Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › The Last of the Qualias
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The Last of the Qualias - Page 4

post #46 of 65
Very early on (heh, over a year ago), I once said the SA5k was more detailed out of the two. I don't know if I agree with that now. There's a distinction between definition and resolution.

Best,

-Jason

Postscript: Heh, I hope it's clear tho, to SA5k owners, that I absolutely still love that can and believe it to be well worth the $600 I paid for it originally. I bought my 2nd set after I had already owned the 010. But darn it, the 010 just demands the majority of my headtime.
post #47 of 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjcha


When I sent mine back to Sony in Tokyo, they wanted me to pay for the repair. I told them that I was fine paying for the repair, but it was disappointing given the headphones were under 1 year old and that they had broken completely randomly and that I had taken good care of the headphones. After that reply they said that they'd fix it without charging me as it appeared I hadn't done anything to break it.

I must admit being somewhat surprised that I had to push back like this. It was not what I expected from the Qualia staff.
That's where they break. The interior support in the piece on the right simply stops. You can probably guess how I know

Qualia US at first wanted me to pay for the repair. They then proceded to send the headphone to the wrong repair center, who sent it back to me loose in a box, unrepaired, without any of the original packing I had sent with it. So, back it went again.

Sony wound up sending me a new headphone. There are people at Sony who do NOT want to see my phone number on their caller ID ever again.
post #48 of 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hirsch
They then proceded to send the headphone to the wrong repair center, who sent it back to me loose in a box, unrepaired, without any of the original packing I had sent with it. So, back it went again.
That's really bad customer services. Do SONY ever respect their customers?
post #49 of 65
Sigh. I'm tempted to take the 010 out of the bed rig then. I have a nagging feeling that even though I sleep flat on my back and don't turn much, there might have been enough twist or pressure over time to snap it. Though when they broke, I hadn't noticed at all till the next time I picked them up.

Hmm. I wonder if I can't reinforce it now to prevent it. As much as I do like the SA5k, I'd hate to have not have the 010 for my main headphone usage.

Sigh. Such bologna. Almost makes me want to replace the 010 with the K 1000 in the bed rig. Almost.

Best,

-Jason
post #50 of 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjcha
Sigh. I'm tempted to take the 010 out of the bed rig then. I have a nagging feeling that even though I sleep flat on my back and don't turn much, there might have been enough twist or pressure over time to snap it. Though when they broke, I hadn't noticed at all till the next time I picked them up.

Hmm. I wonder if I can't reinforce it now to prevent it. As much as I do like the SA5k, I'd hate to have not have the 010 for my main headphone usage.

Sigh. Such bologna. Almost makes me want to replace the 010 with the K 1000 in the bed rig. Almost.

Best,

-Jason
Yes, Sony is acting in a manner that defines the worst of deli meats out there. I think the k1000 needs to be moved and upgraded (cough...power amp)
post #51 of 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjcha
Sigh. Such bologna. Almost makes me want to replace the 010 with the K 1000 in the bed rig. Almost.
I do fall asleep in headphones, and am afraid to use the Qualia in the bedroom due to fragility. OTOH, the R10 is extremely durable, and among the more comfortable headphones to fall asleep in
post #52 of 65
congratulations man. I almost bid on the Qualias but I already very happy with my L3000. Let us know how do they sound after the break in period.


Purk
post #53 of 65
With the Qualia 010, fit is paramount, which relates directly to position on one's head when worn. Without this done properly, they are a strange sounding little sucker. But when it is correct, their resultant sound snaps into sharp focus, like an image on a Leica rangefinder, and (as Jason wrote above) they simply disappear from one's head, leaving only pure sound. Even the K1000's don't do that.

Those who took the time to get the right size, and use the right associated gear, were promised exemplary service for at least five years from Sony Corp for their physical & financial efforts. It's a shame that promise has gone the way of the Qualia line itself.
post #54 of 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpelg
With the Qualia 010, fit is paramount, which relates directly to position on one's head when worn. Without this done properly, they are a strange sounding little sucker. But when it is correct, their resultant sound snaps into sharp focus, like an image on a Leica rangefinder, and (as Jason wrote above) they simply disappear from one's head, leaving only pure sound. Even the K1000's don't do that.
That description is so perfect. This was exactly what I felt in my brief experience using them at a meet. It was the first time using headphones where I felt they completely disappeared (they were running balanced out of the same Dynamight that jjcha now owns). It was so weird to me because prior to that I only had the impression here that 90% of everyone who tries them thinks they suck.

It's a shame they are so persnickety regarding fit and position. Every time I came back to them at the meet, it took me a few moments to re-position them for optimal sound. And the resolution was so great that much of the poorly recorded pop/rock music I tried was harsh.
post #55 of 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by Borat
That description is so perfect. This was exactly what I felt in my brief experience using them at a meet. It was the first time using headphones where I felt they completely disappeared (they were running balanced out of the same Dynamight that jjcha now owns). It was so weird to me because prior to that I only had the impression here that 90% of everyone who tries them thinks they suck.

It's a shame they are so persnickety regarding fit and position. Every time I came back to them at the meet, it took me a few moments to re-position them for optimal sound. And the resolution was so great that much of the poorly recorded pop/rock music I tried was harsh.
*sigh* That makes me jealous! I've tried them many times now, on two different Dynamight rigs (and some other amps) and I just haven't been able to have that experience yet. It's starting to sound like some Zen right of passage!
post #56 of 65

No Dynahi required

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercuttio
*sigh* That makes me jealous! I've tried them many times now, on two different Dynamight rigs (and some other amps) and I just haven't been able to have that experience yet. It's starting to sound like some Zen right of passage!
My best experience with the 010's came out of the headphone jack on my Apogee Mini-DAC.

Up til then, all previous auditions with the Qualia left me gagging, and wondering what the fuss was all about. But the synergy between these two was undeniable, and I was a convert from that point forward. Or at least I understood what is so great about these unique headphones.

I suspect fit (ie. headband sizing) & position are more important than amp.
post #57 of 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpelg
My best experience with the 010's came out of the headphone jack on my Apogee Mini-DAC.

Up til then, all previous auditions with the Qualia left me gagging, and wondering what the fuss was all about. But the synergy between these two was undeniable, and I was a convert from that point forward. Or at least I understood what is so great about these unique headphones.

I suspect fit (ie. headband sizing) & position are more important than amp.
What a funny headphone. I kind of wonder if the resale value will ever go up like other top tier headphones... I doubt it can with such dependancies on fit. It's such an absolute shame that Sony won't be backing these up like they should... do they at least sell additional headbands etc so owners can have a backup?
post #58 of 65

Thoughts...

I've heard the Qualia (balanced even) sound like crap from the SDS-XLR and Dynamight and wonderful from the puny Benchmark DAC1 amplifier - in all cases the amplifier was NOT the culprit. The 'phones are simply the most fit-dependant I’ve ever encountered, which is sad considering their fit is also the most troublesome to adjust. The Qualia is the most resolving dynamic headphone I've ever heard and quite possibly exhibits the best bass I've ever heard from ANY headphone (HE90 included). However, I like my euphony so the R10 and HE90 (especially) are still my favorites. I suppose if I had an SDS-XLR and an R10 (not to mention an ES1 and HE90) I’d probably buy a Qualia and perfect its fit for my head (I need a small) and buy one of Alex’s balanced Qualia cables. I understand the Qualia’s appeal (and lack thereof); while it would not be my main dynamic ‘phone it would be an interesting flavor for those days where I seek ultimate fidelity with limited coloration…
post #59 of 65
I agree it's not the amp. I've heard it sound good on both my Grace m902, my humble AE-1 and Dynamight. And bad on my Grace m902, AE-1 and Dynamight.

But, I might disagree with it being entirely about fit. I'm sure fit plays a role. But I say this because mine fits fine, and I better darned well know how to position it by now. But still, from time to time, it sounds shrieky, hollow, even echoey sometimes. For me, I can't help but think it's acclimatization, because these moments usually come after I haven't listened to it for a while.

Jealous wench, ain't she? She's a demanding mistress...

Best,

-Jason
post #60 of 65

...

I've never experienced a PERFECT fit (never worn the "small" variant, and I wasn’t about to modify the Qualia I was borrowing – see Alex I DO care about your gear) so I cannot really empathize, Jason. Perhaps a millimeter movement of one's jaw could displace the fit and the infamous echo is unleashed; I've only removed that nasty characteristic ONCE from the Qualia and finally I understood what others had been enjoying. I will NOT argue that the Qualia is certainly a headphone that requires a relatively long psychological acclimation period (at least in my own experience) before true enjoyment can commence - the Qualia always sounds leaner and thinner than the HE90 to me (and even compared to the R10, especially in the midrange), but that same leanness quality contains positive connotations for certain music/mood, etc. I’m still a fan of a thicker, "lusher" midrange (HE90: damnit I cannot express this obsession enough).
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › The Last of the Qualias