Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Dedicated Source Components › Mhdt Lab Paradisea and Constantine DAC gets rave review
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Mhdt Lab Paradisea and Constantine DAC gets rave review - Page 3

post #31 of 89
Oh, I feel so silly - JayDeeCee already posted in this thread that the D02 is better...than the DialogueII, though, which I don't think is really a fair comparison. So thanks JayDeeCee for some input! But I think that the Ren/Paradisea are what really should be compared...so that's what I hope someone will be able to offer. Thanks!
post #32 of 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyface View Post
Oh, I feel so silly - JayDeeCee already posted in this thread that the D02 is better...
Ah, but you see, that's where you are wrong!

The D02 was much worse, because:
A) The maker of it did a horrible job with soldering.
B) The parts were known to fall apart
C) Ken Law fell off the face of the planet after a few people started having problems (and this wasn't the first time), and thus the D02 had no warrenty support at all. What most people got, was a heavy box that had broken parts which they could do nothing about. Some tried to go to a DIY store to fix the shobby work of Ken Law, but that cost them a lot of money.
D) Buying something from Ken Law, after KNOWING he stole money from all those poor unfortunate people, is just unthinkable.

You buy something from MHdt labs, and look, nothing is falling off, it doesn't have sonic problems like clicks and loud pops, or the dreaded signal cutout in the middle of music. Best of all, it's backed by MHdt, who's customer support is first rate.

Speaking of which, while you bring up the topic of Ken Law products, you should have a look at this thread as well:
http://www.head-fi.org/forums/showthread.php?t=193330
It outlines even more problems with Ken Law.

Cheers mate.
post #33 of 89
I wasn't trying to "bring [all of this] up"! I'm not trying to start arguments or flames! Don't blame me! I just wanted to know what sounded better!
The Pandora seems well-received so far, so I think my interest is acceptable. If people were having the same problems with the new Pandora, then of course I'd drop it from the realm of possible upgrades.

I still have not heard a tube-based DAC. Is there any software for my computer that will simulate a tube in the system so that i can know whether I should get a tube-based DAC or SS? I just have no idea what kind of impact tubes really have on the sound.
post #34 of 89
^^^When I first read his post I reacted the same way as you. He does sound a bit angry but he has some relevant points about the build quality that you may not have known.

I'd also be interested in how they SOUND compared to each other, though.
post #35 of 89
Towert7, nothing has been 'stolen' from anyone. Notice that the mods closed Elnero's thread because it reached a satisfactory result to both parties involved (only the TWO involved). You posted when you have absolutely no relation to Storm's business. I can assume your paying out Storm because you like your DAC (which is completely valid), but you don't really know anything about Storm. I expect you haven't heard it. Anyway, there are currently 7 or so Head-Fiers waiting on Storm DACs and all of them have expressed that they are happy to wait a little longer now that they can see the product is obviously real (which you seem to have completely missed). All previous design issues have been corrected - the Pandora was redesigned explicitly for that purpose, as well as a healthy shot in the arm WRT the sound quality.

HAHAHAH "kid from another country". Amusing.

By the way mate, what does "rought in hell" mean exactly? Get out from under that bridge.
post #36 of 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by rincewind View Post
Towert7, nothing has been 'stolen' from anyone. Notice that the mods closed Elnero's thread because it reached a satisfactory result to both parties involved (only the TWO involved). You posted when you have absolutely no relation to Storm's business. I can assume your paying out Storm because you like your DAC (which is completely valid), but you don't really know anything about Storm. I expect you haven't heard it. Anyway, there are currently 7 or so Head-Fiers waiting on Storm DACs and all of them have expressed that they are happy to wait a little longer now that they can see the product is obviously real (which you seem to have completely missed). All previous design issues have been corrected - the Pandora was redesigned explicitly for that purpose, as well as a healthy shot in the arm WRT the sound quality.

HAHAHAH "kid from another country". Amusing.

By the way mate, what does "rought in hell" mean exactly? Get out from under that bridge.

rincewind, you seen to support Ken's business practices... how sad.
Either case, there is enough fair warning on this site saying "don't buy anything from ken law, ever", so I feel sorry for anyone who actually does.
post #37 of 89
Thanks for your pity, I was running a little short! :P

I feel sorry for those who seem unable to understand facts and events occurring around them in plain view. And I feel sorry for the OP since this thread has been completely derailed by YOU.
post #38 of 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazyface
I wasn't trying to "bring [all of this] up"! I'm not trying to start arguments or flames! Don't blame me! I just wanted to know what sounded better!
Crazyface, sorry about coming off as being very harsh (which I was). I shouldn't have been so outright forthcoming.

I don't know, what happened last time around left a bad taste in my mouth and so it's a touchy subject for me. No hard feelings against you though.
post #39 of 89
Well good to see that got sorted !!

Towert7; thanks for your private message about the cables, I am in the UK, have popped into town, however were crappy cables, so will look online.

Also how long was it from when you ordered your Mhdt Lab Paradisea DAC and when it arrived? I fix PCs normally, so have got loads of power cables, but does it have one inc?

Ta buddy.

O3ric
post #40 of 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by o3ric View Post
Well good to see that got sorted !!

Towert7; thanks for your private message about the cables, I am in the UK, have popped into town, however were crappy cables, so will look online.

Also how long was it from when you ordered your Mhdt Lab Paradisea DAC and when it arrived? I fix PCs normally, so have got loads of power cables, but does it have one inc?

Ta buddy.

O3ric
Hi O3ric. It does not come with any cables unless you ordered some from them (not even power cables).

Mine arrived from Taiwan to the USA in something like 2-3 days. They shiped EMS and it's SOO fast. EMS has expediated routes from Taiwan to the US though, and I'm not sure how fast it is to other countries who are not on the expediated routes.
post #41 of 89
Towert7;

Ah OK, mine might have gone through Royal Mail (UK end), which Thursday and Friday were on strike, see ordered on Monday, however nothing has turned up
post #42 of 89
Could someone who has extensive experience with the Paradisea+ please describe its "tube warmth"? Some people dislike tubes because they make sound too tubey, too warm, etc. So is there much difference between the Paradisea's tube warmth and others?
post #43 of 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyface View Post
Could someone who has extensive experience with the Paradisea+ please describe its "tube warmth"? Some people dislike tubes because they make sound too tubey, too warm, etc. So is there much difference between the Paradisea's tube warmth and others?
How it sounds depends on what tube is used. However, you will probably find that since it's a NOS DAC, with a tube acting as a buffer, that it won't be as 'digital' as other dacs, though it's still got very nice detail resolution.
post #44 of 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by Towert7 View Post
How it sounds depends on what tube is used. However, you will probably find that since it's a NOS DAC, with a tube acting as a buffer, that it won't be as 'digital' as other dacs, though it's still got very nice detail resolution.
From my experience the two best have been the Bendix 6385 and the Tungsol 5670 respectively. I was not that taken by the WE396A nor by the stock GE5670.
But sadly, it now appears that the best sounding tube for the Paradisea may be no tube at all. I heard from reliable sources that bypassing the tube buffer will yield more detail, tighter bass and a better soundstage without sacrificing the warmth.
post #45 of 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turn&cough View Post
But sadly, it now appears that the best sounding tube for the Paradisea may be no tube at all. I heard from reliable sources that bypassing the tube buffer will yield more detail, tighter bass and a better soundstage without sacrificing the warmth.
Really?
I hope someone who's tried that will post here! If it's true then that pretty well decides the SS vs tube debate I've been contending with in my preparation for buying a DAC
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Dedicated Source Components
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Dedicated Source Components › Mhdt Lab Paradisea and Constantine DAC gets rave review