Head-Fi.org › Forums › Misc.-Category Forums › Members' Lounge (General Discussion) › Wiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii!!!!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Wiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii!!!! - Page 6

post #76 of 218
It would be great if they could price it at $200 even (or in consumer terms, $199), but I highly doubt they'll do that for a brand new console. It'll be sub-$300 for sure though. They'd be foolish not to price it that low. Then again, Nintendo has done some pretty foolish things in the past (Virtual Boy, cartridges for N64, price fixing way back in the day, and even to a small extent the GameCube).
post #77 of 218
Thread Starter 
If the Wii is anywhere near $300 at launch, I ain't touchin it.

The 360 offers so much more than just gimmicks.
My SNES, N64, and GC stilll work, so I don't need to pay for games that I already have.

And my TV pees on the non HD outputs of the Wii.

-Ed
post #78 of 218
Quote:
Originally Posted by Edwood
...Nintendo's goal to gain more casual gamers will work with the gimmicky Wii-mote, but it will alienate hardcore gamers.

-Ed
That brings up something I've been wondering... Does anyone know if you will be able to use a keyboard and mouse with the Wii?

Ever since Marathon first came out, I've preferred the keyboard/mouse combo for FPS gaming. Just tried playing Halo 2 on Xbox and had a really hard time aiming.

Just wondering, in case it turns out I don't like the Wii-mote.
post #79 of 218
Quote:
Originally Posted by Edwood
And my TV pees on the non HD outputs of the Wii.
Boo, it's not HD?
post #80 of 218
I told to myself not to buy a next gen console

But the wii really got my attention
post #81 of 218
the xbox360 is plain boring imo .
I've been not attracted on launch , not after playing with it . It offers really nothing that's rationally good and new enough and emotionally better then before .
Where's the news ?

The Wii at least will likely offer me some different perspective about having some fun with a videogame ; the ps3 is the killer graphic machine .
I don't see where the 360 is gonna go in 2007 in the case the Wii is a commercial success ( that's rather impossible ) .
post #82 of 218
Quote:
Originally Posted by Edwood
And my TV pees on the non HD outputs of the Wii.

-Ed

No HD output??? Again??


<scratches Wii off shopping list>
post #83 of 218
Quote:
Originally Posted by Edwood
I knew it.

The accelerometer and gyro more or less just respond to overall movement. So it's just a simple parlor trick for the Wii-mote.

I've seen so many people moving around like crazy, but for example, the Tennis game, the player moves automatically, and simple movement makes the player swing. Does not matter how it's moved, or where it's moved. Pretty lame.

And for FPS games, the Wii-mote requires line of sight with the sensor bar.

Hardcore gamers will get over the novelty very quickly, and get bored of the Wii very fast.

Nintendo's goal to gain more casual gamers will work with the gimmicky Wii-mote, but it will alienate hardcore gamers.

-Ed
I'm not sure where you heard all that but it's simply not true. Every impression I've seen of the Wii controller has explicitly stated that it's incredibly sensitive. It doesn't just respond to general motions; it keeps track of extremely fine details as well. In the tennis game, for example, swinging the controller differently will cause different swings of the racqet. For example, you can spike the ball or lob it, generate top spin or bottom spin etc... depending on your swinging motion.

Games like Warioware show of this great sensitivity really well. I saw footage of one minigame in which the player's goal was to balance an object on his on-screen hand simply by laying the controller flat in his palm and balancing it. Even the tiniest of movements caused a noticeable imbalance on the screen. The controller is incredibly accurate.


As far as FPS'es I'm not sure where you heard that about the line-of-sight but considering the Wii's sensor bar generally sits on top of the tv or below it, that's simply not the case. The exact details of the technology being used are still unknown but what we do know is that the console knows where you're aiming by combining the gyroscopic technology inside the controller (which gives you the angle) with the information gathered by the sensor bar (it measures how far away the controller is and in what direction), thereby telling the console exactly where you're pointing the controller.
post #84 of 218
In regards to the Wii graphics, I have started wondering if the problem lies more with the resolution restrictions. Not being HD and thus restricting themselves to 480P, really how good of graphics can you get with that resolution?
post #85 of 218
No HD... what are they thinking? That kills the Wii right there. The 360 looks so good on HD displays, it's almost worth the price just to see it! Boo!
post #86 of 218
I gotta admit edwood, your doing a good job of selling the wi

I'll start keeping an eye on it, I think i'll jump on it too since it'll probably be the least expensive console of the bunch and geared more towards fun/party games than the other consoles. The 360 does nothing for me and I'm not a fan of Sony consoles. I imagine the wi shouldn't be that expensive, didn't Nintendo state that its only a few more times powerful than the GC?
post #87 of 218
6-axis is the PS3 controller and the nunchuck, not the Wiimote. Get your facts right. And if all you want is eyecandy, why not just watch a movie if the gameplay doesn't matter to you. Saying HD is the be all and end all is IMHO pathetic. How many times can you play the same game with prettier particle effects and more realistic skin? I'm getting bored with gaming, and this is something new. And in terms of GCN power, look at RE4. Tell me that wasn't one of the nicest looking games in the current gen, and it ran silky smooth on the GCN. If they upgrade that look I'm not complaining.
post #88 of 218
This was posted on Penny-arcade. I thought it was hilarious. I hope this doesn't cross a line...


"You really must be joking. What names were rejected, that something like Wii remained vertical at the end of it?

The range of responses thus far have not been terribly surprising. It's the usual camps, really, and I don't know if these positions exist throughout all of human dialogue or if they are local to our merry band, but they are known to me. People who hate it because they hate X, people who hate it because it is not good, people who like it because other people hate it, people who like it because they are "above the fray," and people who like it because they like X. The first million times I saw this scene play out I could always find some piquant flavor in the proceedings, something that made each conflict unique. Now all I see is a kind of template superimposed over every motive, as though the argument were taking place between cells on a spreadsheet.

I'm uncomfortable with it because I think a word of alien origin like "Wii" is phonetically ambiguous for most people, but I doubt that I represent some genuine constituency. Nintendo clearly felt the name was so cryptic it required a Rosetta Stone alongside to contextualize it, which doesn't really speak to its deep strength or intuitive character. I believe, almost fervently, in their vision for the product - but I don't see any reason to do their public relations work for them. Enunciating each syllable clearly, I would call this moniker a profound error in judgement.

I'm aware that some people like it, or in any event they don't hate it. I am not those people, but I think that I can live in peace with them as long as they do not try and honestly suggest that the ******* name is emblematic of togetherness. What makes me mad isn't that Nintendo has chosen a name based on bizarre, interstellar philosophy. It's that they chose a name that was and is so readily used to obscure and discredit the imaginative power of the system.

Up until now, they've done an almost miraculous job maintaining enthusiasm for what is really a very unorthodox idea. To be honest, I sort of thought this would be the easy part."
http://www.penny-arcade.com/2006/04/28
post #89 of 218
is it an unorthodox name? yes.
did it create tons of hype and discussion? yes.
is it distinctive? yes.
is it easy to remember? yes.

Ask anyone that works in videogame retail if they've seen someone walk in and ask for halo on the gamestation, when in reality they want the xbox. Parents and people who don't care to keep up on everything will have no problems with this one.
post #90 of 218
Quote:
Originally Posted by iSleipnir
The range of responses thus far have not been terribly surprising. It's the usual camps, really, and I don't know if these positions exist throughout all of human dialogue or if they are local to our merry band, but they are known to me. People who hate it because they hate X, people who hate it because it is not good, people who like it because other people hate it, people who like it because they are "above the fray," and people who like it because they like X. The first million times I saw this scene play out I could always find some piquant flavor in the proceedings, something that made each conflict unique. Now all I see is a kind of template superimposed over every motive, as though the argument were taking place between cells on a spreadsheet.

I'm uncomfortable with it because I think a word of alien origin like "Wii" is phonetically ambiguous for most people, but I doubt that I represent some genuine constituency. Nintendo clearly felt the name was so cryptic it required a Rosetta Stone alongside to contextualize it, which doesn't really speak to its deep strength or intuitive character. I believe, almost fervently, in their vision for the product - but I don't see any reason to do their public relations work for them. Enunciating each syllable clearly, I would call this moniker a profound error in judgement.

I'm aware that some people like it, or in any event they don't hate it. I am not those people, but I think that I can live in peace with them as long as they do not try and honestly suggest that the ******* name is emblematic of togetherness. What makes me mad isn't that Nintendo has chosen a name based on bizarre, interstellar philosophy. It's that they chose a name that was and is so readily used to obscure and discredit the imaginative power of the system.

Up until now, they've done an almost miraculous job maintaining enthusiasm for what is really a very unorthodox idea. To be honest, I sort of thought this would be the easy part."
http://www.penny-arcade.com/2006/04/28
Is there a valid reason for me feeling guilty after reading this? I don't even know what he was talking about, but for some reason I thought he was angry at me...

As for what redleader said, I think he has somewhat of a point, but if the console I buy isn't taking advantage of advances in display technology (it's like buying a new videocard that doesn't support dvi) then I feel cheated. It SHOULD be state of the art. As the technology to display more lifelike and real looking graphics progresses, the ability to make more realistic and better games should follow, as it has.

If you were to be true to your argument, all you would need is a nintendo since all of the greatest games that have come out in the last few years (except for a few) started on the original nintendo! I am one of those guys who looks at games with great graphics and it makes me want to buy it even more.

I can't imagine a reason, except for cutting costs, to stray from wanting to take advantage of hi def displays. But if it works for Nintendo, all the more power to them, but what interest I had in the Wii, has dwindled considerably.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Misc.-Category Forums › Members' Lounge (General Discussion) › Wiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii!!!!