Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Cables, Power, Tweaks, Speakers, Accessories (DBT-Free Forum) › Anyone got an AudioLineOut line-out?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Anyone got an AudioLineOut line-out? - Page 4

post #46 of 216
Quote:
Originally Posted by tnmike1
Looking at the Blingbling vs. the copper LOD from Ken. For $45 they seem a bargain for my gym workouts in a Headroom bag with Portaphile and Ipod. Usual cable is Silver Dragon.

Now the question: which has the better sound? Soundstage, overall presence, etc.?? I know how silver sounds, since I have the Dragon, but am totally unfamiliar with copper. Help please
For Gym workouts, I would recommend the copper. The sound is fuller and the copper itself is more flexible, so less likely to fatigue and break from constant flexing. You might send him an email and ask ask about a multi-stranded copper since that would be best from a durability/flexibility standpoint.
post #47 of 216
Quote:
Originally Posted by kwkarth
At this point, for lack of better words, I would say that the silk dock has a little more of that "ringing" characteristic that I hear with the silver dock than does the cotton. The cotton dock has absolutely all of the extension and detail of the silver, but is so completely controlled, whereas the silver dock seems to be "wild" and undamped in the extreme high end.
Two questions, kwkarth:

1. Comparisons to the silk, copper and cotton docks aside, does the silver dock sound far better to you than other non-audiolineout dock solutions you've heard?

I ask because I'll be sending in my iPod photo for a redwine mod. Thus, I'd only ever use the audiolineout all-nude silver dock with my present 3G or whatever newPod I bought in a moment of materialusticism (please allow me to wipe off that neologism stain on your lapel).

2. Is it likely that your misgivings about the silver dock's highs might have something to do with being of a certain age? I'm not quite there yet, but I will be, of course, and have been told by an audiologist that certain highs grow more distasteful, that the ringing quality of which you complain can become more evident.

This might not be true at all in your case, of course; nor should it imply some sort of arbitrary prejudice, which would be inhumane as well as idiotic -- age discrimination is self-hatred in a time machine. Only, I'm trying to determine whether the brightness and "ringing" which give you pause might sound so abrasive to me as to render an upgrade unnecessary. After all, I own a Turbodock already and, for the mome, am putting the scarlet springing member cap on higher priced cables.
post #48 of 216
Quote:
Originally Posted by scrypt
Two questions, kwkarth:

1. Comparisons to the silk, copper and cotton docks aside, does the silver dock sound far better to you than other non-audiolineout dock solutions you've heard?

I ask because I'll be sending in my iPod photo for a redwine mod. Thus, I'd only ever use the audiolineout all-nude silver dock with my present 3G or whatever newPod I bought in a moment of materialusticism (please allow me to wipe off that neologism stain on your lapel).

2. Is it likely that your misgivings about the silver dock's highs might have something to do with being of a certain age? I'm not quite there yet, but I will be, of course, and have been told by an audioloiogist that certain highs grow more distasteful, that the ringing quality of which you complain can become more evident.

This might not be true at all in your case, of course; nor should it imply some sort of arbitrary prejudice, which would be inhumane as well as idiotic:-- age discrimination is self-hatred in a time machine. Only, I'm trying to determine whether the brightness and "ringing" which give you pause would sound so abrasive as to render an upgrade unnecessary. After all, I own a Turbodock already and, for the mome, am putting the scarlet springing member cap on higher priced cables.
To my ears, from memory, the silver dock sounds very similar to the Qables line out dock. They both strike me as missing the bottom end fullness and as having a tendency to sound "ringy" at the top end.

With regard to a correlation between age related hearing loss and the characteristic sound of silver interconnects, I would say no, because if any such correlation were to exist, I would expect it to be a reverse correlation. That is to say, as one ages, one looses the ability to hear the highest frequencies, therefore lessening one's sensitivity to high frequency anomalies. I don't know where your audiologist got their information, but I've never heard of any phenomenon like that before, unless it was related to some sort of auditory nerve or inner ear cilia damage

Further musings on the sound of silver...
I had always thought that the published articles decrying the "badness" of silver for audio interconnects was suspect. In my mind, I could never rationalize that thought. From my own revelations from listening to the ALO products I have to say, that there were certainly unpleasant zingy/ringy and thinness qualities, albeit subtle, to the silver interconnects when compared to the copper ones.

How does one explain then, the complete lack of that ringy/zingy character in the cotton and silk docks which use identical conductors and geometry, but different insulators and conductor to conductor spacing? My only conclusion can be that the dielectric constant characteristics and physical spacing between conductors and those concomitant effects upon the electromagnetic field interference and electrostatic energy storage between and by the conductors themselves is responsible.

So, my friend, FWIW, my crackpot theory $0.02.

No umbrage taken WRT age related hearing loss. I will freely admit, mine is not what it used to be. The 15750Hz horizontal oscillator frequency of a typical TV used to drive my nutz if I was in a room with one, but now, if I could find a conventional CRT based TV with a conventional horizontal flyback xformer and yoke, I'm sure it wouldn't bother me nearly as much.

Cheerz!
post #49 of 216
anybody order a Cryo Dock?
post #50 of 216
Yeah I ordered one the other day. I hope to have It Monday. Ken made the following comments on the cable:

"These are my all around best Line Out
Cable we make because of the durability over solid
silver and the great sound. These are very unique
cables, each conductor is comprised of 50 99.9999%
pure copper strands, encased in Teflon then
Cryogenically treated. They are extremely durable
and will resist breakage."

They go for $85 plus postage. Considering they are priced close to the silk & cotton docks, i'm hoping they are just as good.

Click the link to see a pic

http://www.audiolineout.com/cryocopper1.jpg
post #51 of 216
Quote:
Originally Posted by lostbobby
anybody order a Cryo Dock?

I've had one for a few weeks now. Ken sent it to me to try out at a really good price. I also have a cotton dock as well as a silk dock and a 24 inch cotton to RCA for my Dared MP5 amp. The cotton and silk are fantastic, I've never heard better. They sound very close to one another, as Kwkarth states. I really have to agree with him on all counts. I am completly hooked on them. Comming from a Pocketdock and a Monster mini to mini, the cotton and silk sound very much like an incrementel amp upgrade. I use them with a Xin Supermini III and Ety ER- 4P/S. As it turns out I needed something ultra portable and Ken, knowing my tastes, sent me this little jewel.

So, how does the Cyro Dock sound up against these two instant classics? Fantastic. Almost there. What I mean is, it has all the highs and lows of the cotton and silk. All of them. The highs are sparkling like a silver wire(remember this is stranded copper) with none of that ringing that Kwkarth describes hearing with the Bling Bling. Compared to the cotton, the lows are all there, right to the bottom. The mids are silky smooth correct, as is the cotton. I can't seem to find any difference in perceived volume in the lows, mids, and highs when comparing all three cables. All three are very transparent. The only real difference I hear is in the soundstage being slightly less open, but not collapsed by any means. Remember, I am comparing this cable to the cotton. The only time I am aware of it is direct comparison. When I listen to this cable I've got to swap it with the cotton just to double check that this is not an illusion. The difference is that small. The tradeoff? Slight soundstage reduction for the ultimate in portability, looks, and sound.

In my opinion, Ken has a real winner with this cable. It sounds really close to the cotton and silk. I've always been a silver guy, but this is the cable I use for my ulta portable rig. And I don't ever miss the cotton! I hope this helps.
post #52 of 216
Hi, I have been contemplating getting the iMod done to my iPod, but reading the reviews of these docks from ALO, I am having some second thoughts. Has anyone had the chance to listen and compare the Silk/Cotton/Cryo Docks to an iModded iPod?

If the docks get pretty close, then I think I would go for that over the twice-as-expensive iMod. I would also be able to maintain my headphone out intact for those times without an amp.

Thanks for any info. -CK
post #53 of 216

IMOD Vs IPOD + Dock which is best???

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhirnigs113
Hi, I have been contemplating getting the iMod done to my iPod, but reading the reviews of these docks from ALO, I am having some second thoughts. Has anyone had the chance to listen and compare the Silk/Cotton/Cryo Docks to an iModded iPod?

If the docks get pretty close, then I think I would go for that over the twice-as-expensive iMod. I would also be able to maintain my headphone out intact for those times without an amp.

Thanks for any info. -CK

I would think the IMOD should be an improvement over the silk/cotton/cryo docks because the IMOD simplifies the signal path after the DAC in the IPOD and also upgrades the coupling capacitors but I too would be interested in a comparison between a IPOD/Dock/AMP/phones set up and the IMOD/AMP/Phones set up.

The set up with standard IPOD and dock would certainly be more flexible as you say because it means you can still plug into IPOD headphone jack when you need to.
post #54 of 216
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhirnigs113
Hi, I have been contemplating getting the iMod done to my iPod, but reading the reviews of these docks from ALO, I am having some second thoughts. Has anyone had the chance to listen and compare the Silk/Cotton/Cryo Docks to an iModded iPod?

If the docks get pretty close, then I think I would go for that over the twice-as-expensive iMod. I would also be able to maintain my headphone out intact for those times without an amp.

Thanks for any info. -CK
Does anyone have both a iMod ipod and a 5G? I would be willing to shoot them a cable for a spin and a little comparo.

Cheers,
Ken
post #55 of 216
I would be willing to bet there's little difference, and very possibly the Red Wine mod may even sound worse.

After all, the design of the iPod shows that *some* thought went into the sonics.

I would also question the Red Wine mod on the 5g because removing the line out buffer from the signal path exposes the DAC directly to external screw ups, whereas the buffer can be designed to be more robust and resistant to shorts, etc. I would assume the output of the DAC is loaded/impedance matched properly to drive the buffers without the undue signal corruption that would arise from an improper impedance match when directly driving an external load of unknown value through an interconnect of unknown value.

In other words, the line out buffer probably has a relatively low output impedance to make it more immune to unpredictable loads. One looses this protection and benefit with the Red Wine mod.

Just my conjecture...
post #56 of 216
My Bling Bling just arrived today! Great service Ken!

Unfortunately my amp has not yet arrived so I can't start breaking it in.

But the quality of construction is obvious, it's beautiful!

I took the time to apply some DeOxit to both ends of the dock and to my iPod's jack.

Now just waiting on the amp!
post #57 of 216
Quote:
Originally Posted by kwkarth
I would also question the Red Wine mod on the 5g because...
As of right now, there is no option to get the iMod on the 5g iPod. It is only available on the 4g models.

Has there been a conclusion reached on whether these AL0 docks sound better coming from the 4g or 5g iPods? I know the headphone out is better on the 5g, but I don't think this has any effect on the line-out. I have heard the 4g iPod has a better DAC, but I am not sure. -CK
post #58 of 216
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhirnigs113
As of right now, there is no option to get the iMod on the 5g iPod. It is only available on the 4g models.

Has there been a conclusion reached on whether these AL0 docks sound better coming from the 4g or 5g iPods? I know the headphone out is better on the 5g, but I don't think this has any effect on the line-out. I have heard the 4g iPod has a better DAC, but I am not sure. -CK
Now I remember reading that on their web site. Thanks for setting that straight.

I like your idea of doing a shoot out between the 4G and 5G iPods. That would be interesting.
post #59 of 216
I've read that this LineOut makes the iPod sounds better than an external DAC? The iPod's internal DAC is better than a $100+ external dac?! Are you guys serious?

Maybe I should sell my Fubar and just pick up one of these.....
post #60 of 216
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevC
I've read that this LineOut makes the iPod sounds better than an external DAC? The iPod's internal DAC is better than a $100+ external dac?! Are you guys serious?

Maybe I should sell my Fubar and just pick up one of these.....
Let your ears be the judge.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Cables, Power, Tweaks, Speakers, Accessories (DBT-Free Forum) › Anyone got an AudioLineOut line-out?