Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Source Gear › Best sounding MP3-player
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Best sounding MP3-player - Page 8

post #106 of 143
For the price and for buds there are a lot of worse buds than the MX500's. Obviously its at the bottom of the HiFi food chain, but then there are compromises to be made, not just for budget but for the enviroment in which you are in. I like them myself for work, because I need to hear the enviroment, and I don't care if they get stolen.
post #107 of 143
Quote:
Originally Posted by SgtE
"We", is that all ipod-fanboys or what? I can sure hold my head up high without your/their blessing!

Well, you did say "you guys". It's true I can't speak for everyone. I can speak for myself, and I've outlined that the Monolith Premium MX7000 has no better sound quality in comparison to the iPod Video. In fact, in some ways it might well be worse. You see, not everyone here is an iPod fanboy because they have an iPod. Some like me have the iPod because they have bought practically everything else and it still stands up to scrutiny when you actually get past the fanboy factor, and when you do (as you purport to do) listen without EQ.


The Monolith is, as I've said, a decent sounding MP3 player which the manufacturer has played the numbers game to convince the easily led (exhibit A: you) into believing it's somehow better. And that's just the sonic aspects of the Monolith... let's not get into the badly designed controls, etc.


It's the reason why I call bull@#$% when I see posts like yours... In comparison I'm definitely not the fanboy here.


Look familiar?
post #108 of 143
This forum is full of ZVM or iPod fanboys - it does not mater what player you use - as long as you are happy with it - everyone's ears are different.
post #109 of 143
No-one's against anyone saying "I think X sounds really good, better then Y" if their opinion is firsthand and it is open to discussion. For far too many, the opinion is clearly secondhand and they have this nerdy prejudice.
post #110 of 143
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by zool
SgtE,

Sorry but I have to agree with Bangraman here.. I have owned mx500 buds and they are totally crap from top to bottom. Build quality is **** and so is the sound. If sound quality is so important to you then you wouldn't be using the mx500 to begin with.

At least I wouldn't trust myself to make a valid judgement on any source/player with the mx500's. And that's my honest opinion, I am not a ipod fanboy, don't even own one.

Eh what????? When the h*ll did I say that I use mx500??? I have NEVER said that I use mx500!!!! I gave another guy in here a tip - he was interested in the monolith and he uses mx500 and I told him they will not make justice to the monolith.... you better read the posts before coming on to me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zool
EDIT: omg you can't say sh1t here? hehe
...fool...
post #111 of 143
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by bangraman
Well, you did say "you guys". It's true I can't speak for everyone. I can speak for myself, and I've outlined that the Monolith Premium MX7000 has no better sound quality in comparison to the iPod Video. In fact, in some ways it might well be worse. You see, not everyone here is an iPod fanboy because they have an iPod. Some like me have the iPod because they have bought practically everything else and it still stands up to scrutiny when you actually get past the fanboy factor, and when you do (as you purport to do) listen without EQ.
So you have compared them both (as have I)?. How did you compare them? In what way do you think the ipodhas better sq?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bangraman
The Monolith is, as I've said, a decent sounding MP3 player which the manufacturer has played the numbers game to convince the easily led (exhibit A: you) into believing it's somehow better. And that's just the sonic aspects of the Monolith... let's not get into the badly designed controls, etc.
I have never said that the monolith is well built, in fact, I recon I have said the contrary all along. I still think that the sq is the most important thing in a portable player though, and I still think the monolith is better than ipod, soundwise.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bangraman
It's the reason why I call bull@#$% when I see posts like yours... In comparison I'm definitely not the fanboy here.
As far as I'm concerned, you say/talk bull@#$% a little too often. And, I am not a fanboy of monolith. Only of its sq. If I find something better then monolith - I will probably become fan of that players sq.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bangraman
Look familiar?
nooo, you shouldn't have picked the black one, it is damn ugly...
post #112 of 143
Quote:
Originally Posted by SgtE
So you have compared them both (as have I)?.
I own them both.

Quote:
How did you compare them?
That's a very good question so let me tell you a bit about it.


How do I do a comparison?

After the initial familiarisation of a week or two with a new player, I might set up the comparison test rig. The aim of the test rig is to reduce subjectivity. As you can see all over the board, people hear “night & day” differences based on small changes in volume even out of the same source, if they think there should be a difference. I make it a point not to assume anything.


So, there are three components of the test rig:

+ Sony Qualia 010 headphones. Why do I use the Qualia? It is so incredibly easy to judge relative sound quality from a more analytical aspect with these phones as they are very accurate, are very strong in terms of overall tonal representation (in spite of having a timbre that doesn’t work successfully with every music genre), and while their soundstaging can be rather alien, relatively speaking once again they lay out differences very, very clearly. With a 70 ohm impedance and a 100db/mw efficiency rating these are very easily powered by the more powerful portables. The Qualia is where I do the main comparison. However my IEM, the Ultimate Ears UE-10Pro gets also used in testing because portables can differ in sonic performance when subjected to phones with different electrical characteristics. For more realistic results as far as the larger number of users are concerned, I may also test with other IEM's I have such as the Etymotic ER-6i, Shure E2c, etc as well as 'regular' headphones such as the Sennheiser PX200.

+ RMAA. The main point of using RMAA in this instance is to assist in making sure that both portables being compared are being used at the same volume. The frequency response test (with headpone in the loop) and the calibration test is used to make sure both portables are playing at the same levels.

+ Audio Switch. To switch between the level-matched sources.

Identical 3.5mm > 2RCA cables (Qunex J2P) are used for connecting both players together. One switch is made in the middle of a test track chosen to highlight certain characteristics and changes noted down. If necessary, the in-track switch is repeated by playing the track again. The test is repeated for other test tracks.


After that, I spend at least a couple of weeks but usually a month with the player in question getting to know it well. If opinions change / additional things crop up, the notes get adjusted. Then I decide whether to keep it, sell it, give it away, or in some cases return to the manufacturer depending on how I acquired the player. And in certain situations, I’ll run additional physical / other tests on a player as the writeup for the manufacturer demands.


Hopefully I won't have to explain this again...
*****************************************

I have notes on the Monolith and frankly speaking I didn't think it a player worth writing about in particular, as in terms of sonics / specifications (apart from the case) / usability I didn't think it was a particular standout. I certainly don't agree with the hype being generated by some about this player, although it is a decent machine overall. I wasn't going to do so, but I'll embellish the notes and knock out a review specially for you in the near future
post #113 of 143
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by bangraman
I own them both.



That's a very good question so let me tell you a bit about it.


How do I do a comparison?

After the initial familiarisation of a week or two with a new player, I might set up the comparison test rig. The aim of the test rig is to reduce subjectivity. As you can see all over the board, people hear “night & day” differences based on small changes in volume even out of the same source, if they think there should be a difference. I make it a point not to assume anything.


So, there are three components of the test rig:

+ Sony Qualia 010 headphones. Why do I use the Qualia? It is so incredibly easy to judge relative sound quality from a more analytical aspect with these phones as they are very accurate, are very strong in terms of overall tonal representation (in spite of having a timbre that doesn’t work successfully with every music genre), and while their soundstaging can be rather alien, relatively speaking once again they lay out differences very, very clearly. With a 70 ohm impedance and a 100db/mw efficiency rating these are very easily powered by the more powerful portables. The Qualia is where I do the main comparison. However my IEM, the Ultimate Ears UE-10Pro gets also used in testing because portables can differ in sonic performance when subjected to phones with different electrical characteristics. For more realistic results as far as the larger number of users are concerned, I may also test with other IEM's I have such as the Etymotic ER-6i, Shure E2c, etc as well as 'regular' headphones such as the Sennheiser PX200.

+ RMAA. The main point of using RMAA in this instance is to assist in making sure that both portables being compared are being used at the same volume. The frequency response test (with headpone in the loop) and the calibration test is used to make sure both portables are playing at the same levels.

+ Audio Switch. To switch between the level-matched sources.

Identical 3.5mm > 2RCA cables (Qunex J2P) are used for connecting both players together. One switch is made in the middle of a test track chosen to highlight certain characteristics and changes noted down. If necessary, the in-track switch is repeated by playing the track again. The test is repeated for other test tracks.


After that, I spend at least a couple of weeks but usually a month with the player in question getting to know it well. If opinions change / additional things crop up, the notes get adjusted. Then I decide whether to keep it, sell it, give it away, or in some cases return to the manufacturer depending on how I acquired the player. And in certain situations, I’ll run additional physical / other tests on a player as the writeup for the manufacturer demands.


Hopefully I won't have to explain this again...
*****************************************

I have notes on the Monolith and frankly speaking I didn't think it a player worth writing about in particular, as in terms of sonics / specifications (apart from the case) / usability I didn't think it was a particular standout. I certainly don't agree with the hype being generated by some about this player, although it is a decent machine overall. I wasn't going to do so, but I'll embellish the notes and knock out a review specially for you in the near future
Wow, thanks!
post #114 of 143
I wonder if sports car owners do this? Hmmm

bangraman....how's the blog? *cough cough*
post #115 of 143
Quote:
Originally Posted by jagorev
So you have never heard it, but you're sure it will be better than the iPod, so you're searching for info to prove that prejudgement.

Utter BS.
What so BS about wat i wrote ? Samsung SQ is better than Ipod that's for sure. Why make such a statement? You are a Headphoneus Supremus but dun act like one.

You people should try to accept the fact the Ipod SQ is not as good. Why be so stubborn and ignorant with this fact? Why be so patriotic to apple? There are so many other players you have to consider, not just ipod.

Personally I do like ipod because of its design, wide screen, thin and its capabilty of storing 60G of memory. However, its SQ is not as good compared to many other players such as Samsung,Cowon,Iriver,monolith etc. Every player has its positive and negative sides. Like for the case of Cowon X5, its line out is no good and its screen is not as large as ipods.

I belive it all depends on a person needs. What I care is the SQ that is why I am not going to buy Ipod.

Im not trying to offend Ipod users. Ipod has not meet my expectation but if you find it good enough for yourself and has met your needs than its all fine. Why need to bother what other people are saying on Ipod?
post #116 of 143
I'm sorry, but I agree with jagorev. The Samsung's sound quality is better than the iPod because it's better than the iPod? Your argument is conclusory and states absolutely nothing meaningful. It's astounding how the anti-ipod campaign distorts perceptions around here. Case in point, I remember when the iAudio U3 came out that there were several posts saying that the U3 had unbelieveable sound quality and that anyone who cared about sound quality should buy one. Well, I bought one and also happened to have a 5g iPod. The 5g iPod had such noticeably better refinement and detail that it would boggle my mind if someone were to conclude that the U3 offered better sound quality after a direct comparison with the iPod. And yet, because it's an iAudio and iAudio is perceived by many as being the holy grail of portable sound quality, the U3 is viewed as being an excellent-sounding mp3 player while the 5g iPod still does not get the respect it deserves. The fact of the matter is, while your argument that the iPod has inferior sound may have had some merit in the past with pre-5g iPods, that's not the case anymore. I won't say that the iPod has the best sound, but it's no longer in a lower tier when it comes to sound quality.
post #117 of 143
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbintoro
Samsung SQ is better than Ipod that's for sure. Why make such a statement?
Because you have no way of knowing this. I am not stating on opinion on whether or not it is, in fact, better or worse. I am saying that you should not make such absolutist statements without first experiencing both players. You can't judge the Samsung to be better before you've even tried it out. Even after you have heard them both, the only way to judge audio quality between these two is subjective - you can hold whatever opinion you like, but let's not pretend like that's some certain scientific conclusion.
post #118 of 143
Wad do you mean?? I have listened to 5g ipod before and its EQ is worst... I like to use bass boost, and all I heard is distortion.. EQ should have worked like Cowon,Iriver etc. I went to the Ipod shop and ask their representative, they did not give me any solid reason and end up blaming the headphone I used. I told them when I am using my headphone on my computer with bass boost on itunes/creative no distortion is heard. It the end they are speechless....Without the EQ its boring.. its so flat and the bass is so low....Furthermore I cant seem to find Custom EQ unlike many other players...
So what's so good about it ? I only like its design,large screen and its reputation. I guess its reputation is so high that many people are ignoring its downsides. Im not trying to create an anti-ipod campaign, I just want to tell you guys there are so many other players which you may consider and not just stick to Ipod.
post #119 of 143
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbintoro
Wad do you mean?? I have listened to 5g ipod before and its EQ is worst... I like to use bass boost, and all I heard is distortion.. EQ should have worked like Cowon,Iriver etc. I went to the Ipod shop and ask their representative, they did not give me any solid reason and end up blaming the headphone I used. I told them when I am using my headphone on my computer with bass boost on itunes/creative no distortion is heard. It the end they are speechless....Without the EQ its boring.. its so flat and the bass is so low....Furthermore I cant seem to find Custom EQ unlike many other players...
So what's so good about it ? I only like its design,large screen and its reputation. I guess its reputation is so high that many people are ignoring its downsides. Im not trying to create an anti-ipod campaign, I just want to tell you guys there are so many other players which you may consider and not just stick to Ipod.
Sigh. It is illogical to make up your mind about the Samsung being better because you haven't heard the Samsung.
post #120 of 143
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbintoro
Wad do you mean?? I have listened to 5g ipod before and its EQ is worst... I like to use bass boost, and all I heard is distortion.. EQ should have worked like Cowon,Iriver etc. I went to the Ipod shop and ask their representative, they did not give me any solid reason and end up blaming the headphone I used. I told them when I am using my headphone on my computer with bass boost on itunes/creative no distortion is heard. It the end they are speechless....Without the EQ its boring.. its so flat and the bass is so low....Furthermore I cant seem to find Custom EQ unlike many other players...
So what's so good about it ? I only like its design,large screen and its reputation. I guess its reputation is so high that many people are ignoring its downsides. Im not trying to create an anti-ipod campaign, I just want to tell you guys there are so many other players which you may consider and not just stick to Ipod.
Having an effective custom EQ does not automatically translate into better sound quality. Your critique of the iPod's EQ ability is fair, but it's one thing to say that the iPod has a poor EQ and another to say that its sound quality is subpar. There are a lot of people out there who enjoy a balanced sound over that with boosted highs and lows.

Moreover, Jagorev still has you on the point about the Samsung. If you haven't heard it, how do you know for sure that it has better sound quality than the iPod? I've used an extensive range of mp3 players, and I've come to the conclusion that the only real way to judge sound quality is to actually listen to the device. I personally think that the black/white screen Creative Micro has impressive sound quality, but I remember reading here that another person thought it sounded terrible. Who are you going to believe?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Portable Source Gear
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Source Gear › Best sounding MP3-player