Head-Fi.org › Forums › Misc.-Category Forums › Members' Lounge (General Discussion) › Wiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii!!!!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Wiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii!!!! - Page 7

post #91 of 218
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sladeophile
If you were to be true to your argument, all you would need is a nintendo since all of the greatest games that have come out in the last few years (except for a few) started on the original nintendo! I am one of those guys who looks at games with great graphics and it makes me want to buy it even more.
Well to be completely honest, at least half of my gaming is vintage gaming. I'm talking pong/2600/nes all the way up till now. Graphics have never truly been a concern of mine, and never will. Did I think HL2 looked sweet when I stayed up till 3am waiting for it to unlock? Of course! Did the new physics system and the new graphics make me want to play it? Of course it did. But it's not the graphics that keep me interested in a game for more than 5 minutes.
I (as my vintage gaming denotes) was a big Doom fan. So it was with baited breath that I loaded up Doom 3. I literally played it for under 15 minutes, then deleted it and sold the game. It was exactly the same game I had played a hundred times before, with nothing new to add but some prettier monsters jumping out at me. I would rather play CS 1.6 than CS:S, because thats where my old clan mates and friends are playing. It's not like I don't have the rig to handle it (Maxed everything on a 19" widescreen silky smooth) it's just that graphics have never been where it's at for me. If thats what sells games for you, so be it. I would much rather Nintendo spend the money on the innovative controller than on adding 1080p to the console. I have a 27" SDTV for my console needs, and its holding up quite well.
Thats not to say I'm no stranger to upgrading for gaming, I'm truly a PC gamer at heart, but if you cannot make the game fun with older graphics then what are you truly playing besides an extended tech demo.
Could I live with just an NES? Mario, Megaman, Contra, Kid Icarus, Blaster Master, Metroid, Paper Boy... of COURSE I could. But would I also like to have Super Mario 64, PilotWings, Mario Kart and Goldeneye? Obviously! My reason for upgrading is not the new particle effects or bump mapping, its the new experiences.
post #92 of 218
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedLeader
Well to be completely honest, at least half of my gaming is vintage gaming. I'm talking pong/2600/nes all the way up till now. Graphics have never truly been a concern of mine, and never will. Did I think HL2 looked sweet when I stayed up till 3am waiting for it to unlock? Of course! Did the new physics system and the new graphics make me want to play it? Of course it did. But it's not the graphics that keep me interested in a game for more than 5 minutes.
I (as my vintage gaming denotes) was a big Doom fan. So it was with baited breath that I loaded up Doom 3. I literally played it for under 15 minutes, then deleted it and sold the game. It was exactly the same game I had played a hundred times before, with nothing new to add but some prettier monsters jumping out at me. I would rather play CS 1.6 than CS:S, because thats where my old clan mates and friends are playing. It's not like I don't have the rig to handle it (Maxed everything on a 19" widescreen silky smooth) it's just that graphics have never been where it's at for me. If thats what sells games for you, so be it. I would much rather Nintendo spend the money on the innovative controller than on adding 1080p to the console. I have a 27" SDTV for my console needs, and its holding up quite well.
Thats not to say I'm no stranger to upgrading for gaming, I'm truly a PC gamer at heart, but if you cannot make the game fun with older graphics then what are you truly playing besides an extended tech demo.
Could I live with just an NES? Mario, Megaman, Contra, Kid Icarus, Blaster Master, Metroid, Paper Boy... of COURSE I could. But would I also like to have Super Mario 64, PilotWings, Mario Kart and Goldeneye? Obviously! My reason for upgrading is not the new particle effects or bump mapping, its the new experiences.
Play the demo of Lost Planet on 360, that has awesome graphics and sweet gameplay to boot. I can't wait for the actual game to come out!
post #93 of 218
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sladeophile
Play the demo of Lost Planet on 360, that has awesome graphics and sweet gameplay to boot. I can't wait for the actual game to come out!
Aaaaactually, I sold my 360. But look on the bright side, you get a possibly great experience all to yourself!
post #94 of 218
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedLeader
Aaaaactually, I sold my 360. But look on the bright side, you get a possibly great experience all to yourself!
that's an odd thing to say...
post #95 of 218
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedLeader
Aaaaactually, I sold my 360. But look on the bright side, you get a possibly great experience all to yourself!

and the 2 million other Live subscribers. Not having HD on the Wii may not mean much to you, but it means plenty to me. The difference between a non-HD gaming console and an HD capable one when viewed on an HDTV is simply amazing.
post #96 of 218
Quote:
Originally Posted by AuroraProject
and the 2 million other Live subscribers. Not having HD on the Wii may not mean much to you, but it means plenty to me. The difference between a non-HD gaming console and an HD capable one when viewed on an HDTV is simply amazing.
Yup it is real hard going back to standard definition gaming after using HD.
post #97 of 218
1 - no HDTV and no desire to own one
2 - if graphics are why you play your games, I don't understand you but have fun! I don't have any problems going from my computer to GCN
post #98 of 218
Quote:
Originally Posted by PsychoZX
Yup it is real hard going back to standard definition gaming after using HD.
Yes indeed. It's hard to go back to SD period after being exposed to quality HD.

There are only two shows I watch now in SD. If a show isn't available in HD I just don't bother.
post #99 of 218
Quote:
Originally Posted by F1GTR
Yes indeed. It's hard to go back to SD period after being exposed to quality HD.

There are only two shows I watch now in SD. If a show isn't available in HD I just don't bother.
holy cow, how many shows do you watch?
post #100 of 218
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedLeader
holy cow, how many shows do you watch?
im guessing two


i think thats quite silly though

if the show isnt in hd i wont bother

if you guys are so concerned about hdtv you can always upconvert the 480p image, it wont look horrible. youve gamed since 1980/90 without hdtv and it was fun.
post #101 of 218
Think it silly all you want. I'm just a detail whore.

24 in HD vs. 24 in SD. No contest. I won't watch the latter.

This rings true especially with sports programming. If a game is in HD then I will definitely consider watching it. If it isn't, I will go find something else to do. It's simply a night and day difference and there is no going back for me. My XBR960 has warped me.
post #102 of 218
Hey man, I totally hear you with the HD thing. Why go back to VCR when you can have DVD??? I have a really hard time going back to retro gaming systems because of the great systems we have now, I'm spoiled! Only stellar games like mario games, metroids, contras, final fantasys, the true classics. Those kind of games are the only ones I can play on an outdated system. Online gameplay is another huge advance, and nintendo is WAY late to the party with that one, and they have GREAT games to take advantage of it! IMO online gameplay is what will help the 360 the most in the console wars. I imagine if I buy a Wii, it will be for my wiife, not me...
post #103 of 218
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sladeophile
Online gameplay is another huge advance, and nintendo is WAY late to the party with that one, and they have GREAT games to take advantage of it! IMO online gameplay is what will help the 360 the most in the console wars. I imagine if I buy a Wii, it will be for my wiife, not me...
Yea... because http://www.nintendowifi.com/ doesn't exist...
post #104 of 218
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedLeader
Yea... because http://www.nintendowifi.com/ doesn't exist...

He never said it didn't exist, he said they were late to the party. Oh, and 6 games makes for a huge presence in the online gaming world.
post #105 of 218
Considering the number of titles that are in development, the time it's been up and the fact that is only for a handheld console... I'd say thats pretty darn good. And I'm curious about the "party" that you're talking about. That would be Live and thats it am I right? Nintendo has proven that they can do online, and as soon as they release a home console with the same capabilities we shall see how it explodes. Oh, and look at the stats, somehow it seems as if Metroid Prime : Hunters has more people playing it than any other online game, including Counter Strike or Battlefield 2. Their online service must be horrid!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Misc.-Category Forums › Members' Lounge (General Discussion) › Wiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii!!!!