which is why I think I like my CD3000's so much. Great, wide soundstage, impeccable imaging/placement and a whole lot of treble energy. The presence of bass is just icing on the cake...) so I went searching for a few old and forgotten models I might be able to find on the cheap; no such luck. Am I really that bad an eBay'er?
Well . . . . I make extensive use of an automated search robot, and my query statements are second to few.

But this one was right out in plain sight - the title of the auction was a little confusing maybe - "Sony Electret Condenser Headphones Adaptor for ECR-500".


Quote:
Nice snatch, btw. They really are beautiful headphones. I think I'm just a sucker for Sony.
I'm less of a fan of Sony than i used to be, but i like the ECR-500 a lot.

I don't know for sure whether Sony made these themselves - they look a heck of a lot like Micro-Seiki cans.

Admittedly, the styling is very retro classy.
post #23 of 71
I probably hadn't searched for a pair during the entire duration of the auction so it's no mystery as to why I didn't see the ad. I was just complaining because that's what I do.

If you ever feel like ridding yourself of this pair you know who to turn to. (Just hopefully not any time soon because my funds are depleted!)
post #24 of 71

I've discovered something about Micro-Seiki's 'stats-- if the Sonys had really been made by M-S, they'd all be inoperative by now. So I think we can rule M-S out. But it's an intriguing question-- who in Japan, aside from Sony, would've had the expertise in 1976 to design something like the '500?

Very glad you're liking them. They may even be worth $60. Someday it would be interesting to make an adapter for Stax amps/boxes.

 

EDIT/UPDATE: Since the ECR has an unusually wide stator spacing, the Sony transformer box has an unusually high stepup ratio, so if you Staxify, be prepared for lower output from the 'phones.


Edited by wualta - 1/7/11 at 4:14pm
post #25 of 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by khbaur330162 View Post
I was liking the ATH-2 quite a bit and thought it'd be interesting to get into some other types of planars.
Did you mod your ATH-2, or is it stock?
post #26 of 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by wualta View Post
Did you mod your ATH-2, or is it stock?
They have been modded with the densest felt I could find and some open-cell foam to act as the spring. I heard them for the first time, properly amped and modded, at a recent Chicago mini meet where I, along with a few others, considered them one of, if not the, best bargain pieces of gear present!

They set me back $22 (+ about $5 for modding materials) so I'm one happy camper! They were meant to take over the slot of "late night female vocal" can, but I've yet to really get a proper chance at using them as such.

They've definitely sparked my interest in ortho's, though. (Heck, planars in general) If I ever get out of college I'd like to see a pair of Purple Heart (Jelly Donut?) woodified model of them much like Steve's pair! 'Til then I can set aside a few bucks for a pair of cheap ECR500's to get my feet wet in the electrostat waters.
post #27 of 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by khbaur330162 View Post
They have been modded with the densest felt I could find and some open-cell foam to act as the spring.
Good for you. Just wondering if you damped the vents on the back of the cup as well-- that'll give you some extra bass.

Anyway, the ECR-500 and Realistic HP-100 (and its near-identical twin, the Magnavox 1A9217) are the Cheap Stats pinups these days. With careful shopping and patience (I know, I know), you should be able to get 'em for less than 50 bux.
post #28 of 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by wualta
Good for you. Just wondering if you damped the vents on the back of the cup as well-- that'll give you some extra bass.
Yup. I modded them trying to follow pretty much word for word as you wrote it in your ATH-2 mod write up. The only thing I wasn't able to do was get some of the "door sill sealer tape" because I had no idea what you were talking about. I simply exchanged this material for more felt.

The task didn't seem to require any real level of precision, so I got to work with some scissors and varying(ly?) sized circular coins to make sure it was at least a relatively neat job done. I feel I did a rather adequate job.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wualta
Anyway, the ECR-500 and Realistic HP-100 (and its near-identical twin, the Magnavox 1A9217) are the Cheap Stats pinups these days. With careful shopping and patience (I know, I know), you should be able to get 'em for less than 50 bux.
I've always been a pretty sound/headstage kind of guy which is why the ECR500 has such great allure, at least for me. I'm no bass fiend, and I actually don't like how a lot of headphones, imo, just keep shoving more and more into your ears. As long as they have the proper punch and reach adequately low they should be good enough for me. I was planning on this headphone to scratch the SA5000 itch I had for a while after liking my CD3000's so much, but the idea sort of faded after not finding a pair. I must admit, however, I was only in active search for maybe 3 weeks.

Thanks for the heads up, though. I'll be sure to favorite this thread so I can come back and research the two other stat' models you mentioned when I have the cash to make a purchase.
post #29 of 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by khbaur330162 View Post
I was planning on this headphone to scratch the SA5000 itch I had for a while after liking my CD3000's so much, but the idea sort of faded after not finding a pair. I must admit, however, I was only in active search for maybe 3 weeks.
hehe. My search robot has been looking for ecr-500's every 6 hours for the last 6 months.

I think this is the 2nd stateside pair it found.
post #30 of 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by khbaur330162
Yup. I modded them trying to follow pretty much word for word as you wrote it in your ATH-2 mod write up. The only thing I wasn't able to do was get some of the "door sill sealer tape" because I had no idea what you were talking about. I simply exchanged this material for more felt.

Hee hee. You won't believe how many hours I spent trying to Google the actual agreed-upon name for that stuff. Which is why I gave up and wrote "aw crap, just use the felt". As long as the same amount of acoustic resistance is achieved in the volume alotted, the material doesn't matter.
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by khbaur330162
The task didn't seem to require any real level of precision, so I got to work with some scissors...

That's all it takes.
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by khbaur330162
I've always been a pretty sound/headstage kind of guy which is why the ECR500 has such great allure, at least for me. ..As long as they have the proper punch and reach adequately low they should be good enough for me.

They strike an adequate balance between headstage and diaphragm control. I installed thick felt damping in my original 1976 pair and never liked it that way. I too am no basshead, but when I do want bass I want it to be controlled and extended.
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by khbaur330162
I'll be sure to come back and research the two other stat' models you mentioned when I have the cash to make a purchase.

If you're a headstage kinda guy, stick with the ECR.
I hope one day we'll actually see the ECR-600 and 800/880. I'd love to know where those've been hiding out.




Also don't turn down a Signet TK33 if one comes your way. Not much bass, but has other virtues, including good imaging.

1977-ATH-8a.jpg

This photo implies you can sit down with a TK33 in a fancy cafe, and because of its rigorous geisha training, it can intelligently discuss phono cartridges with you. For the typical HFer, a fantasy come true.


Edited by wualta - 8/27/11 at 10:00pm
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Sony ECR-500 impressions