New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

New Innards For HeadRoom Amps - Page 14  

post #196 of 202
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamey
We have uploaded pictures of the Home internals
Cheat! That's no ordinary Home!

I'm curious about the differences in the power supply. They look similar, except for what appear to be diodes on the Home board have something in their place on the Max board designed to be heat-sinked. Are they just high current versions?
post #197 of 202
Those are high-speed rectifiers as opposed to your standard diode type. Capacitors are also upgraded.

Oh, and yes it is a 'pimped out home'.
post #198 of 202
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSloth
The gain settings are unchanged. The feedback circuit is controlled by discrete resistors on the main board, which remain unchanged with a module upgrade. The output of the new diamond buffer may reactly slightly different to real world headphone loads, however not significantly so.


Hmmmm..... All I know is, I've got to crank it a lot higher to get the same listening volume.
post #199 of 202
Quote:
Originally Posted by nspindel
Hmmmm..... All I know is, I've got to crank it a lot higher to get the same listening volume.
I vote either placebo or a change at the source end you didn't realise.

Remember that the gain is set at the voltage gain stage (preamp stage) which was basically unchanged in this revision, and the switch on the front panel is switching between resistors that sit on the main board of the amplifier, not on the module.

As I said, there may be small differences, but having to crank the volume 'a lot higher'? Also, remember that the potentiometer doesn't have an exact curve - in this case, if you used to listen at 1 or 2 o'clock, turning the pot all the way round to 5 o'clock won't make a large volume difference. That's a big difference in volume pot setting, but a very small difference in actual output.
post #200 of 202
I used to listen to my 650's with the gain switch on high, and the pot was at about 9:00. I now have it at about 11:00 - that's a bit much to be placebo.

I also have several sources, all of which experience the same effect.

Anyway, no big - it still sounds great
post #201 of 202
Quote:
Originally Posted by nspindel
I used to listen to my 650's with the gain switch on high, and the pot was at about 9:00. I now have it at about 11:00 - that's a bit much to be placebo.

I also have several sources, all of which experience the same effect.

Anyway, no big - it still sounds great
You use high gain for the 650 with a Micro DAC?! How loud do you listen? The HR DAC's have a high voltage output, so I only need to use low gain at a bit above the middle of the range of the pot for most things with the 650...
post #202 of 202
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSloth
You use high gain for the 650 with a Micro DAC?! How loud do you listen? The HR DAC's have a high voltage output, so I only need to use low gain at a bit above the middle of the range of the pot for most things with the 650...
Well, what's high gain used for if not for 300 ohm headphones

I do like it a bit on the loud side, but like I said, with my older Micro Amp, I only had it at about 9:00.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
This thread is locked